EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com ARPC LLC Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Coach Net Performs With High Marks  (Read 5078 times)

Just Lou

• ---
Coach Net Performs With High Marks
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:07:37 PM »
I had to utilize my Coach Net Road Side Assistance coverage this weekend, and they performed admirably.

I drove 251 miles from the OBX to Raleigh on Saturday without a problem.  Unfortunately, the total trip needed to cover 254 miles.  The temperature was a mere 107 degrees and my old Bounder suffered from vapor-lock like symptoms and finally died at a major intersection three miles from home.

I called Coach Net and a tow was arranged (and arrived) within two hours.  Since it was after normal working hours, and on a weekend, Coach Net had the MH towed to my house and dropped off for the weekend.  This morning (Monday) at about 9am, Coach net called and asked my preference of service centers.  I specified that any of the local Ford Dealers was acceptable if they could schedule it within the next two weeks, as I had further travel plans for later this month.

Coach Net called again at 10am with the information that the ford dealers were not interested in working on motor homes (not a direct quote).  They then had taken the initiative to make an appointment with a local truck repair center and re-scheduled the tow truck.  By 12:30pm, the MH had been towed.

It is sooo pleasant to have a service company perform as promised.

I'm not sure what the diagnosis will reveal, but the repair folks outlined, what sounded like a good plan, and agreed to check a couple of other unrelated items for me.  I'm sure a lighter wallet will be part of the end result.

All-in-all, certainly a more pleasant experience than a 'sharp stick in the eye'.
'97 Bounder 34V (F53 w/tag), '99 Honda Accord EX

Gizmo

• ---
Re: Coach Net Performs With High Marks
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 02:20:06 PM »
I am glad to read this, for you and for myself as I just last night paid for a new membership.  I have read good reviews before, so was comfortable in signing up.  Your report was icing on the cake.  Best of luck with the required repairs and getting on the road again.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 04:00:46 PM »
I've been very pleased with the service from Coach-Net too, on several occasions over the years. Your symptoms sound very much like the F53 fuel pump failure that was pretty common until they redesigned the pump. Mine failed in Arizona a couple of months ago, but I was able to get back under way with minimal delay and expense by installing an inline pump in the fuel line on the tank side of the fuel filter. It's still going strong 4000 miles later.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Foto-n-T

• ---
    • Foto-n-T.com
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »
You can't beat Coach Net, period.

I drive tankers for a living and a few years ago I had a problem getting a truck started out in the boonies.  Our dispatch was of little help with the area that I was in so I called Coach Net.  I gave them my number and explained that I understood that since I was in a commercial vehicle I wasn't covered but....could the give me the number of a shop that could come out and jump my truck?  No problem.

That's what I call customer service.
Joe

2008 Victory Lane
1998 Freightliner FL50
Cody, WY when it's not covered in ice.

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 08:33:46 AM »
Quote from: NY_Dutch
Your symptoms sound very much like the F53 fuel pump failure that was pretty common until they redesigned the pump. Mine failed in Arizona a couple of months ago, but I was able to get back under way with minimal delay and expense by installing an inline pump in the fuel line on the tank side of the fuel filter. It's still going strong 4000 miles later.

You may be right on, Dutch, but it did start and run fine after cooling off overnight.  I think I'll opt for a new in-tank pump if they say this one is bad.  My next trip takes me much further from home and I'll feel more confident with a new OEM pump.

The shop is looking into a shift selector problem that has me more concerned (about cost and time to repair) than the fuel problem.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »
Apologies for being late to this one, but wanted to confirm Dutch's comment about pump failure; We used to get a lot of reports about them in the forum. But, as you say, strange that it would "go away" after cooling down; That sounds more like vapor lock mentioned in your first message. I have vague memories of folks reporting that they added a second pump outside the tank to solve vapor lock issues.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:12:43 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 10:50:00 AM »
Apologies for being late to this one, but wanted to confirm Dutch's comment about pump failure; We used to get a lot of reports about them in the forum. But, as you say, strange that it would "go away" after cooling down; That sounds more like vapor lock mentioned in your first message. I have vague memories of folks reporting that they added a second pump outside the tank to solve vapor lock issues.

Thanks,Tom.  I'll see what they suggest and if they also think it's a form of vapor lock rather than a weak pump.  I'll suggest an in-line pump addition if I can convince myself that the result would be more assurance.

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 11:32:43 AM »
But, as you say, strange that it would "go away" after cooling down; That sounds more like vapor lock mentioned in your first message. I have vague memories of folks reporting that they added a second pump outside the tank to solve vapor lock issues.

That the pump works after cooling down was also quite common and is consistent with the on coming total failure of the pump.  The explanation I saw some where was that the pump cavitates and warms the fuel in the immediate area.  This acts like a vapor lock, it is, and when the fuel cools the pump will then operate for a "while". 
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 11:51:03 AM »
Jim, you have a better memory than me! I can't recall what I had for breakfast  :(
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
The explanation I saw some where was that the pump cavitates and warms the fuel in the immediate area.  This acts like a vapor lock, it is, and when the fuel cools the pump will then operate for a "while". 

Yep, that's exactly what happened to my Ford motorhome last year, on my way to the Escapade in Gillette, WY.  The engine quit from fuel starvation during the late afternoon heat on the Continental Divide, then once things cooled down it ran fine overnight until the last hill just outside Gillette, when it vapor locked again.

At that point I called CoachNet and they towed me to a repair shop in Gillette and they replaced the pump.  The static pressure test showed it was only putting out 25 PSI instead of the normal 45 (I think those were the numbers).  Both problems (vapor lock and low pressure) were caused by worn wiper seals in the pump itself.  The motorhome has performed fine since the pump replacement.

If you can limp to a gas station and add cool fuel to the tank, this will also condense the bubble vapor locking the pump and let you get on your way.  I did this once before I realized the problem was caused by the fuel pump.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:05:23 PM by Lou Schneider »

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 12:59:38 PM »
That the pump works after cooling down was also quite common and is consistent with the on coming total failure of the pump.  The explanation I saw some where was that the pump cavitates and warms the fuel in the immediate area.  This acts like a vapor lock, it is, and when the fuel cools the pump will then operate for a "while".

Jim - thanks for that info.  I'm now more inclined to go with my first thought --- replace the in-tank pump.

Tom - I can't remember having breakfast :-\

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 01:03:18 PM »
Yep, that's exactly what happened to my Ford motorhome last year, on my way to the Escapade in Gillette, WY.  The engine quit from fuel starvation during the late afternoon heat on the Continental Divide, then once things cooled down it ran fine overnight until the last hill just outside Gillette, when it vapor locked again.

At that point I called CoachNet and they towed me to a repair shop in Gillette and they replaced the pump.  It's been fine ever since.

If you can limp to a gas station and add cool fuel to the tank, this will also condense the bubble vapor locking the pump and let you get on your way.  I did this once before I realized the problem was caused by the fuel pump.

Lou, thanks for jumping in.  I had read posts of many pumps being replaced, but they were generally concerned with the replacement process rather than describing the symptoms in detail. 

I'm convinced that the pump should get replaced NOW.

Thanks, everyone.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 01:16:40 PM »
Take it to a shop that's replaced pumps on F350 and F450 work trucks.  There's just enough clearance to get the pump out by jacking up the rear of the vehicle and lowering the tank onto a shop jack.

If they're good they can do this without having to drain the tank.

Jim Godward

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 05:23:57 PM »
Jim, you have a better memory than me! I can't recall what I had for breakfast  :(

Breakfast, I don't remember any.  I had to tell the anesthesiologist what I had to eat the night before my last surgery, Pat had been left behind and we were in the operating room.  I had no idea and they had to call Pat to find out.

Important things I mostly remember like this one but what I had to eat, It would have to be very special for me to remember!  There are a few though!    :)
Jim
Jim & Pat Godward
AC7PO & KD7ZDM
Hillsboro, Oregon

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 07:47:46 PM »
Lou,

I am glad Coach Net came through for you. I just joined Coach Net a few minutes ago because of a bad experience several weeks ago. Had a tire separate on I-12 in LA. It was raining and getting dark and I was only able to barely get off the pavement. I had semis passing by within inches. After 2 hours dealing with the other roadside assistance program, I was told they could not get a tire until Monday (this was Saturday). Finally called a friend in Mississippi (Johnson Tire Service in Biloxi) who sent his service truck with a used tire and got me on my way. The other roadside service was NO help.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Just Lou

• ---
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 08:08:24 PM »
Lou,

I am glad Coach Net came through for you. I just joined Coach Net a few minutes ago because of a bad experience several weeks ago. Had a tire separate on I-12 in LA. It was raining and getting dark and I was only able to barely get off the pavement. I had semis passing by within inches. After 2 hours dealing with the other roadside assistance program, I was told they could not get a tire until Monday (this was Saturday). Finally called a friend in Mississippi (Johnson Tire Service in Biloxi) who sent his service truck with a used tire and got me on my way. The other roadside service was NO help.

I can only guess who "the other" service is.  I think I probably had them for years and, thankfully, never had to use them.  I used to alternate between the two, so that I could take advantage of the  'new customer' initial discounted rate, but never again.  I'm a believer.

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 08:48:17 PM »
Lou,  I am sure you are right and when they expire I will not renew.  Fortunately, I  had a friend that came to the rescue because I was terrified where I was at.When the LA State Police came, he set up behind me and waited till Johnson's tire service showed up and changed the tire.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 08:54:08 PM »
I am a big fan of Coach Net. I had to use them twice with my previous MH had an issue. They were quick, spot on, and called me back each time to insure that the tow operator had shown up and was satisfactory. The best hundred bucks I spend every year........
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 09:02:10 PM »
Sarge,
I now have 2 roadside services and from the accolades coach net gets, they will become the primary. You can bet I will not renew the other.
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 09:20:17 PM »
You betcha. Each time I got a look at the invoice for the tow, which I didn't pay. Each was over $1000.  I paid with a handshake to the tow driver. 
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 09:45:53 PM »
Do you want to know how classy CoachNet is? Last year I had three tow jobs (one was 85 miles) and they brought me gas in one month. I thought they were going to refuse my renewal. When I did renew they actually called me to thank me for renewing. Now that is class. Not any sales pitch, just a genuine thank you.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
2016 photos:
https://goo.gl/photos/aXQPbnVpgzNvs4Jq8
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

Foto-n-T

• ---
    • Foto-n-T.com
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2012, 09:23:32 AM »
We had a particularly bad winter up here a couple of years ago before we migrated south.  At the time, the only vehicles I owned were diesel.  My Frieghtliner wasn't an issue 'cause it wasn't going to start at all in -20 degree weather.  But my Ford for some reason was being sadistic and would start and run only to quit a couple of miles from the house.  Coach Net towed me three times in two days before I just gave up and drove my Rhino, BRRRR!!
Joe

2008 Victory Lane
1998 Freightliner FL50
Cody, WY when it's not covered in ice.

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 10:15:04 AM »
Sarge,
I now have 2 roadside services and from the accolades coach net gets, they will become the primary. You can bet I will not renew the other.

Why not just cancel the second policy and get a refund of the unused premium?
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

gwcowgill

• ---
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2012, 05:22:18 PM »
Bernie,

Thanks, I did just that this morning,
2014 Honda CRV Toad,

geodrake

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 07:50:39 AM »
Tom - I can't remember having breakfast :-\
Breakfast?
George Drake

Jeff Brown

• ---
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 08:19:47 AM »
While not Coach Net per se, we had a blow out on 395 just north of Orlancha (Actually at the water factory for those familiar) and we called Progressive, they dispatched a tow truck with a used tire to get me the rest of the way through my trip.  I asked him what companys he did roadside work for and he said Progressive and Coach-Net were the only ones he worked with for RVs or large vehiclals in general. The suspected "Other" that charges lots extra to add an RV to your policy according to him wouldn't pay enough to make their calls worth doing. 

Jeff
Jeff - Driver
Wife - In complete control!
Bear - strapped to his seat! (9 year old son)
Duncan and Bailey (the dogs) - constantly looking for a different window
2002 Bounder 36S "King Charles the Great Bounder" or "Big Chuck"

Hosted by Over The Network