Ron Ruward Now Lives in Texas - June 4, 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArdraF

I'm so happy to finally give you all some good news!  On Thursday (May 31, 2012) Donna/Sam and Jared, the occupational therapist in Lewistown, flew with Ron to his new home in Texas.  It all went amazingly well, much to everyone?s relief.  Once the nursing home was decided upon, things moved fairly quickly.

Sam got up on Thursday before the birdies - about 4:00 a.m. - and drove over to the nursing home to pick up Ron.  They and Jared then drove the 100 miles to Great Falls where they got their first flight on Frontier to Denver.  A three-hour layover in Denver gave them plenty of time to change airlines/airplanes, eat some lunch, and get ready for the next flight.  The United flight (an Airbus!) to Dallas-Fort Worth was 15 minutes late, but basically on time.  All the airline people were very accommodating and did everything possible to make Ron comfortable.  They used the special narrow ?aisle wheelchair? to move him up and down gangways and onto the planes.

They arrived in DFW where son Steven met them, picked up their luggage, and then drove to Flower Mound where the nursing home is located.  Ron still thought he was going to Steven?s house for a visit but was too tired to object!  They were impressed that the nursing home staff was there to greet them even though it was about 10:00 p.m.  They took care of Ron immediately, showing him to his room and addressing his immediate needs.  Jared helped by showing them what Ron could do and could not do which I?m sure the staff appreciated.  On Tuesday Ron?s care staff  will evaluate him and make their own determination of what he needs.  Meanwhile, Sam was really pleased that Jared was with them on the flight and at the nursing home because he was able to help Ron a lot more than she would have been able to do.  Jared stayed at Steven?s home that night and flew home the next day.

As luck would have it, we had planned on using I-40 to go visit family but severe weather up north made us decide to drop farther south to Dallas instead.  After we made the decision, Sam and I talked and discovered we would be in Dallas at the same time!  They arrived Thursday night and we arrived Friday afternoon.  After getting set up we went over to Steven?s house and we all went to the nursing home from there.  Even though Sam had told Ron we were coming, you could see from his face that he really couldn?t believe we were there!  So, just for the record, Jerry and Ardra were Ron?s first official RV Forum framily visitors.  How I love it when a plan comes together!  We keep emphasizing that he'll have more visitors now that he's not in the boonies.

We were all worried that Ron would be unhappy about the move, but it?s turning out really well.  He told us that ?this place is much better than the other one.?  Yeeaaa!  First, he really likes the food here.  Friday morning for breakfast he had scrambled eggs that ?tasted like eggs and weren?t rubbery.?  Sam is happy he likes the food but hopes he doesn?t continue at the present pace or he?ll look like a blimp!  ;D  The second positive thing is that they?re not as shorthanded as the other place which means when he needs to go to the bathroom he doesn?t have to wait an hour.  And the third really good thing is that Ron loves being with his family.  Granddaughter Adele (age 6, graduated from kindergarten on Friday) puts a big smile on his face every time she appears.  She and mom Amy went to the nursing home early and Adele put up Ron?s favorite family pictures and then drew welcome signs for Grandpa that are on the wall outside Ron?s room.  As you might guess this little girl already knows everyone in the nursing home and they all watch her when she?s around!  She?s a live wire and smart as anything.

Today the Ruwards? other granddaughter Alexandra will arrive with her mom Lisa.  They?ll stay while Sam returns to Montana to finish packing and meet the movers in July.  Ron still asks if she?s taken the house off the market and she says no, but it still might not sink in as a permanent move until she leaves to go empty the house.  Sam will live with Steven and Amy until she decides on the next phase of her life.  They have a large house where Sam will have her own bedroom and a living room where she can set up her sewing machine at one end and have the TV and sofa at the other end.  There?s room for her own furniture which is nice.

Jerry and I have spent several hours with Ron and we?ve tried to convey all your messages.  He loved hearing all about who?s where and doing what.  He also asked us to send good wishes to both the Jims and Pats, as well as Dean, and hopes you all have speedy recoveries from your various illnesses.  If anyone wants to send him notes or cards he?d love to hear from you.  His address is:

Ron Ruward, Room 412
Cross Timbers Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center
3315 Cross Timbers Road
Flower Mound, TX 75028

Sam will probably change her telephone number so she can take advantage of Steven?s family plan, but that won?t happen until she?s back to Texas for good.

If anyone is in the area and wants to visit, we?re staying at the same place Ron and Sam used to stay when they visited Steven and Amy.  It?s 13 miles from Ron?s nursing home and an easy drive.  The RV park has a funny history.  Sam had said it was behind a liquor store and I envisioned a tacky strip mall, but it?s not like that at all,  In fact it?s a very rural area.  In 1973 it was in a ?dry? part of the county, but the man who owned this plot of land discovered he could declare it a city and then could declare his city a ?wet? area.  So he created Corral City TX which has a tiny town hall, an RV park, an Exxon gas station, a very nice convenience store (Paradise Market), and the liquor store (Spirits & Wines).

Should you want to stay at this RV park, it?s $30/night regardless of whether it?s a pull-through or back-in site.  It has three rows.  The westernmost row is mobile home sites, the middle row (odd numbered 1-71) is pull-through sites, and the easternmost row (even numbered 2-72) is back-in sites.  The back-in sites are closest to the freeway and perhaps more noisy.  It?s very nice and all sites have 50-amp electric, water, and sewer.  The roads are paved and all the sites have cement pads.  We suggest you choose an odd numbered site 1,3,5?71 because they are the long pull-thrus.

Frame-mounted propane tanks can be filled at the C-store.  There is no shower/bathroom facility so the  RV Park is really intended for self-contained RVs.  We?re using Verizon and have both 3G/4G service.  There aren?t any trees so it?s satellite friendly  There?s grass landscaping for your furry children.  When Jerry originally called the person on the telephone didn?t want to take a reservation because they?re never full ?except on NASCAR weekends? (the Texas Motor Speedway is two exits south).  It turns out they have a lot of RVs that appear to be seasonal so we recommend calling to make sure a site is available.  Also, they?re not real RV savvy and didn?t give very good directions about getting into their place.  Follow the directions below and you won?t get into the gas station and store parking lot by mistake.

Take I-35W to exit 75 (Argyle and Justin) and go west on FM-407W.  After going under the freeway you will see an Exxon station, Paradise Market, and the Spirits & Wine store on the left corner.  Go just past them to a small paved road on the left called Corral City Drive.  Turn left onto it and pull forward 100 yards to park in front of the little ?town hall? while you go over to the liquor store to check in.  We?re in a pull-through site.  While it might change with the seasons, this row of sites now has the sun go from the front of the motorhome, overhead, and then to the rear of the motorhome.  Just a small bit of sun hits the windows so the sites in this row are well placed.

Corral City RV Park:
GPS coordinates:  N 33 05.844? and W 097 13.644?
Address:  Paradise Market & Liquor Store, 1217 FM-407W, Argyle TX 76226
Liquor store telephone:  940-648-4503

Another way to find it is to put this address into your GPS and you will be guided into the RV Park, but do park in front of the Town Hall on the right and register in the Paradise Liquor Store.
14300 Corral City Drive
Corral City, TX  76226

If you need fuel there is a really nice Pilot/Flying J ten miles south on I35W at exit 65.  It?s address is 2400 Alliance Gateway Freeway, Fort Worth TX 76177 and their telephone is 817-337-5324.  The truck entrance is on the south or Alliance Gateway side while the gas pumps are on the east or I-35W side of the property.

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted you to have the complete story.

ArdraF

Attachments

• Donna & Ron 2012.jpg
    Donna & Ron 2012.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 134
Wonderful news. Thanks for the detail.  Dallas will indeed be an easier place to visit.  They both look well.

Betty

A big thanks for that message and the photo Ardra. It is indeed good news. Glad it all went well.

Ardra, thanks for the really good news.  We're so happy that Donna has resolved nearly all her problems and can now get on with her and Ron's life with less tension.  Perhaps the new and better environment will help to speed up Ron's recovery.  We'll make a point of stopping next time we go through Dallas.

Hi Ardra,

Thanks so much for the info!! Great news that Ron just might like it there. We normally don't go anywhere near Dallas but we'll have to change that. Hope we can arrange a visit while we are out west this coming winter.

Thanks for the wonderful news and photo, Ardra.  Please give our best to Ron and Sam.

Margi

Thanks for the update and the photo, Ardra. They look pretty good. Nice smile on Sam's face.  ;D

Best regards,
Jack and Liz

You know: I never met Ron or Sam.  It wasn't long after I joined The RV forum that Ron had his stroke, (I don't know if he ever knew that I had joined him as a fellow staffer) but I felt/feel like we bonded.  Ron answered my questions and dispensed advice.  He had even invited us to visit with him and Sam to witness the Elks rutting?. 

My point is that we never really got to become formal acquaintances, but I still fell like he is a friend.  I have followed AndraF's updates and wished Ron well.  I am so happy that things are working out the way they are for these fine folks.

Perhaps some of the newer forum members might wonder why so many of us refer to Donna Ruward as "Sam". 

If my memory serves, Ron dubbed her "Sam" either when they were first married or when they were dating.  She reminded him of Samantha on the old TV show "Betwitched".  All through their years of active participation on the RV Forum she was always "Sam" to most of us.

Margi

Thanks Margi. In all the years I've been on the forum, I didn't know that. In fact, it was a number of years before I even knew her real name was Donna  :-[

Thanks, Ardra, for the great news and for keeping us up to date. Glad things are looking better for Sam and Ron. And thanks Margi for the tidbit on how "Sam" came about. I think a Dallas rally would be wonderful, especially in the spring (and this from a girl who refuses to return to Texas :)  ).

Wendy

Margi - You recalled the story correctly and it was when they met or very soon thereafter.  Ron just didn't think the lady looked like a Donna but she sure looked like or reminded him of the TV Samantha.

Tom - She certainly didn't!  I never knew she had another name until one day when we were in a quilt store and she was giving them info to receive their mailings.  When I heard Donna, it was like, who on earth is that!?!  Then she told me the story.

If you're in the vicinity we went twice to a REALLY good Italian restaurant.  Yes, that's right - Italian which I normally avoid because of my garlic allergy.  These people make all their dishes from scratch.  The white veggie pizza and my chicken marsala tonight were oh so yummy!  The place is Vinny's Italian Restaurant (NOT Vinnie's on the other side of town!), 2003 Highway 114, Suite 350, Trophy Club, TX 76262.  Phone - 817-490-7924.  It's also reasonable.  The other night the bill for six of us, including some beer and wine, was only $68!  We told Vinny we would spread the word!

We said goodbye to all the Ruwards this evening.  I'm so glad we could be here almost when Ron arrived.  Along with the food, good staff, and family, I think our arrival so soon contributed to a positive first impression.

ArdraF

Ned said:
And Donna does not like the name Sam.

I'm sorry to hear that.  I always thought it was a very affectionate, special nickname.  Do you think she would want us to begin calling her Donna after these many year?  We could certainly do that if she wanted us to do so.

Margi

Glad to hear the trip went well and that Ron is settled in to his new home.  When You talk to Donna again pass on our good wishes for both of them.

Margi,

I'm sorry to hear she doesn't like "Sam" as well. For those of us that have known her for so long it will be nearly impossible not to call her Sam. I agree Donna does not seem to fit her.  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom