A&E Sun Chaser awning fabric replacement (Easy DIY method)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rddub

Hi all,

Just joined after gleaning a lot of good info over the years.  I shall attempt to give back a little.  On a recent trip I left my awning out with a storm brewing...Lesson learned..Close it up before you leave.  I hit the web a found a replacement and ordered from http://www.rvpartscountry.com/RVAwnings.  It was received in short order.  I studied the A&E replacement guide and scoured the web.  Everything seemed to involve messing with tension springs ???  I was determined to do it without touching the springs.  Knuckle heads such as myself should never play with things under high tension.  Mr. Murphy is always waiting in the wings.  Pictures below show how I did it.  It was very painless and took about 2.5 hours (including beer breaks).  It required three helpers, A drill motor/3/8" bit, Dremel with cutting wheel and cylinder grinding bit, Dicor 501LSW self-leveling lap cement (great stuff BTW), Latex caulk and a cold 12 pack for the helpers.

Hope this helps...Ron

Attachments

• Step 1 support.jpg
    Step 1 support.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 298
  • Step 2 disconnect top mount.jpg
    Step 2 disconnect top mount.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 249
  • step 3 drill out cap.jpg
    step 3 drill out cap.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 248
  • step 4 cut notch-debur.jpg
    step 4 cut notch-debur.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 248
  • step 5 slid on bottom.jpg
    step 5 slid on bottom.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 240
  • step 5A slide on top.jpg
    step 5A slide on top.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 229
  • step 6 reattatch top mount and roll up-Done..jpg
    step 6 reattatch top mount and roll up-Done..jpg
    78 KB · Views: 228
I second that! Very well done, I will be doing that job within another season or two. I really appreciate the time you took to document the process.

Thanks

I really appreciate the info and pictures.  I came up with this idea about a week ago, and have been trying to research it online.  Your pictures and method are exactly what I was thinking, but you've taken all the guesswork out of it for me.

Happy Camping

Thanks for the pics and instructions!  Just replaced the awning on our trailer using this method and it was much simpler this way!  One little trick we added was using generous amounts of dish soap in the tracks when feeding the awning in to help lubricate it along.  Should make for some interesting suds the first time this new awning sees rain!

Super job.  Exactly the way I replaced mine years ago.. including the beer.

Just shows great minds think alike....or is it we just need another reason to drink more beer?!?!?!?!?!

Wi1dBi11

Thanks for the great tutorial. Have you had any problems with wasps getting in the tube after the end holes were drilled?  Did you cover them up somehow?  And where did you get your fabric replacement? There are a lot to chose from online. Are you happy with it?

Mud dauber wasps will plug up the holes for you, but you can always stick a plug of caulk in there if you want to do-it-yourself. I like to use a piece of rope or ribbon caulk for something like that because it is easier to remove if needed in the future, but a squeeze tube caulk works too.

To rddub

Do you know what the difference is between the 8500 and the Sunchaser? I like the colors of the 8500 fabric but not sure if it will work on my Sunchaser. I need some help.

I did mine several years ago but I disassembled the entire tube by drilling out the pop rivets.  I pulled both ends out, removed the rust from the two rods and springs, greased everything and reassembled using new pop rivets.  Much smoother rolling and unrolling.

Back
Top Bottom