Would someone explain "Smart Phones" to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I have been using dumb phones forever but recently the display screen on my dumb phone broke so it is time to invest in a new phone. I really don't use a phone very much, so I have had a pay-as-you-go phone for the last ten years. I have been with Verizon for the last two years. $100 worth of air time would last me a year. I went to Verizon's site to order a new dumb phone and discovered that they now offer pay-as-you-go smart phones. I don't really know if I want one mainly because I have paid no attention to the smart phone market so I don't understand anything about how it all works. Would someone please give me a Smart Phone 101 explanation?

The phone I would be getting is the Samsung Illusion. Where does that one fit into the scheme of smart phones.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Illusion-Prepaid-Android-Wireless/dp/B007XWA0JE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338644263&sr=8-1

Please don't bother telling me I should get an iPhone. I would rather eat bugs.

I think all the prepaid Smartphone plans are 30 days at a time. Not cheap! I would be ok if they would sell a 1 gigabit or 5 gigabit plan with on time limit, but I don't see one.

My plan with Verizon is not a 30 day plan. I buy $100 worth of air time and that gives me one year of service. Air time is 25 cents a minute so that gives me 400 minutes a year which is all that I need right now since I don't surf the web or talk very much on my phone.

I see little reason to get a Smart phone is you aren't going to use it much. All it will do is cost more because it requires a data plan as well as voice service. Data services cost anywhere from $30 to $80 per month, depending on the volume of data you need. YOU are required to have a data plan for a smart phone, whether you plan to use it or not. I am not aware of any "pay as you go" data, though you can pay for text and photos.

A Smart Phone is a handheld computer with its own internet access. It can do lots of things, including browse internet, do GPS navigation, keep notes, take and send pictures to others, etc. If you get into that stuff, it's a terrifically handy tool. If you don't, it's a waste of money.

You are right Gary, there are no pay as you go data plans. Verizons cheapest data plan is $30 per month. I forgot all about data plans. I don't think I would use it enough to justify it.

Barb said:
Take a stroll over to the local wal mart, and check out their pay as you go dumb phones.
There is no local Walmart. I have seen the pay as you go dumb phones at Walmart. I don't really need a new phone, it works fine like it is. The phone screen has broke and I am considering replacing it with a smart phone.

I'm in the same boat as Bob.  I am ready for a new phone but don't really have the need for a smart phone.  If it wasn't for the high cost of the data plan I would get one.  I just don't think I would get $30 of benefit out of the smart phone each month.

Run a Google search on 'smart phone without a data plan' and you'll find a number of options, although they're mainly back-door solutions One of the carriers has been reported to be closing the door. Besides making phone calls, how do folks use a smart phone without a data plan? They use someone else's WiFi.

Tom, if there are any Verizon stores or franchises nearby, I'd check with them.  It is entirely possible they can provide you with a "simple" phone - possibly at little or no charge if you ask if they have any returns available.

I'm like you in that I don't use a cell phone much so I use the Verizon pay-as-you go for $100/yr.  So far I've not come close to using all my time, but it's nice to have in case of emergency.  I got a notice I could upgrade to a smart phone, but since I use Verizon data services (MiFi) I have little or no use for it.

Barb said:
They have pay as you go smart phones also. Check out Radio Shack. There are lots of places that sells pay as you go. Is pay as you go an option from the Verizon store?
I am looking for a pay as you go smart phone from Verizon. I will not consider any other carriers since I am a full timer. Pay as you go is an option from Verizon, I have been using one for the last two years.

Tom said:
Run a Google search on 'smart phone without a data plan' and you'll find a number of options, although they're mainly back-door solutions One of the carriers has been reported to be closing the door. Besides making phone calls, how do folks use a smart phone without a data plan? They use someone else's WiFi.
I did the search and was not impressed. I don't want a smart phone with no data plan and I don't want to depend on Wifi. So I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and get a data plan.

Molaker said:
Tom, if there are any Verizon stores or franchises nearby, I'd check with them.  It is entirely possible they can provide you with a "simple" phone - possibly at little or no charge if you ask if they have any returns available.

I'm like you in that I don't use a cell phone much so I use the Verizon pay-as-you go for $100/yr.  So far I've not come close to using all my time, but it's nice to have in case of emergency.  I got a notice I could upgrade to a smart phone, but since I use Verizon data services (MiFi) I have little or no use for it.
I was at the local Verizon store yesterday and they had no pay as you go phones. I can get a new dumb phone for only $20. I am just trying to figure out if the $30 a month data plan would be beneficial for me.

How do you get online now? I know people who use their smart phone to access the internet. They make their phone a "hot spot" and use it to get online. It costs them the same for the phone data plan as they were paying before for access.

Wendy

zzyzx said:
  I am just trying to figure out if the $30 a month data plan would be beneficial for me.
You would be surprised with what you can do and will do with the $30.00 plan. It is great for the weather, and road conditions.

Wendy - I have a Verizon 4G air card.

There are some cool things that can be done with a smart phone, I just can't see that it would be worth $30 a month to do cool things.

I am one of the long time die-hards that did NOT want a smartphone, thought it was ridiculous, waste of $$...yada yada yada.  Every where you go people are on their smartphones texting, looking up stuff.  Well, Tim's Verizon phone bit the dust and he got a smartphone with the $30.00 data plan.  I LOVE the darn thing.  It is amazing what it can do and it can hook up to any local wifi not just the 4G Verizon service.  We are in the Olympic Peninsula and it even warned us that we were close to the Canadian border and would be charged so much a minute for usage.  I can't wait until I can get one of my own.

Marsha~

I'm the same as Marsha. Didn't want no stupid smart phone. Mike talked me into an iPhone and I'd cut off your hand if you tried to take it away from me. Now Mike's sorry he got me one and not one for himself. He'll be getting his own smart phone (probably not an iphone) when he gets to his "free every 2 years" date. We have tons of aps on the iphone including a 360-degree ap that does pano pictures, lots of RV-related aps, hiking, pedometer, all my field guides (birds, trees, flowers, scat, all in one place), weight watchers, festival locations, and more. For us, it's easily worth the $30. And with a smart phone, you can set up the phone as a hot spot and use it for internet access. You never know, Tom, you might like it. I remember a few years ago when you never paid to stay at campgrounds and look at you now :)

Wendy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom