Reupholstery - Product Suggestions, thinking Vinyl/Faux Leather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zippinbye

As I work to remodel the living area of our 5th wheel, the upholstery must be addressed.  Allergies to some sort of animal that must have been in the new-to-us rig is what drove the project.  Hence, most porous things are going, from carpet to furniture materials.  I decided to retain the sofa, since it is a peculiar RV size and a fold-out sleeper.  Looks like paying an upholstery shop to take it down to the wood frame and replace everything is more practical than buying a new one and trying to get a match to other furnishings.  So we will do matching the sofa and dinette reupholstery at the same time  - the dinette is simple, just removable bottom and back cushions.  What's causing grief is choosing a material.  Original is cloth.  I'm thinking I want something a bit less absorbent, easy to wipe-down. We have kids, so it must be durable and cleanable.  Leather is pretty expensive.  Some of the vinyl and faux leather products look great and seem resilient.  But I'm worried about breathability.  One shop I got an estimate from suggested faux leather in a two tone (I'm thinking beige and a brown), which I think would look elegant.  One of the colors would be in the specific seat/back area, in a perforated variety for coolness. The surrounds would be solid.  But I know perforated would be a step back toward my original concern with cloth ... spills and other stuff could penetrate.  When I look at new RVs, I don't see much vinyl.  They just jump from cloth to leather.  But I think my budget is vinyl.  Any thoughts on the perforated vinyl idea, and materials in general?

We reupholstered all of our furniture including the captains chairs with Ultraleather Plus, the most durable Ultraleather.
Note there are a lot of knock offs out there that are cheaper. The cheapest we found for true Ultraleather was $60 per yard. Ultraleather is a polyurethane product. You can see it HERE .
It has a much better hand (feel) than vinyl and according to their ads is not as hot or cold as vinyl .

Their ad says:
"In tests conducted to determine heat retention using vinyl, leather and Ultraleather? for seating applications it was determined that Ultraleather? was 20% cooler than vinyl and 13% cooler than leather"

Usually the knock offs are two words - Ultra Leather - rather than the trademarked Ultraleather.

We used the fabric removed as patterns. Our furniture was eight years old so we also bought  new high quality and higher density foam for  the dinette cushions. We should have replaced the couch foam at the same time but didn't. We will probably have to replace the couch foam sometime in the future.

I have been updating our Damon Daybreak slowly since purchasing it in December 2011. I have used faux leather on all of the upholstery and window pelmets. I decided on a two tone design to make it a little more interesting. I'll start a thread in the correct part of the forum and document what I have done so far.

Attachments

• lounge new3.jpg
    lounge new3.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 80
  • second settee new.jpg
    second settee new.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 60
Clay is on the money. As a distributor of Ultrafabrics, the company behind Ultraleather and Brisa (the two most popular synthetic fabrics used in RVs), I can attest that while knockoff options offer a lower price tag , you are compromising on quality.

Brisa is actually a premium polycarbonate resin surface, which is stronger than its polyurethane counterpart. It has microscopic holes built in which allow the fabric to breathe as your body rests against the seat.

You can sign up directly with Ultrafabrics, and solicit samples from them with a free account. They'll send you 6" x 6" samples to help in your decision making. Find them at ultrafabricsllc.com.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom