Preparing a Resume for Workcamping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loringsontheroad

A year or so ago, before we purchased our new travel trailer, I put my husband and myself on lists for camp hosting throughout the US. This is still something a bit in the future for us, but we are getting closer! I do get notifications from time to time and most of these positions request resumes. Having no experience with camp hosting and thinking this is not like we are looking to make a "career" change, PLUS they are hiring  as a "couple" - I wondered how to construct a resume of this type? My husband is a retired welder and I am an office manager and inside sales person. I would appreciate any suggestions about what these types of jobs are looking for in "employees" and suggestions on how to build our resume. Thanks very much!  :)

Think campground work. Most campground jobs are for a couple-two of you sharing cleaning chores (restrooms, room service, picking up around the campground, etc.) or a maintenance/office team (one works in the store/office answering phones, checking folks in or out, doing counter sales, stocking, etc. and the other does minor maintenance around the campground including landscaping). With your background it sounds like you'd make a good maintenance/office team. Some couples prefer the cleaning job because it allows then to work together. Campgrounds know you probably don't have a background fitting the job descriptions so describe your background to fit the job. A welder would make a great maintenance person and your office background fits for the office/store position. List your vital stuff-age, type of rig, what hours you'd prefer to work, etc. Keep your pre workamping experience brief, highlighting only the things that apply. Make sure you show how many years you performed at your chosen vocation and have references and contact info ready. Above all be honest. Our first job we flat told them we'd never done this before but were hard workers and willing to learn. It's not rocket science, you'll be fine. BTW-look up www.workamper.com and workers on wheels. Gate guarding in Texas is another way to make $$$.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your response! Thank you! It gives me a good starting point. One question - do you prepare the resume as "a couple" or individuals? Just wondered about that......
Thanks again!

Most campgrounds are looking for couples - I'd do the resume that way, emphasizing how your skills complement each other's.

If you are looking for a couple position, do the resume that way. And many (most?) campgrounds prefer couples anyway. They get two workers on one campsite that way.

The membership publication and web site Workamper News might help. No doubt you're aware of the governmental sites, like volunteer.gov/gov, and the various states. Some of them have help in preparing a resume.

loringsontheroad said:
A year or so ago, before we purchased our new travel trailer, I put my husband and myself on lists for camp hosting throughout the US. This is still something a bit in the future for us, but we are getting closer! I do get notifications from time to time and most of these positions request resumes. Having no experience with camp hosting and thinking this is not like we are looking to make a "career" change, PLUS they are hiring  as a "couple" - I wondered how to construct a resume of this type? My husband is a retired welder and I am an office manager and inside sales person. I would appreciate any suggestions about what these types of jobs are looking for in "employees" and suggestions on how to build our resume. Thanks very much!  :)

As a former HRM, I have viewed thousands of resumes, and conducted thousands of interviews.  Keep in mind the high number of applications some locations receive; especially if it is a popular location.

I tend to lean toward keeping it simple, brief to the point.  Some locations want pictures of applicants and the RV.  I would set them up as separate attachments if they are required.  I do everything by email and attach the documents to an email when applying with a very brief paragraph outlining my interest in the specific position. 

Also, keep in mind, you are not applying for Career Positions.  If I were applying for a Career Position, I would approach the process more formally, but still use the basic information.  The Person advertising for the position is probably busy.  You may not receive a response.  I sent out 21 resumes when I first started the RV Volunteer process, I was receiving requests to fill positions over the next 3-6 months. 

A couple years ago, we got involved in RV Volunteering with the NPS and other agencies. 

As such I developed a simple resume and cover letter when applying for volunteer positions.

The Sample Resume and Cover letter can be accessed through the link on the blog under my signature.

The Cover Letter and Resume can be modified to fit individual needs for jobs or volunteer positions.

These documents have been made available to an RV Volunteer Group I manage on the NPS VIP Network.  RV Volunteers from this group have successfully used the sample document.

I have no commercial interest or financial interest in any thing I do.  NO ads, etc......anyway if they will help, just go to the blog, click on the Sample Cover Letter or Sample Resume at the top of the page, and it will provide a sample document of what I use.
If you have any questions about the documents, you can send me a message, or there is a special rvvolunteer email address you can use.

Hope it helps.  If you have any questions, please let me know.

p.s. my recommendation is that you prepare 2 separate resumes which can be addressed in the brief Cover Letter when submitted together.

Wow1 thank you so much for this in-depth response! I will definitely check out your format and use it as a  guide. You gave me exactly the info I was looking for - as I also agree - this is not a "career" move in the field I normally would work in - so I didn't think I needed to approach it that way on this type of resume. Thank you very much again!

loringsontheroad said:
Wow1 thank you so much for this in-depth response! I will definitely check out your format and use it as a  guide. You gave me exactly the info I was looking for - as I also agree - this is not a "career" move in the field I normally would work in - so I didn't think I needed to approach it that way on this type of resume. Thank you very much again!

You're Welcome.

Come back and let us know how things go.  It's always interesting to see how folks make out with their endeavors, interests, etc.

End results are always welcome.

Pierat said:
The membership publication and web site Workamper News might help. No doubt you're aware of the governmental sites, like volunteer.gov/gov, and the various states. Some of them have help in preparing a resume.

We've thought of doing this.  Didn't know about this site.  Thanks for the link. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom