Startshield... how to clean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2KViggen

Getting ready to head on vacation & I wanted to get the RV nice and shiny before it gets covered in bugs/dirt on our way to Key West.  Our RV is a 08 purchased in 09 & we had the dealership do their 5 year wax protextion stuff on it, can't recall it's name which seems to be holding up quite well actually.  I was expecting to need to give the RV a good waxing but the sides/back seem to be in great condition.

On the front of the RV it's a different story.  The star shield protective film is covered in the dark dirt stains and I am not sure what to use to get it off.  Any suggestions on a cleaner to use that would clean the star shield w/o damaging it?  I am worried if I use something to abrasive or push to hard I will scratch the film

I'd try a good wax first. It's amazing what wax will clean off. I would not, however, use anything abrasive on it.

Quoting their website from faq;
Q. How is the Invisible Bra film Maintained?
A. Once applied, refrain from washing the vehicle for 24 hours. After 24 hours, wash with gentle car wash soap and water - no degreasers or detergents like all purpose cleaners or dish soaps. Do not use aerosol products or ammonia and never wash in direct sunlight or temperatures above 90 degrees. Never use a pressure washer. Wax with a non-abrasive wax or polish, Carnauba Wax or Teflon. Dry with chamois (synthetic) or dry towels.

Good luck

If it is bruised or discolored, lots of luck.  You may be able to polish it a bit with a plastic polish (such as is used on headlamp covers), but only use it on places already damaged. Chances are it will make any undamaged area slightly opaque.

On small spots you could try a pencil eraser, which is basically just a mild abrasive that is also absorbent.

Many people end up having their clear vinyl protectant removed after 5-7 years.  It just doesn't hold up much longer than that. Bugs, stones, etc. damage it just like they would have damaged the paint underneath. Removal is very labor intensive, even with special solvents intended for the purpose, so it isn't cheap.

Diamond had to replace the film on my 08 HR under warranty because of mold which formed under the Diamond Shield. Now I am getting the same on my 09 Bounder. Not to pleased with the plastic coatings. BTW, I followed alll directions on cleaning, waxing and proper care. I don't know if it is the humidity or what that causes the mold in the film.

thanks for the info everyone.... yea it's diamond shield that's on the RV, been spending to much time reading/dreaming about owning a Lotus Exige which uses star shield.....

The shield isn't in to bad of shape actually, RV is stored inside & it's just the dirt/grime that's so nasty.

I will give the listed ideas a try & see where that leads me.  Wife stated try Dawn soap but I worry that would do to much damage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom