items in storage units

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dar

For those of you that utilize a storage unit for items that you do not carry in your RV, do you have photographs in there? I am referring to storage that is NOT climate controlled. I read that if you have the photographs in photo albums or paper in between loose ones that they were survive the tempature changes but I am a little reluctant to believe it.

Thanks for your help.

I've used lots of storage units over the years, but only a few that were NOT climate controlled.  If the photos are valuable to you, I would also be suspicious of the temperature and humidity changes of a non-AC unit (but, I live in Texas where the heat and humidity are pretty bad).  I've had more than one person tell me horror stories of mold developing in furniture stored in non-climate units...but it never happened to me.

Interestingly, I learned that, at our local, large U-Haul storage location...that all the non-climate controlled units are actually INSIDE and on the first floor of the larger storage building.  So, the units are "semi-climate" controlled, simply by being inside of a building.  Also, I  had a garage type unit that had an outside door..and over the year I had my mom's stuff stored, an amazing amout of dust and dirt blew into the unit through little spaces in the garage door...and water seeped in the back of the unit that faced an open field.

Anyway...not a specific answer to your question, but a few thoughts.

Robt.

Mr_Toad said:
Also, I  had a garage type unit that had an outside door..and over the year I had my mom's stuff stored, an amazing amout of dust and dirt blew into the unit through little spaces in the garage door...and water seeped in the back of the unit that faced an open field.

All really good info Robt. The outside door unit is the one that we have this time and will be the first that's why I was a little relunctant about photo storage over the ones that are interior doors.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom