fORD V-10, Max RPMs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frederick

I just bought a used 2002 MH with a Ford V-10.  Going up  a steep grade I like to keep the rpms
under 3500.  On level ground the engine is turning about 2100 rpm at 60 mph.

I feel that 3800  rpm might be the max so I don't scatter the engine.  There's no red line mark on
my rpm gage.  My experience has been only with a 454 in my 2000 Flair that I sold.

Your views, please.

Thanks a million. :)

The Ford modular engines (6.8L V-10 and 5.4L V-8) are engineered to operate at the higher RPM's when pulling loads.  It may sound like they're screaming (and it does), but they're fine.  I had my old 5.4L screaming at 4200 - 4300 RPMs a few times pulling my old TT up some hills.  No need to worry, if it's too much, the computer will step in and limit power to the engine.

Had my old 2002 up to 4500 a lot of times and never any damage. Don't remember the exact figures but they like the high RPM's

It doesn't have a redline because the engine computer won't let you over-rev it anyway.

A V10 is a high revving engine - that's the advantage of having more but smaller pistons than a V8. You don't even get the full rated horsepower until 4750 rpms (that's for the 362 hp, 3 valve version but the other variants are close to that for peak hp).

I know where you are coming from.  We had the same engine and I seldom let it go over 3500RPM.

I have the V-10 and commonly run it at 4,000-4,500 RPM with occasional higher speeds. It is designed to run that way and if you can stand the noise (not really too bad in my MH) it shouldn't hurt at all. Just keep it serviced properly and watch the transmission temperature which is much more critical than engine RPM's.
Ernie

I hated the noise, and cringed at what felt almost like abuse, but I'd sometimes get mine almost to 5,000 RPM going up a steep hill, just to keep my speed up (usually tried to keep it below 4500). It didn't seem to hurt it any, and it still didn't use any oil when I sold it.

Synthetic oil quieted mine,
I had a 04 V10 on a F53 chassis.  I had the same cringing problem until I started using Mobil 1 oil.  The engine really got a lot quieter at higher RPM.

I have an 05' Excursion with the V10 and I'm camping right now and on the trip here I saw 5200rpm a few times that's where it shifts from 1st to 2nd while floored pulling my toyhauler uphill. I run mine hard and am usually around 2500rpm while towing on the highway at 65mph.

My V-10 will frequently hit 4000 RPM when I'm climbing a grade at 50 mph, and I've seen it as high as 4200. It would go even higher if I floored it, but it just goes against my grain to push it that hard - even though the engine temp gauge barely moves and, as Gary said, it's a high revving engine by design.

I find the information about synthetic oil and quieter engine operation interesting.

Kev

I recently bought a Winnebago with a Ford V-10, 41,000 miles.  Oil was clean but will be changing it soon, as a maintenance precaution.
I was going to use regular oil (Brand name) but am still considering Mobil 1 full synthetic.
I have heard that at this age (2000 chassis) if I go to synthetic, I may experience oil leakage due to nature of the synthetic oil.
Anyone have any experience (or problems) on changing over from regular oil to synthetic oil at this point?
Please advise.
Thanks,
Paul

Just FYI, I also use Mobil 1 synthetic (with a 7,500 mile change interval) and have found it performs well in all of my engines.

As for temperature increasing; it does, but the temp gauge doesn't move. I have a Scan Gauge and it typically goes from 192 F to as high as 210 F on the hills. Fortunately, the fan cuts in just above 200 and brings it down fast.

The Scan Gauge also monitors transmission temperature (typically ambient + 100 F), a function I find even more valuable.

Ernie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom