apps on smart phones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eliallen

Does any one have a problem with apps like Accuweather accessing your calendar events,send email to guest and reading calendar events. Services that cost you money... directly call phone numbers.  Read phone state and identity(what ever that is) Other apps wants the same permission.

I've never heard of that and never experienced that with my iPhone.  I don't use AccuWeather, but WeatherNetwork instead due to better coverage of Canada.

What type of phone do you have?  What OS and version?  Did you obtain AccuWeather from a trusted source?

Current version of Android. App came from their web site as a update. I noticed that the Discover App update wanted the same permission. Some of the reviews states the same thing.

Someone else with an Android will probably chime in.  No app has ever requested that on my iPhone.  The most they ask for is to use Push Notification and Location services.

I've got accuweatther, NOAA, Intelicast and Weather Channel apps all on my IPhone...no porblems.  I'm not partial to Accuweater's layout so I don' t use it much...use Intelicast most of the time

You'll find that when you install a lot of apps, they may report that they have access to a lot of things that are seemingly unnecessary. Android reports this to you to make sure you know what rights the downloaded application has.

Apps may have more rights than necessary for various reasons. Perhaps they were sloppy in their coding and included a library that they didn't really need. Or, perhaps they included a library for one particular feature...such as checking your phone state so that it can shut down if you receive a call. Or, facebook eading your contacts so that they can link your contacts with their facebook profile...or maybe even accuweather reading your calendar so that it can tell you the weather forecast during your scheduled events.

There is a possibility that it could be malicious, especially if you install something from somewhere outside the Android Market (now Play). However, with most major software tools, it's okay.

Back
Top Bottom