EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Working our way home from Moab  (Read 8801 times)

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
Working our way home from Moab
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:14:06 PM »
   OK, so we left Moab, and went to Salt Lake along with several other Moab attendees, and Linda & Dean who were intending to meander on to Alaska.  We had a few mini rallies, and thanks to Kodiac, we even made one official.  Well, on our third supper together, Donna finally remembered to bring along the camera, and you will see we caught it in a picture.
   We left SLC for Yellowstone, and met Pancake Bill and Jolene, no food but enjoyable few minutes with framily who Donna and I had never met, even though we winter in the Tampa Bay area, where they spent many years.
   As with all of the previously visited National Parks, Yellowstone was delightful, we not only got to see the geysers and hot springs, we also saw and took pics lots of bison, grizzly bears, Elk and moose (yes Marsha, we have pictures of moose The Grand Tetons).  We even got caught up in a stampede of bison.
   Then as we arose to pack up, there was all this white stuff on the coach and car, picture attached.  I know we were in the mountains, but the couple of days before it was in the 80's, and this is supposed to be in the warmer US.  Seemed like the little bird and his friends were having a ball in the fir tree next to the coach, but we hadn't seen that breed and will have to look up what type he was.
   Donna and I are really of the opinion that much like the Sasquatch (Bigfoot), there rumours of bighorns are much exaggerated.  We kept looking all the way up, but all we saw were signs telling us not to disturb them, well that would have been hard as they were never there to be found.
   So far since crossing the border, we done the dinosaur museum in Drumheller, which was another mind blowing experience, there are several new exhibits from the Badlands that are all around southern Alberta.  We're now hunkered down in Calgary, and we had our first rainy day since leaving Florida.  However, it appears there will be a few more to come before the sun comes out.  We head for Banff and Jasper National Parks next week.

Ed

PS: Can't post all the pics with the Park wifi, will do it in 2 posts
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
Re: Working our way home from Moab
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 10:16:45 PM »
more pics
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 10:40:54 PM »
Western Tanager
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 10:42:21 PM »
Love the pics. Especially that little bitty skiff of snow.

Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 11:19:21 PM »
Good pics!  Glad someone made it an official minirally.  The Western Tanager (I'll take Wendy's word for it) sure is a pretty little thing.  We've encountered buffalo on the road but not a whole herd like that!  Glad none took a dislike to you because I bet they could toss your car around pretty good!  I can see the headlines now "Buffalo 3, Humans 0".  ::)

ArdraF
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:21:30 PM by ArdraF »
ArdraF
:D :D

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:16:57 AM »
      Oops, since we didn't take pics, it wasn't official, but we did drop by to visit Chip and Bunky (Falconhunter) for a "pop".  They were in Island Park, ID as well, about 5 miles from where we were set up.
      Wendy, any of the white stuff, is TOO MUCH.
      FWIW, when crossing the border, they did ask if we had any meat on board, when I said yes, all she asked was if was for consumption in the fridge/freezer.  I said yes, and she said have a good day.  She asked about weapons, liquor, tobacco and the amount of money we were carrying.(over $10,000).

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 04:43:31 PM »
You had over $10,000 ?? or she asked if you had over $10,000?
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:38:11 PM »
    US border ask every time we cross, but this is the first time we were ever asked by Canadian border guards.  You've seen us and our coach, we would carry 10,000 pennies, let alone dollars.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »
     We're set up in Edmonton, AB having come up the river canyons through Banff and Jasper National Parks.  While the Grand Tetons were nice, these mountains on both sides of the road, hundreds of glaciers all around, spectacular lakes, rivers and water falls, and wild animals everywhere, I'd say these National Parks were spectacular.  Yes folks, we even saw BIGHORNS, all it took was crossing back into Canada, we even saw a jet black wolf along the roadside, white grizzlies, black bears, moose, deer, elk and caribou.  All we missed were mountain goats  :( 
    We're spending a couple of days here in Edmonton, then we start a quicker run to Ottawa to see grandkids.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 11:02:58 AM »
    Here is a pic of Lake Louise, and one of Maligne Canyon, about half way down.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 11:06:48 AM »
Beautiful. The Canadian Rockies is on my bucket list.

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 11:11:01 AM »
The first time we saw the Canadian Rockies we described them this way:  picture every single beautiful mountain you've ever seen or read about, then line them all up in a row and enjoy!

Margi

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 06:09:35 PM »
    Wendy, what amazed me was that even though we drove up from Banff, through Jasper, it really is a series of river canyons, with only one long climb, which is north of Lake Louise, just prior to reaching the Columbian Ice Fields. It wasn't marked, but I'd say it never exceeded a 6% grade, and only was about 4 or 5 miles long.  We took it at 20,000 RPM in 3rd gear, it was a breeze.  I'd say there were a couple of hills that were worse, if we were heading south from Jasper to the Ice Fields.
   We have several hundred pictures of mountains, as there was just another as/more beautiful than the last every time you looked up.  When we get to the kids and I have decent wifi, I may try to post some.
   Tom Seiler, we took pictures of Harlequin ducks while we were in the Yellowstone, and a Clark Nutcracker on the rocks along Lake Louise, but didn't get any at Maligne Lake, although there were lots of signs telling people to stay away from their nesting sites.  I'll try to post.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 11:31:24 PM »
     Well, it happened again, only this time we were driving at highway speed.  We finished with Alberta, then crossed through Saskatchewan, and were heading to Winnipeg Manitoba to spend a few days.  It was a cloudy day, with drizzle earlier so we didn't do much sightseeing.  About 60 miles or so west of Winnipeg, on a straight level piece of 4 lane divided highway, I see in my mirror that we are going to get hit.  A van tags the same back left corner of the Jeep, then swerves out and come back at the back corner of the coach.  They stop, but as soon as they see there was no one hurt, they hop in their van and adios.  The RCMP advised us that the plate did not match the vehicle, so it is likely stolen.
    The funny part, was that after some fairly decent driving to keep from losing control and rolling in the median, when she got out of the driver's door, he followed her out the same door, pulling up his pants and underwear.  So, we can make assumptions as to why she got distracted at drove into a motorhome and toad on the open highway, in broad daylight.
    Our insurance says that since it it a "hit & run", they waive the deductibles, so it goes, but it is just a pain.  Then today, we spent a lot of time at the police detachment with a follow up to the phone report and getting the insurance advised, so we were planning on a short drive.  We picked a PA park about 300 miles awa, but as we got near, the radio was advising tornado warnings, so we kept driving another 300 miles to get well past.  I guess they had several touch down on the week end.
 Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 10:06:06 AM »
Well, that sucks. Guess there are some things you just shouldn't do whilst driving. Glad you guys are ok.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »
Gesh!  What a mess.  Apparently you are able to drive the coach and the jeep?

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 02:09:53 PM »
Ed:

Sorry your pleasant day turned into a bummer! Hope the fixin is quick and easy.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 03:26:25 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear of your latest batch of bad luck.  And that Jeep was  just starting to  look good again.  But I gotta tell you, I was more than a bit  amused by your description of the of the cause.  Sad but it did put a little smile on my face.  Only you guys can make lemonade out of lemons.

May the fix be quick and hassel free.

Betty Brewer

see where we are

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 08:11:01 AM »
   Betty, I picked up the clips, but when I looked at replacing the parts, I  decided it was more complicated than originally thought, so we had taken the Jeep into a body shop in SLC and it was fully fixed, other than a couple of minor scratches on the plastic cowlings, or Arizona Pinstripes as Terry would say.  So, it made it doubly annoying that it occurred.  I glad you thought that it was amusing, we didn't >:(  We particularly didn't think it was amusing that they wouldn't provided information and took off, although that may have been a blessing in disguise, as our insurance waived the deductibles for hit and run.
   The other annoying part is that it has put a dark cloud over the trip, and now we are heading straight to Ottawa, stoping for fuel, food, and sleep, but at a much slower pace, until we can get fully checked out.
   On the up side, while driving into the dusk Sunday evening, the moose had started to come out.  We saw two huge, I'd estimate 2,000 lbs or more, cow moose grazing along the side of the road.  They are so ugly that they are beautiful.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 09:16:14 AM »
    US border ask every time we cross, but this is the first time we were ever asked by Canadian border guards.  You've seen us and our coach, we would carry 10,000 pennies, let alone dollars.

Ed

10,000 pennies would weigh 55 lb, not likely.  LOL.  They are getting lighter with inflation though.
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 09:19:44 AM »
    Wendy, what amazed me was that even though we drove up from Banff, through Jasper, it really is a series of river canyons, with only one long climb, which is north of Lake Louise, just prior to reaching the Columbian Ice Fields. It wasn't marked, but I'd say it never exceeded a 6% grade, and only was about 4 or 5 miles long.  We took it at 20,000 RPM in 3rd gear, it was a breeze.  I'd say there were a couple of hills that were worse, if we were heading south from Jasper to the Ice Fields.
   We have several hundred pictures of mountains, as there was just another as/more beautiful than the last every time you looked up.  When we get to the kids and I have decent wifi, I may try to post some.
   Tom Seiler, we took pictures of Harlequin ducks while we were in the Yellowstone, and a Clark Nutcracker on the rocks along Lake Louise, but didn't get any at Maligne Lake, although there were lots of signs telling people to stay away from their nesting sites.  I'll try to post.

Ed

That is one hi performance engine!  BTW: the Maloneys leave for BC on Saturday, next.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:21:42 AM by taoshum »
Taos, NM.

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 11:33:43 AM »
   I glad you thought that it was amusing, we didn't >:(  We particularly didn't think it was amusing that they wouldn't provided information and took off, although that may have been a blessing in disguise, as our insurance waived the deductibles for hit and run. 

Ed and Donna,

I certainly did not mean to make light of your misfortune, sorry if it appeared like that.  It is even worse knowing you had JUST  goten that Jeep back in prime condition.  I sure hope  the black cloud goes away and does not spoil your memories of such a wonderful trip.  It will get better.
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 07:22:23 PM »
    Betty, no offense taken, I too found parts humorous, but was nevertheless annoyed over their flight.  But the black cloud hasn't left us yet, the muffler dropped off the exhaust manifold driving on Northern Ontario's washboard roads.  Luckily, it merely separated, and didn't fall off, so I was able to tie it up to the frame, but we are now louder than the cowboys who remove their babbles on their cycles.
    We made it to Ottawa, but while backing into our daughter's drive, I backed into their evestroughing, and while it did a bit of damage to it, it broke the coaches' ladder.  So, this fix will be on me, no half moons to blame, and my spotter won't accept blame either, and I won't go there.
    A couple of weeks R & R with the grandkids should put us back into a civilized frame of mind.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 08:17:33 PM »
Ed, you should have stayed in the U.S. Nothing bad happened to you while you were here :)

Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 05:43:45 AM »
   The first hit was in Texas, and Uncle Sam coming after me would have been worse, a tourist entry means I have to leave in 6 months.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 07:13:43 PM »
     We're back in  the Maritimes, at the cottage, and getting set up.  The insurance appraiser is scheduled to come here Thursday to look at the damage on the coach.  Then, we have to go back to Halifax to get the Jeep looked at.  We had no more incidents after leaving our daughter's in Ottawa.
      In all we drove about 7,050 miles, but we haven't had the time to add up the fuel or accommodations yet.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 07:29:10 PM »
Boy I'll bet you guys are glad to be back "Home." 
I sure hope the  fix for Jeep and MH come quickly and easily and  inexpensively!
Betty Brewer

see where we are

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 07:41:53 PM »
Home Sweet Home. How long before you start craving the feel of the road beneath your wheels ?

Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2012, 12:07:23 AM »
   The first hit was in Texas, and
Uncle Sam coming after me
would have been worse, a tourist entry means I have to leave in 6 months.

Ed

really?, like they have someone paying attention to this?
Taos, NM.

PatrioticStabilist

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2012, 12:37:20 AM »
Texas is full of illegals and they have no papers and don't worry about it.  Of course we don't have the same rights so you could be stopped I imagine.

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 04:20:19 AM »
     Yes the border service monitors our comings and goings.  If you search the library and several previous posts, you will see there is a real concern about being banned for 3 to 5 years for over stating your 6 month tourist entry.  But the most serious consequence is that the US IRA deams you to be a resident if you have been in the US for over 6 months and therefor you must file a Tax return, or pay a fine, even if no US taxes are due, so we don't play with the time we are there.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

hpykmpr

• ---
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 05:20:59 AM »
I have been following your post and am sorry for your misfortunes but you sure saw a lot of great scenery.Glad you are safely back in the Maritimes.,,,Alan

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 11:07:43 AM »
    Alan, that Moab Rally was OUT OF THIS WORLD, you really must try it sometime.  We plan on doing it agin, as there is so much near there that we didn't get to see. 
    We must try to get together for a "pop" this fall when we get home from the cottage.

ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

hpykmpr

• ---
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 04:20:39 AM »
We are planning to head west next spring maybe we will get to Moab not sure of the schedule yet'. Hope we do get a chance to get together ,sounds good...Alan

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 06:45:29 AM »
      Well the PAINFUL dealing with the insurance company has commenced.  I don't think I mentioned, but they are treating it as 2 separate claims, so last Friday the first Appraiser came by to look, take pics inside and out, and to start that process.  I'm not sure he was really that knowledgeable about RVs, so it goes.  Then yesterday, a visit to my friend's Jeep dealership, where we had bought the Jeep.  His body shop foreman went through a similar process, and said he would deal with the adjuster.  However, even before he has it priced out, he is of the opinion that the Jeep will be a write off. 
     Since we had already started talking of downsizing, this could speed up the process.  I doubt that we would buy a towable replacement for the Liberty as a 7 passenger SUV is a better fit to our present needs.  Then, do we just sell the coach as we only need a small unit to travel with?  DECISIONS, decisions????
     It is amazing how one stupid piece of inattention by someone else on a clear day, on a flat straight piece of divided highway seems to be having such an effect of our lives.  I guess it could have been a lot worse, we could have been injured, but I must admit that I have uttered more than one curse word when thinking of those 2 who hit us, then ran.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2012, 02:06:56 PM »
     Well as suspected, last night I got a call from another insurance appraiser, who said he specializes in heavy equipment, and has done a few motor homes.  He said that he was called in as the first appraiser felt that he was not qualified to do the motor home.  So, today, this fellow, drove about 200 miles one way to look at the motor home.  He was more familiar with diesels motors, but I am not real sure he has any better feel for the RV world.  However, listening to what they are saying, they seem to be giving indication that the coach will be fixed, and fixed properly.  His big concern was to look to see if there was any obvious mechanical problems or frame damage as a result of the accident.
    Still no word on the Jeep.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2012, 09:44:50 AM »
      Hopefully this will be one of the last updates on this topic.  The initial estimate on the Jeep was that it was a write off, but instead of using my "friend" the Jeep dealer, they did it their way, and the appraiser and one of their preferred body shops, and the parts are ordered and it should go in next week.  The motorhome has been approved too, but the epoxy technician is away on vacation for a week, so it won't go in until next week.  So, in a few weeks we should be back to normal, whatever that is!

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

therealsimpsons

• ---
  • Stan & Becky & Moe the Cat
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2012, 10:40:48 AM »
Ed, we're sorry to hear about your troubles and hope everything turns out good. Not rubbing it in or anything, but here is proof of bighorns in Yellowstone. When we were there, the rangers told us there have been no moose in YNP since 1988 when there was a huge fire. They all moved south to the Grand Tetons. He said it was their opinion that they wouldn't return to YNP for 40 years when their habitat recovered from the fire. It was great to see that you saw moose when you were there. We are planning on another YNP and Grand Tetons visit soon.

Stan
05 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
400 HP C9 Cat
06 Honda CR-V toad with Blue Ox

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 05:19:25 PM »
     Well it is starting to come together again.  We picked up the Jeep in Dartmouth today and drove it back to the cottage, about 175 miles away.  Aside from a few minor fixes, it seems to be back to rights.  No rattles, nor squeaks, wind noise, or any of the things that spring to mind when there is body work done on a vehicle.  Although they are adamant that the lights are hooked up correctly, we'll drive up to the body shop where the motorhome is being repaired to test them.  FWIW, the Jeep was repaired at a former customer of mine, who is an RVer, in fact he was leaving for an FMCA local Rally when we were there.

Ed
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Hosted by Over The Network