Developer buys Coberg Monaco complex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We learn all about this when we arrived for service. It was also mentioned by Bill Osborne, President of Monaco in a recent interview.

We also learned that Monaco has taken a 10 year lease on the Service center building where we are. The admin building already has been leased as a call center for the State Police.

Monaco is still finishing up the last few coaches and is auctioning off the equipment so the actual sale to Mr Lee will take place sometime in the future.

As I said in a previous post this sale means that Monaco Coach production will never return to Oregon. They did move the Trailer production that was here to Harrisburg, OR. Trailers will be made in Oregon and in Elkhart. The Elkhart trailer production will be in the Roadmaster Chassis plant that Navistar bought back out of the "Custom Chassis" business bankruptcy (this was a joint venture between Navistar and Monaco). Originally when they purchased this building back it was with the intention that Workhorse would share the facility with Roadmaster, but now that Workhorse has ceased production of RV chassis the building will apparently be shared between Roadmaster and Trailer production.

The Wakarusa plant will build all gas and diesel motorhomes along with the electric utility vehicle that was started there last year.

The Oregon Service building will also house a few admin departments that are not moving to Wakarusa, IN or Lisle, IL. It will also house the Technical service center (open for any Monaco owner to call for help - free) and national parts.

Our Service Writer is off today. Wednesday was her husbands last day at Monaco after 23 years. He has found a good job, but it is in Portland. I feel really bad for the Monaco employees here in Oregon. They have been on a real roller coaster for the last few years. I am really impressed that those still here are very positive about Monaco and are working very hard to make Monaco a success. It has been a pleasure being here and working with these folks.

I think Bill Osborne has some really good ideas about making Monaco and the RV business better, but I am still very concerned about the commitment of Navistar to see this through. I look at how Workhorse handled the Brake issue recall and can only hope that Bill Osborne has enough clout within Navistar to see that kind of thing doesn't happen at Monaco. I should note that Osborne also now heads Workhorse. He knew last summer when he took over Monaco and Workhorse that he had to find a gas engine to replace the Chevy 8.1 or that Workhorse chassis business couldn't succeed. Obviously he failed to find that engine. I though maybe he could get Navistar to build a new gas engine, but apparently there just wasn't a big enough market to justify the expense.

The local business community is encouraged by the fact that a local, proven, well respected developer has purchased the property.  Hopefully, his company will be successful in providing space for new businesses to begin replacing some of the lost jobs. 

Margi

Thanks Ken. Beaver employees who originally came from Bend must feel like a bouncy ball.

They did move the Trailer production that was here to Harrisburg, OR.

Was that move to the old service center, previously the Safari manufacturing plant, or to their other Harrisburg facility further west on Diamond Hill Drive?

All very interesting!  Thanks for the article's link, Margi.  It is good a local person is buying it and I sure do hope he can pull it off successfully.  Like Ken, we know so many of the Monaco people and they're good people so you hate to see so many of them hurt so badly.

ArdraF

Tom and others,

Monaco still has a small service facility in Coburg next to the exec offices.

The other two were at the much larger Diamond Hill facility in Harrisburg (this was the original Safari assembly plant) and also at the Safari Magnum Chassis Plant in downtown Harrisburg.

The Magnum Chassis plant was the FIRST building/facility to be sold and it's gone.  I was there and confirmed it to myself.  For a while Monaco did overflow service there.  Some folks may remember that this facility had a circular campground behind the building which held about 15 coaches during there service..

JerryF

Jerry,

You're correct. For the past two years the Service center has been back at the southern end of the Coburg Monaco complex. The service building has 17 bay doors, but I think they only use 10 or less. One of them is a large paint booth. Some of the space is probably used for parts since they moved parts from Harrisburg back to here. I bought some parts today and they had them ready in 10 minutes! 12 years ago parts was in this building with service.

Trailers are being made in Harrisburg, but I haven't driven up there to see if that is at the old Diamond Hill Rd facility. We may get up there this weekend.

We will be here at least until next Wednesday waiting for a part that had to be made in Elkhart. Also on Monday they will do the final touch up painting on the radiator cover (we had some peeling paint). While they were painting the radiator cover they saw that the paint on the rear had too much yellow and didn't match. This painting was done last year at Oregon Motor Coach (Bob Lee's place). I was going to take the coach over to OMC and have them look at the crappy paint job they did but Monaco's paint guy decided he would just repaint it to make it look good! Looks great, but now I can't show it to OMC!

These guys and gals are really working hard to make customer happy.

ken

Ken,

That is great.  It sounds like they have kept the service techs that really care.  Please...if you get a chance give Ardra and my best wishes to both Brian Weatherly and Jason Gurke. 

When Bubba ran service I always remember that he once told me he wouldn't know what to do if he lost Brian for chassis or Jason for electronics.

BTW, who is the manager of service now?

JerryF

Jerry,

Zak is the manager, but Brian and Jason are still here.

Last I heard Bubba was back here working as service manager for a car dealer.

ken

We drove by the Diamond Hill Monaco RV facility. I the back where the service campground was in the past was filled with new trailers so it certainly appears that this is the location for trailer production in Oregon. As far as I know this and the Marathon plant are the last of the once mighty Oregon RV production. I am glad they kept service in Coburg. It is so convenient to all that is available in Eugene.

We are back at Monaco's Oregon service facility. The rest of the complex no has Monaco Signs, they have been changed to Coburg North Industrial Park (actually Monaco is now a tenant of Coburg North.

Minor construction work, but otherwise vacant. Very sad.

ken

Ken

How long are you going to be at Coburg, and where to afterwards. We are still in Portland until Friday then start heading south along I-5, taking a couple of weeks to get to San Francisco. Tom, keep an eye out, we are hoping to stop in Lodi (Flag City RV?) to see you.

Bernie

It appears we will be out of here Thursday morning and we are planning on heading to Bend for a few days, then towards Idaho and Montana.

Sheila

Sorry we'll miss you this trip. Hopefully we'll be able to get together later in the year in AZ.

Bernie,

We'll see you in the fall back in AZ. Monaco got us in and out quickly so we are now in Sisters. Fortunately the techs at Monaco figured out how to fix the problem without having to remove the slideout.

ken

Hi Folks,
I have been trying to follow all the various threads re Monaco and their service facility in Coburg. I am supposed to be booked in for a service and warranty work come April 2013 on my 35 Vesta. Will I still be going come April?
Like I mentioned trying to follow the threads and news releases etc.
I did send a email a couple of weeks ago to Janet their service administrator -----still no reply.
Any clarified info. regards the status of the Oregon operations would be appreciated.
Cheers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom