Weber Q Grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fuquatj

Just got a good deal on a Weber Q200 grill from Craigslist.  It has never been used.  Previous owner bought it new from Home Depot, but didn't take it out of the box for almost a year.  When he did set it up he found that the push button ignitor would not light the grill.  Since it was a year old, HD would not take it back, so he sold it at a bargain on CL.

It's strange because on a cold start, the first time I try and light it, he's correct it will not ignite the gas.  However, I've found that if I light it one time manually with a match or lighter, then turn it off.......it will then light easily from the spark produced by the ignitor (that is until it sits awhile, then again it won't work).

Has anyone ever encountered this?  Any ideas short of replacing the ignitor?

It sounds to me like the ''gizziewapper'' needs ''de-fill-a-pieing''.  This is easily done with a left handed monkey wrench and a ''whippie-doodle''.    You will need a good flashlight, some rope, a playing card, three copper pennies, an old tire, some tape  and a small hammer.  (note, a small rock can be substuted for the small hammer)
go to page 1647, paragraph two, line seven and read the proper instructions in the owners manual and you will find out how really simple the adjustment is to do, especially in the dark, while it is raining, out doors, in the wind.  I personally have done this adjustment while I was drunk so I am sure you will have not trouble......lol....

All in fun my brother...... Be safe .....cj..

Try a new battery. If that does not fix the problem, call Weber help line. You may need to replace the igniter.

It's not the igniter if it works some of the time.  I suspect you're not waiting long enough for the propane to fill the lines and burners before lighting when it's been sitting unused for a while with the propane turned off.

Everything lights easier when it's hot  ;)

Does the igniter really use a battery, or is it the common piezo variety? If so, it should be cheap and easy to replace, just to see if it helps. Other than that, is there a little shroud around the igniter end that might be turned backwards?

Mike is the Weber rep for this area. He says that the igniter on the Q200 is a piezo, no battery, and it's guaranteed by Weber for 2 years. So you can call Weber, tell them what the grill is doing and if it's the igniter, they'll send you one for free.

The guy who sold you the grill either told you a story or he blew it because Home Depot has the most lenient return policy in the world and he could have just taken it back with no receipt for a refund (probably store credit). You should see some of the dirty, messed up grills they've taken back on refunds.

Wendy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom