kwikee electric steps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jupiter2

My step is having a problem. Keeps clicking and not shutting off when going into place. It does it going in and out. Had to unplug the motor so it would not burn up. It runs continually.Took linkage off of step and it turns on way and then just keeps clicking. Is there a way to check the magnets in the door? I also took the gears out to look for broken teeth and there were none. Whats the chances its the control box gone bad?
Cant contact kwikee either. Can any one help?

The control box senses current rise when the motor hits an obstruction or the mechanical stops and shuts the motor off. Sounds like the box might have a problem.

Here is some stuff about the steps I have accumulated over the years. Maybe it will be useful.

Trouble shooting chart  HERE

There is a trouble shooting guide HERE

If you need sources for motors or parts check the following:

Motor

PARTS 1

PARTS 2

PARTS 3

REBUILDING SERVICE

Since Kwikee was bought by Actuant and merged into Power Gear they won't take phone calls as you discovered. Neither will Power Gear but some people have posted that they will reply to email questions.

Clay thank you for your reply. There is however no obstruction. It will go in and out just fine. But does not shut off in either direction. That is what make no sense. 

I experienced step problems on my old Coachmen Freelander. I was told to silicone lubricate everything under the steps. They worked fine after that. Seems that a lot of dirt accumulates over short periods of time. You may want to give that a shot. 

You can do your 4 way connector test to eliminate any other possibilities but make sure your battery voltage is up before you do anything else.
What Clay is saying is the the step extends and retracts until it reaches it's normal travel, then the current rises and the control unit senses this rise and shuts off the step operation.
Because yours is not shutting off in either direction it kind of points to the control unit being defective.
When you do testing from underneath remember not to position yourself (or your fingers) under the step or linkage in case it extends before you can move. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom