Need suggestions on making a old spare tire cover into a wall hanging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dombodals

I had the fiberglass dish spare tire cover custom painted when I got my old rig.  Just sold that rig and kept the dish.  Since the new rig doesn't have that kind of spare tire carrier I'm wondering how I can make the dish a wall hanging.  Its round and curves in slightly at the edges.  Anyone else ever do this?

I would cut out the center flat part that was painted and put it in an oval frame or use a large square one and center it in deco paper like they do collages. You could also have a frame custom made depending on how much you want to spend. To cut make sure to tape both sides and use a fine hack saw by hand or a small cut off wheel while using a mask to protect your breathing. Going slow is the best way to make a cut without it being all jagged. Hope this helps.

Is there a reason you can't just hang it 'as is'?  Drill holes in the sides, draw a wire through, and hang it.

What kind of drill bit to use on fiberglass?  I don't want it to crack.
Thanks.
Donna

What kind of drill bit to use on fiberglass?  I don't want it to crack.
Tape both sides before you drill or use a drill bit by hand. It's pretty easy to run a small one through by hand or very slow with a drill.

Actually I think I've figured it out without putting holes in it - Put the hooks upside down on the back of the cover - using those command hooks.  Then string the wire part on the wall.  Hang the cover on the wire.  Basically doing it backwards.  I think it should work fine - just have to find the right spot for it!

dombodals said:
Actually I think I've figured it out without putting holes in it - Put the hooks upside down on the back of the cover - using those command hooks.  Then string the wire part on the wall.  Hang the cover on the wire.  Basically doing it backwards.  I think it should work fine - just have to find the right spot for it!

Now that's just clever! No holes showing, either.

If you clean and scuff the backside yhere are several two part epoxies you could use to anchor hooks or eyes to the back.  The type that come in a syringe work fine for this purpose. Cleanliness is the biggest thing.

Back
Top Bottom