1000 allison problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boomer1389

I have a 2003 duramax 6.6 with a 2001 allison transmission. I just completed changing the the torque converter because of the welds on the tab that bolt to the flex plate were leaking. Now after I completed replacing the torque  with a rebuild one and put new fluid in the tranny, I have no reverse and the transmission feels like it slipping and I can't go over 20 KHM.Any body have any thoughts

Check your fluid level.  What type of ATF did you install?
If you exchanged the torque converter the new one is going to suck up lots of fluid until it gets full.  That would allow your transmission to be low on fluid.  Also are you completely sure you connected all of the switches and sensors back up properly and that none of them were damaged during the change process?

The fluid level is full (approx 4 - 4.5 gallons) and I used AMSOIL torque drive for the fluid. All sensors and plugs are installed correctly and none were damaged. Unfortunatly this is not the first time I changed the torque for this problem.

Is that oil compatible with transynd?  Because that is the only oil that Allison recommends for the 1000 automatic.
If you are positive that nothing is damaged then I guess it is time to start reading codes.  I still suspect that you have a dead sensor.

Do you think it would be possibile that rebuild torque could be defective? and would that be the side affects of a failed torque????? or could be a the pump failing???

Of course a rebuilt anything could be bad out of the box.  I remember once installing three AC compressors on one of my cars because they were DOA.  But you still should be able to pull some codes out of the ECM/TCM to tell you what is happening.  All new automatics have about as many sensors and such as the modern engines do.  And they talk to each other constantly.
To be honest I would start to wonder what is going on with you having to install a third Torque converter unless you have a million miles on the truck?

4.5 gallons is way too much fluid. A total drain would be 12 liters, 12.7 quarts. Rebuild usually is in the 7 quart range. Too much fluid will cause the problems you describe.

4.5 gallons is the corret amount of tranny fluid for a total refill with the deep pan. The speed sensor came unplug just enoungh that it was still in the socket but it wasn't making a connection, 100$ bill to GM for their  computer to tell me that.

Back
Top Bottom