truck bedliner for doghouse???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clemon

hi folks. I'm looking for options to refinish the doghouse in my '92 Southwind.

The old carpet literally fell off the fiberglass shell, so I'm thinking that with some sanding I can get the rest of the adhesive residue off and get it ready for the refurb.

I'm wondering if a brush-on truck bed liner product like Dupli-Color will bond properly and/or provide a decent surface finish to the doghouse? Am I better off to simply prime and paint it? I'm avoiding re-carpeting on purpose as my family has allergies that like to hide in carpet.....

I'd also like to install something waterproof on at least the drivers side floor in the cockpit, as carpet is really not the thing for wet footwear, but perhaps that's another post!

If it can be completely removed from the mh you should take it's rough measurements and a picture, and stop by a Linex or other pick up bed spraying outfit and price out what they would charge. We used to have speaker enclosures done all the time and the cost on something small was really reasonable .... plus it comes in colors. I've never used the brush on, so I'm not sure how that would work, but I would think it wouldn't be a problem.

I'm not sure if that's the best thing for you.  I think it will look good, but probably will let in additional road noise, and probably engine heat.

Having said that, if you do decide to use the roll on bedliner, remember this :  prep work is your friend !!!!  The more time you spend preping the surface, the better adhesion you will have.  While I truly feel Line-X is the best spray on bed liner, Herculiner is the best roll-on.  A lot of ATV guys use Herculiner on their machines with very good results.  One of the biggest advantages to the Herculiner is that it can be "patched" without having to remove the existing material.  It will adhere to itself, where the others will not.

Here's a couple of pics of my bike to give you an idea.  All the fender edges are done in Herculiner.  It's been there about 1 yr, and a few hundred miles through trails, and not even a chip or crack.

http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp11/tekrsq/ATVs/DSC02268-2.jpg
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp11/tekrsq/ATVs/DSC02239.jpg
http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp11/tekrsq/ATVs/DSC02245.jpg

Thanks for the tips, guys. I plan to add insulation inside the doghouse lid to counter the road/engine noise issue. I'll be looking for a local Herculiner dealer and check it out!

If you are still open to other ideas you may want to check out what ShakenBake did with his doghouse in this thread. I thought it was so cool that this is the 2nd time that I have passed it on. ;)

Good luck with whatever you choose to do and don't forget to come back with pics  :)

Yep - shakenbake's done some great work on his rig. On re-reading the post, though, his doghouse is covered in automotive carpet. looks good, but I think it might still hold the dirt and grit like the original carpet covering. I'll try out the bedliner material. If I don't like the results I can always put carpet over that!

By way of an update, I finished applying the bedliner to the doghouse today. I think it turned out pretty well! Once the prep work and taping off of not-to-be-painted stuff was done (90% of the work!), actually applying the bedliner was dead simple - just like painting.

I put the recommended two coats on and reattached the hardware. The can says touch-ups/redos can be done at any time, so I'll keep the extra stuff around. Thinking I may also use it on my fold-out entrance steps as a non-skid option to that crappy grit tape that's there now....

Attachments

• phpZzDy79PM.jpg
    phpZzDy79PM.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 73
Water Dog said:
Looks great...!

X2  !!!

It sounds like you used the Herculiner, which is nice.  Once it's hardened, it's still flexible enough not to crack or chip as the doghouse moves, twists, etc with the motion of the coach.  And if it does, or you manage to chip it somehow, you simply reapply material.

Have you had a chance to take it out yet to see if you picked up any increase in engine noise or heat ?

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

I haven't had it out yet for a test run - I'm painting walls tomorrow and then installing Allure flooring, so the captain's chairs will be out for a bit yet. That gives me time, though, to pick up and install some foil-type insulation to the underside of the doghouse lid. Hoping it helps with noise/heat. I anticipate a bit more noise, as the carpet over everything would have muffled the works to a degree, but the insulation plus the heavy (acosutic dampening) Allure floor should at least replace what I took out - I hope!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom