Would someone explain "Smart Phones" to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a smart phone for a couple of years.  Finally figured out that I can get a prepaid AT&T dumb phone that does have the capability to get on the web but isn't smart, and it costs $50/month prepaid, with no contract.  I saved approximately $60 per month from what I was paying for the smart phone on a contract.  I spent $25 per month of my savings on a data plan for my I-pad.  Now I can actually read my email due to the I-pad screen being so much larger than the former smart phone, and I'm still putting $35 per month in my pocket in savings.

I find that my smart phone has made several things more convenient than previous semi-smart and dumb phones, so that I do them more. Not that any of those things are necessary, but it has lead to extra enjoyment for me and (hopefully) for some others as well. I don't expect any of this to impress Tom, but it does speak to his "why" question:

Some of the more convenient functions I use (in no particular order):

1. I text more and more often because the keyboard is easier to use and the "smart" keyboard makes typing easier.
2. I snap photos of interesting or whimsical things and send them to close friends/relatives whom I believe would be interested
3. I occasionally add events and photos to our Facebook account to keep friends advised of what we are up to
4. I look up trivia immediately when a question arises in conversation, e.g. "what was the name of that actor who played...". Not at all important, but fun in a social setting.
5. When shopping for anything at all I can and do price compare instantly.
6. I check weather forecasts as needed and also get severe weather warnings for my immediate geographic area (because my smart phone knows where I am via its GPS and also via the IP address). I think this is really valuable function for an RVer or anybody who travels a lot.
7. I carry a lot of photos with me now because the screen is large enough and the images good enough to make showing others a reasonable thing.
8. I use the phone to listen to and identify broadcast music that I have forgotten the title of or the recording group or whatever. Great assist for my failing memory...
9. When I find myself waiting around somewhere, e.g. a doctor office, I whip out the phone and start reading one of the several e-books I have stored there.
10.I use the Flashlight function every once in awhile. Maybe about every 6-8 weeks. Handy to have a flashlight in your pocket at all times.
11.I use a Shopping List app to help me remember what I went to the store for, something that is increasingly necessary for me.

I could do many of these on my previous semi-smart phone (aka "feature phone"), but it wasn't any where near as easy or quality, so I seldom did it. Therefore I have to say that the smart phone "enabled" me to do more.

Well said Gary... That's why I pay for smart phones for my two 'young adults' !!!  They love taking advantage of all your points!!!

Thank you for that post Gary.  I don't know why you think it would not impress me. That is a very impressive list. It just doesn't impress me enough to want to spend $30 a month for a data package.

A smart phone is a dumb phone that isn't smart enough to operate by it self- it has to have internet to operate as a phone and with Verizon, that was $18 a month hidden costs. Got rid of the Droid and the expense and flip phone is great. Rarely call a wrong number because of my big fingers now. Love Verizon's coverage though.

It just doesn't impress me enough to want to spend $30 a month for a data package.

Well, yes, that's what I meant.  ;)

I felt the same for about three years, but eventually I saw enough things interesting things to do that I relented enough to try it. Once I got it, I found even more things that became attractive because they were now easy to do and/or more timely. That's the nature of an enabling technology - usage grows because people learn to do things they had not considered practical or beneficial before.

it has to have internet to operate as a phone and with Verizon

Not so. It can make phone calls all day long without an internet connection. If you were thinking that smart phones use VOIP to make voice calls, that is not the case. They do have that capability, though, which is yet another thing one might do with a smart phone.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I find that my smart phone has made several things more convenient than previous semi-smart and dumb phones, so that I do them more. Not that any of those things are necessary, but it has lead to extra enjoyment for me and (hopefully) for some others as well. I don't expect any of this to impress Tom, but it does speak to his "why" question:

Some of the more convenient functions I use (in no particular order):

1. I text more and more often because the keyboard is easier to use and the "smart" keyboard makes typing easier.
2. I snap photos of interesting or whimsical things and send them to close friends/relatives whom I believe would be interested
3. I occasionally add events and photos to our Facebook account to keep friends advised of what we are up to
4. I look up trivia immediately when a question arises in conversation, e.g. "what was the name of that actor who played...". Not at all important, but fun in a social setting.
5. When shopping for anything at all I can and do price compare instantly.
6. I check weather forecasts as needed and also get severe weather warnings for my immediate geographic area (because my smart phone knows where I am via its GPS and also via the IP address). I think this is really valuable function for an RVer or anybody who travels a lot.
7. I carry a lot of photos with me now because the screen is large enough and the images good enough to make showing others a reasonable thing.
8. I use the phone to listen to and identify broadcast music that I have forgotten the title of or the recording group or whatever. Great assist for my failing memory...
9. When I find myself waiting around somewhere, e.g. a doctor office, I whip out the phone and start reading one of the several e-books I have stored there.
10.I use the Flashlight function every once in awhile. Maybe about every 6-8 weeks. Handy to have a flashlight in your pocket at all times.
11.I use a Shopping List app to help me remember what I went to the store for, something that is increasingly necessary for me.

I could do many of these on my previous semi-smart phone (aka "feature phone"), but it wasn't any where near as easy or quality, so I seldom did it. Therefore I have to say that the smart phone "enabled" me to do more.

adding a few items:

1. App called "gas buddy" shows where fuel/gas stations are located on a map centered on our current location with prices of fuel.  The fuel prices have been updated, often hourly, by customers using the app.  So you can find stations and prices easily.
2. Voice search for "whatever"... for instance, if you are in a new city and want to find a CostCo, do a verbal search and in 10 seconds or so, you get a map and directions to the store... or restaurant, or grocery store, or repair shop or wh, atever
3. draw app: amazing app that allows me to make a sketch of anything using the touch screen, save the image, print the image, etc
4. engineering calculator/unit converter: instantly recall many engineering constants and make unit conversions as needed.
5.financial apps: fidelity, credit union, banks, etc... get stock quotes anywhere, check orders, do transfers, etc
6.internet forums: lots of forums have mobile apps
7.twitter app: nuff said
8. TED app: listen and view TED talks
9.Google apps: instant contacts sync; email sync; calendar sync;... many others across PC's, phones, tablets, etc
10. moblle hotspot app: modem/router for other computers as needed
11. golf gps app: instant distance from your location to the front, center and back of the green at any golf course in the country
12. 500,000 other apps on every conceivable subject you can imagine. just go to Google play and do a search of apps.
13. angry birds apps: endless entertainment by the angry birds... crazy
14.  news apps: endless
15. eBay/ amazon apps: shopping, info, streaming movies, tv shows, cloud storage of documents, sell stuff
16. travel apps: make reservations, check availability, see photos of sights,
17. Verizon wireless app: check on phone minutes used, data used, bills, etc

you probably get the point... other people probably have much longer apps lists

Tom, I think you have answered your own question. Smart phones can be a great tool to have if you want to use them for many of the uses described in this thread. If you just want to use a phone for phone calls you have no good reason for a smart phone and it's additional costs.

I did not read all 3 pages..so I might be saying something already said....If you like the phone you have....just Google the model # and I'm sure you should or could find it somewhere.  Then it a simple swap of the chip by the carrier to change the new phone serial #.  That way you do not need to get a plan you don't need or want...Just a suggestion.

Verizon told me correctly or incorrectly that my Droid 2 will not work if I turn off the Internet-which I did and got the Convoy. I can still use the Droid as a Browser if I turn on my MIFI or am near a hot spot but usually just use my laptop and MIFI. Might consider taking the MIFI and Droid with me when running around so I can use Google or Google maps? Right now I'm trying to upgrade to 4G without upgrading my costs. I'm coming up on our two year renewall.

When we travel my wife and I use her phone, a five year old "dumb"phone that just makes calls.  This is all just my opinion but I use my laptop to access the web when we can find a site with wifi, or just do without.  We have a fairly good digital camera to take pics and we both have ebooks, which are amazing for my old eyes, backlit and can make the font as big as I need.  All of our kids have smartphones and are looking forward to the new iphone coming out but I just don't see the need for it myself.  I would probably change my mind if I got to futzing around with one but cant really justify the expense.

Just my 2cents...

Back
Top Bottom