EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com ARPC LLC Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Portable Air Conditioners to cool RV  (Read 2668 times)

garyb1st

• ---
Portable Air Conditioners to cool RV
« on: July 04, 2012, 11:08:31 AM »
Has anyone used a portable AC to cool an RV?  I'm only considering it because the furnace in my home just died.  I'm having the furnace replaced in a week or two, but if the weather warms up, I might buy a portable unit to keep the DW and cats happy.  I hate to spend $400 to $500 on a portable unit just for a week or two, but if a Honda 2000 geny would be adequate to power the unit, I'll buy it.  If I could figure out a way to vent it, I'd carry it in the trailer for those boon docking hot spells. 

Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Luca1369

• ---
    • Seaworthy.com, Your Bahamas and Caribbean Cruising Advisory
Re: Portable Air Conditioners to cool RV
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:32:57 AM »
I use a portable AC/heat unit in my RV.  It cools the rear bedroom at night only and it works perfectly for that.  My overhead in the main living area works fine which is good because I don't think my little portable would be enough for that larger space on really hot days (over 95F).  The hardest part of the installation was the venting, but my rear window openings were large enought that I could install the vent plate with some creative use of duct tape (this IS a temporary setup that can be moved when Im ready to go). 
Steve
1990 Fleetwood Southwind 36'
http://seaworthy.com

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go.
I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.
Robert Louis Stevenson

A good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.
Lao Tsu (570-490 BC)

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 11:39:39 AM »
Interesting thread on this topic here.
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

Great Horned Owl

• ---
  • Lake county, IL
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 12:14:45 PM »
You might look into Evaporative Coolers. They are much less expensive than regular air conditioners and they need only a fraction of the electrical power. The drawback is that you have to keep adding water, but for short term use, that might be ok. Northern Tool has them in several sizes.

Joel
Joel & Dorothy
Retired electronics engineer. Avid photographer, paddler & birder.
2011 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, 4x4,crew cab, 8' bed
Palomino Puma 253-FBS  27' 5th wheel
1994 19' Class B Horizon / Chevy

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
There are two kinds of portable A/C units.

Evaporative Coolers (Swamp coolers) Work by the evaporation of water, If you are in a dry climat (Say Quartsite, AZ they can do very well. The air there is so dry I have to use nasal spray to keep my nose working properly.  The Evap cooler I used to have would drop the temp here in the bedroom 10 degrees or more, plus it slightly relieved the dry air problem.

Alas, here in Michigan, where the humidity outisde is kind of high and it's 30% here in the bedroom.. They do not work so well.

The other type:
Standard Compressor type Air conditioners:

These need to be vented to the outside, else they just move the heat from one part of the room to another, adding some as they go.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 12:29:54 PM »
Interesting thread on this topic here.

Lou, thanks for the link.  Two individuals did exactly what I am thinking about.  My main concern was the adequacy of my Honda 2K geny.  If I'm reading the other posters comment correctly a 1K geny should be adequate on the smaller units.   

Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Hosted by Over The Network