EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Where are the handymen ... or women out there??  (Read 4247 times)

Karsty

• ---
  • Niagara Falls, Ontario CANADA
    • PBASE PHOTO GALLERYS
I have recently encountered a number of minor issues with my ERA. I'll chalk them up to "growing pains" ... but they are annoying and need to be repaired. Now ... before anyone suggests going to the dealer ... forget about it!! They are at best incompetent and I don't trust them. I have had words with their service people and just don't have any faith in them. I am doing most of the repairs myself.

HOWEVER ... this one I am not sure how to best make the repair. It is the 12V socket that is located in the rear of the coach in a cabinet wall. See attached photo.

For some reason the socket has come out of the cabinet and is just hanging by the wires. It is still functional and I can use it. I figure it should have some kind of locking or screw on washer or clip that secures it from the inside of the cabinet. Before I remove the microwave to see if the washer or clip just fell off perhaps someone might have some thoughts.

I don't really want to glue the silly thing to the wall .... which is what the dealer was going to do ... in the event I have to replace it in the future.

Thanks much.

Karsten (Karsty)

2012 Winnebago ERA.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Cant Wait

• ---
Re: ASSISTANCE NEEDED - Where are the handymen ... or women out there??
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »
The nut that threads on the back of it inside the cabinet has come un screwed, If you can open the cabinet you'll find the plastic n ut aroound the wires leading up to the outlet. Just push the plug back in place and thread the nut back on it and tighten the nut down.
2012 Winnebago "Our Incredible Journey"  40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2005 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now
Home - Western NY

Karsty

• ---
    • PBASE PHOTO GALLERYS
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 12:42:35 PM »
The nut that threads on the back of it inside the cabinet has come un screwed, If you can open the cabinet you'll find the plastic n ut aroound the wires leading up to the outlet. Just push the plug back in place and thread the nut back on it and tighten the nut down.

That makes sense to me. I will have to remove the microwave in order to gain access. No ... wait, there is a drawer down there somewhere that I may be able to remove and reach in and screw it back on ... I'll give it a try and let you know.

Thanks so much.
2012 Winnebago ERA.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

Karsty

• ---
    • PBASE PHOTO GALLERYS
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 01:29:47 PM »
BINGO ... problem solved. I did have to remove the microwave, but that was only held in by four screws.

Repair done in 4 minutes ... the dealer wanted an hour to "glue it."

Thanks so much.

Now back to make several other repairs.

Karsten
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 01:31:22 PM by Karsty »
2012 Winnebago ERA.

Gottasmilealot

• ---
  • 1995 Sunline T-2053
    • 1995 Sunline T-2053; 1998 Dodge Dakota 4WD
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 07:39:48 AM »
The dealer probably knows that it's a common problem due to vibration. If it happens again, a drop of glue on the nut probably is a good solution that you can do yourself.
Keith

Karsty

• ---
    • PBASE PHOTO GALLERYS
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 09:04:07 AM »
The dealer probably knows that it's a common problem due to vibration. If it happens again, a drop of glue on the nut probably is a good solution that you can do yourself.

I agree ... however when I was talking to one of the technicians he mentioned maybe using some silicone on the back of the nut. That seemed like a reasonable idea so if/when it comes lose again I will try one or both to solve the problem.

Thanks for the thoughts.
2012 Winnebago ERA.

davencjkan

• ---
  • Still Full Timing and Love It
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 05:22:57 PM »
Karsten - I have never been particularly handy, but I have blossomed after owning RV's - mine aren't as new as yours, but the probs are still the same.  I sometimes amaze myself with what i can do and sometimes I know that I am the dumbest person in the world.  Keep at it - it's worth it.
Dave, Carol (DW), Kathy (SIL and Carol's twin), Shadow (he's a silver back terrier/poodle and we're his people) Peaches (a miniature dachshund) and Duchess (she's a Pekingese/Pomeranian)
Oh, and "R Lady Liberty" our 36' Travelcraft Class A

Karsty

• ---
    • PBASE PHOTO GALLERYS
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 05:31:58 PM »
Karsten - I have never been particularly handy, but I have blossomed after owning RV's - mine aren't as new as yours, but the probs are still the same.  I sometimes amaze myself with what i can do and sometimes I know that I am the dumbest person in the world.  Keep at it - it's worth it.

Thanks for your encouragement ... I have to agree that experience is the best teacher and I am slowly learning some of the ins and outs of the RV. At times it is frustrating. If we were talking computers or cameras ... no problem. I can work on them ... including most software applications. When it comes to mechanics and handyman stuff ... forget about it. But I am learning.

Just finished winterizing the RV for the first time. Doesn't appear to be any issues ... but I suppose when I un-winterize it in the spring and see how many leaks there are ... that will tell the story. Hopefully none.  :)
2012 Winnebago ERA.

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 10:07:31 AM »
Next time it happens lube the threads with a bit of GOOP adheasive before you screw it back on,, Once it dries, it won't come out again.

GOOP comes in many "Flavors" for this job, all work well.

or you could use epoxy or any other slow drying adheasive.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Karsty

• ---
    • PBASE PHOTO GALLERYS
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 10:14:37 AM »
Next time it happens lube the threads with a bit of GOOP adheasive before you screw it back on,, Once it dries, it won't come out again.

GOOP comes in many "Flavors" for this job, all work well.

or you could use epoxy or any other slow drying adheasive.

The last time I made the repair it lasted for a while ... but I use the 12V receptacle at the rear a lot. I use it for my CPAP machine at night. I also use it with an inverter to charge phones, internet devices and my computer at times ... so it gets a lot of use. And sure enough it has come loose again and is just hanging loose.

So ... this time I will use some type of "GOOP" to secure the retention ring in place.

I have to say though that it is very poorly designed/installed by Winnebago in the first place.
2012 Winnebago ERA.

kjansen

• ---
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 11:00:56 AM »
I have used a drop of nail polish on alot of applications like this.  It holds very well but with some pressure it can be taken apart and fixed if necessary.
Keven Jansen
'06 Chevy 2500 Duramax
'02 Montana Big Sky
Alexandria, Mn

peterseaford

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 12:23:17 AM »
just read your post and see you have done the job.

we like to do "things" as well and would suggest that you search "you tube" - they do most things that we need done and even if the job is larger than you want to take on at least you know what's required of your service man even before he looks.

regards

peter

Karsty

• ---
    • PBASE PHOTO GALLERYS
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 11:53:38 AM »
just read your post and see you have done the job.

we like to do "things" as well and would suggest that you search "you tube" - they do most things that we need done and even if the job is larger than you want to take on at least you know what's required of your service man even before he looks.

regards

peter

Thanks Peter ... YouTube and GOOGLE have become my constant companion since I got my RV. They have been very helpful in learning the ins and outs of RVing.

Thanks

Karsty
2012 Winnebago ERA.

Hosted by Over The Network