Canada's New Duty Free Limits: June 1, 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

Effective June 1, 2012, Canadian residents returning to Canada will benefit from increases to personal exemption limits.

Complete official information on the Canadian Border Service Agencies website

In summary, the duty-free limit on visits of more than 24 hours quadruples, rising from $50 to $200, effective June 1.

As well, any visit longer than 48 hours allows Canadians to return with duty-free goods worth up to $800. That's an increase from the previous rules of $400 for up to a week, and $750 for longer than a week.

For stays of less than 24 hours, there's no change: the allowance for duty-free goods remains at zero.

Steve said:
Effective June 1, 2012, Canadian residents returning to Canada will benefit from increases to personal exemption limits.

Complete official information on the Canadian Border Service Agencies website

For stays of less than 24 hours, there's no change: the allowance for duty-free goods remains at zero.

Just a small point of clarification. Many goods today do not have any duty or taxes ... i.e.: groceries. So most border shoppers can do day trips and return to Canada with groceries and not have to pay any duty or taxes.

Although they say the allowance is zero for stays less than 24 hours, if most cases that is not the case. I find from personal experience that 90% of the time I can cross with $100 or less and just be "waved through". Not always so be prepared to pay if necessary. Also if you bring 6-18 bottles/cans of beer over on a day trip in most cases they will wave you through as well.

It does vary ... just make sure you declare everything. It's not worth getting caught over a few bucks.

It does vary ... just make sure you declare everything. It's not worth getting caught over a few bucks.

Yeh!! You never know, you may the one of the X% of persons that are sent 'inside' for no obvious reason and then are subjected to a search of the vehicle.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom