Warranty - when does it actually end ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

We reached 10,000 miles on the RV today.

Fleetwood only provide 15,000 miles or 12 months of Warranty cover.

Our coach had 1188 delivery miles on it when we purchased it, so would our Warranty start from that date ?

This would mean a mileage of 16,188 before the Warranty expires.

Advice anyone ?

It would certainly pay to take a factory delivery if the delivery mileage reduces your Warranty when new.

Paul

Paul

One of the documents you received at closing was a certificate of Mileage, 1,188 in your case. That is where your warranties start. You must make sure that the OEM suppliers, engine (CAT or Cummins), chassis (Freightliner or Spartan), transmission (Allison) all have your purchase on file, including the mileage at purchase. You should contact each of them with your part serial number to make sure you are properly registered with them.

Paul in his opening posting mentions
It would certainly pay to take a factory delivery if the delivery mileage reduces your Warranty when new.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying or taking delivery from the factory?

This option isn't available in the UK........well I don't think it is?

Mick,

Factory delivery means that you actually pick up the coach at the factory or, in the case of Monaco in Oregon, at their service center 10 miles up the road from the factory. They assign techs to your coach for several days while you go over every inch of the coach and try everything out at your leisure. You'll even be staying in the coach during that time, so you really do get to check everything. Anything that's not right gets fixed by their techs and you don't drive away unless/until you're happy with it.

This contrasts with the typical dealer "walk through" that lasts an hour or two. If you're lucky, you find a few problems and get them fixed. Paul's experience showed that he really had a hard time getting things fixed after handing over his money to the dealer.

Factory delivery is obviously only available to someone who can get to the factory, but it doesn't matter where that person lives (U.S. or UK). You just specify factory delivery when you place your order with a dealer. It does, however, mean that you have to wait for the coach to be built - a few months, depending on production schedules. In any event, you will be making your deal with and buying from a dealer, just as if you bought the coach from a dealer's lot; You're merely changing the point of delivery.

Check the article entitled Taking factory delivery by clicking the Library button above and selecting Newcomers need to know.

Tom

Am I correct in thinking it costs $1,000+ extra to have the Factory Delivery ?

I would think bigger discounts are available at the dealer for a coach that has been sitting there a while, rather than a model they don't physically have - or is that not the case.

Dont forget Mick, that you would most likely want to sit in, 'feel' and drive your coach choice before placing an order and then you would have the hassle of getting to the factory - even if they could miraculously build you your chosen coach (layout, fabrics etc) within a week or two.

Whilst Factory Delivery does sound nice (from what Tom has stated above), I dont think someone from the UK would have the luxury of taking that option due to timescales alone.

Paul

Paul,

Factory delivery used to be quoted at $750, but I've seen it as high as $1,500. Presumably, this might be offset to some degree by not having to pay delivery charges to the dealer, although I don't know this for a fact.

Given what you went through, I'd think that any incremental cost of factory delivery would be well worth it  ???

... you would most likely want to sit in, 'feel' and drive your coach choice before placing an order

That's true Paul, but most of the factories will allow you to tour various models of coach on their lot, irrespective of whether you plan to buy. One factory offered us a test drive, but I have no idea if that's possible at all factories.

.... then you would have the hassle of getting to the factory - even if they could miraculously build you your chosen coach (layout, fabrics etc) within a week or two.

Not really a hassle - just catch a flight &/or take a rental car. Forget building the coach in a week or two though. OTOH custom choices won't be available on a coach already built and sitting at a dealer's lot. Don't forget that a newly ordered coach picked up at the factory won't have had lots of potential buyers tramping through it, nor will it have been driven or test driven by who knows how many people.

You'd probably get a better deal on a 1-year old coach that has sat in a dealer's lot, but you could/would still negotiate a hefty discount on a "new" coach that you're ordering.

Given the relatively high purchase price of a new coach and the hassle-free factory delivery, it could well be worth scheduling two trips across the Atlantic, one to select and order the coach and another to take delivery. As we say, you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Thanks guys for that information, I only asked because Paul mentioned it and as I said this 'option' is not given in the UK well I've never know it??

The dealer could also offer a slightly deeper discount on the sale price when you take factory delivery - they save the cost of doing the PDI and and cleaning up the rig for delivery.  The dealer pays for these out of his profit margin, but not for anyactual repairs to the RV (those are covered by factory warranty).  I would guess a typical dealers figures $200-$500 into his costs for "delivery".  And as Tom mentioned, there is no delivery charge either. That can be a little or a lot, depending on where the factory is with respect to the dealer location.

So if you intend to take factory delivery, tell the dealer up front and make it part of the price negotiation.

Back
Top Bottom