Are photographs in frames heat tolerant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dombodals

My new rig came with 3 framed pictures on the walls.  I'd like to take replace the pics with some photographs of my own.  I'm wondering if the everyday heat in the rig will ruin the pictures.

I just stepped out of my rig an hour ago and it was really hot and I was sweating quite heavily while inside. I don't know how sensitive picture frames and photos would be in the heat but I do know that direct sunlight will destroy photos very quickly, especially in the summer. I do live in the desert so the temps do get very extreme here in the summers.

Josh

Sometimes the photos stick to the glass of the frame - depends on the technology used to make the print. Printing with an inkjet printer is not the same as a professional photo lab print or even a dye sublimation home photo printer.  Humidity may be more important factor than heat.

Direct sunlight fades prints.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Humidity may be more important factor than heat.

Humidity, what's that? ;D As soon as I can sell my house to at least break even I plan to move back to the southeast.

have the photos reproduced, store the originals "somewhere else" - then you don't have to worry.  if possible, frame them in mattes so the pictures don't actually touch the glass.

jrabbit said:
have the photos reproduced, store the originals "somewhere else" - then you don't have to worry.  if possible, frame them in mattes so the pictures don't actually touch the glass.

Even better, get a high resolution scan of the photos done (or do it yourself if the photo is small enough and you have a good scanner; scanning works better fromn a negative if you have it). Then you can just reprint the photo (yourself or at a photo shop) whenever you need to. Just make sure you keep multiple back ups, one of which should be off site.

jrabbit said:

This is what I was going to recommend especially if these are family heirlooms or of significan value.

We have a treasured color photo of us with Jerry's family that was taken 50 years ago.  We noticed it was beginning to fade from the bright sunlight coming in through the windows.  We scanned it, Jerry refreshed it in Photoshop so the colors were closer to the original, we printed out a new copy, and now we can replace it at any time with another copy.  I'm digitizing many family photos that can never be replaced.  Better to do it while the colors are fresh and bright than after they're faded.

ArdraF

Using a matte to provide some distance between the glass and image will help but also the type of glass is important. Standard frame glass in cheap frames is just simple glass.  If the image is important consider using Museum Glass or UV Denglas or, preferably, something with a UV protectant that is a lot cheaper. You can now also get quite good UV acrylic to further reduce the cost.

Heat is unlikely to play a factor, unless you set fire to your RV! Humidity may be a factor if it is paticularly bad and direct sunlight will almost certainly fade the image. UV is the worst. Some posters in store windows can be washed out in a year or less.

The type of ink used will also dictate the lifespan of the image.

If the image is particularly important then get the image scanned by a professional photographer, retouched and saved at a high resolution. Then store it using archival products (they don't have the acids and other nasties of standard boxes, envelopes, folders etc) and use the re-print in your RV.  If it is less important then a home scanner does a reasonable job (make sure it is set to 300dpi or higher)

Hope that helps.

Better to use UV Denglas to frame the photos or something with a UV protection and get a high resolution scan of the photos along with the glass.

Back
Top Bottom