Troubleshoot Hydro flame furnace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grammy331

We just purchased a used trailer, it has a Hydro Flame heater, 82 series. It hasn't been used for a year, but the owner told us to turn up the thermostat and it would automatically blow out the fumes and light. Well, the blower works very well, but no 'light' is happening (ie, no heat). Never had a self igniting one before and not sure where to look for the problem. Any ideas? (Gas is on, turned on stove burners to get air out of lines, etc.)

Thanking you in advance :)

Start by checking the exhaust output and the fresh air input and plenums for blockage by mud wasp etc nests. It sounds like the sail switch may not be functioning due to lack of air flow. This would prevent the gas valve from operating.

Did you hear a low volume clicking sound (3 times) of the igniter as the burner tried to light? Smell any gas in the exhaust outside after trying to light??  If it does light, the sound changes to quite a cloud roar

If not you may have to open it up and have a look. (Don't know how easy or hard that may be with your particular trailer or a Hydroflame furnace)

TY Alfa. No blockage, no exhaust/propane smell. Just lots of air. Have to get the adapter for electric so can plug it in and make sure there's plenty of juice, but it sounds like it has plenty of power and air flow is very good. We know about the loud roar, and it's just not doing that. Next step is being plugged into electric, but don't see how that will make any difference :(

There is a Furnace Troubleshooting document in the forum Library, complete with photos. I wrote it a couple years ago to address questions such as yours.

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=333:furnace-troubleshooting&catid=16:rv-how-tos&Itemid=45

TY. We'll look through that. Also, how important is it that the trailer be completely level? We know you need that for the fridge, but we don't have it on, and we're parked on the street with a slight slope to the side. We just leveled it out and will see if that makes any difference.

You've been so kind. Thank you!

Couple of ideas.....

Mine would do this occasionally, wound up being the motor. bushings were bad not letting the motor spin fast enough, not making the sail switch. Easy to diagnose once the squealing started.

Also, if you are not plugged into 120vac, the battery might just be low enough to not let the blower spin fast enough to satisfy the sail switch. Can confirm this by plugging in the unit.

And one other thing is that if the furnace is the first thing you try to light right after you turn on the propane tank, it will take awhile to get the air out of the line and the gas to get to the burner valve. I will turn on the tank, then light the stove top burners and let them burn for a few minutes until all the air is out of the lines, then start the furnace and/or water heater.

Hope this helps a little.

I have a 8500 series Atwood Furnace. in my 2008 Monaco Lapalma.  Its blowing out a lightbluish exhaust when furnace running. I bought the rv this summer and just started the furnace for the first time. It runs good just have bluish exhaust.

That suggests a rich fuel mixture, either excessive propane (unlikely) and short of air intake. A bad gasket between the exhaust and intake can let exhaust gas get sucked back into the inlet, and that results in insufficient oxygen in the combustion air. An insect next or rust chips in the inlet can have the same effect.

Gary RV Roamer said:
There is a Furnace Troubleshooting document in the forum Library, complete with photos. I wrote it a couple years ago to address questions such as yours.

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=333:furnace-troubleshooting&catid=16:rv-how-tos&Itemid=45

Very nice Gary, super write-up!

Back
Top Bottom