May photos of the California Coast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

https://picasaweb.google.com/SeilerBird/May?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Here are my photos for May including a few photos of the eclipse. I was too far south to get the "ring of fire". I visited Oceano, Morro Bay, Monterey and Watsonville in May.

Your eclipse picture is SO dramatic.  Loved it, along with about ten others in my thankless quest to pick a favorite. ;D  Why do I even try each month?

Margi

mariekie4 said:
Where in the world do you get the patience from? It surely takes a lot of waiting and be on the ready to take those great shots.
I have no patience. I can't stand waiting around. In fact a fellow photographer tried to talk me into using a blind of his to photograph in the woods and I wouldn't do it.

I use two techniques instead of patience. First is I do a lot of hiking with my camera. I like the idea of going out and looking for subjects rather than sitting in one place and waiting for them to come to me. Most of the time that involves tripods and I hate tripods.

The second technique is I use "burst mode" on my camera at all times. Most of you take your shots one at a time. In burst mode when you push down the shutter it starts taking photos at the rate of 10 frames per second and doesn't stop until you lift your finger off the shutter or run out of room to store them in the buffer, which is 20 shots in my case.

Having lots of shots gives me the option of choosing the exact right expression on the birds face or the best action shot of the group. An example would be the Curlew pooping. I never saw the poop when I was shooting. When I started the burst he was not pooping and when I stopped the burst he was not pooping. I was mildly surprised when I got the film back from the developer :eek:

Like Margi, there is no way I can select a favorite this month.  I can only thank you again for sharing such shots with us.  Despite the fact that you say you  have no patience waiting  for shots,  you must have some patience in making the selections from those hundreds of burst shots. 

Wow.  I really like herons and the one with his reflection in the water maybe could be a favorite but I don't want to call it just  yet.  :)

What can I say, your pictures always amaze me, Tom!  And I don't mind picking a favorite (mine is the Whimbrel Scores a Meal) for this month.  I love the way it's cropped.

Betty Brewer said:
...you must have some patience in making the selections from those hundreds of burst shots. 
That is why I use Lightroom. It is the best photo editor for dealing with a lot of images in a short period of time. I move my photos onto my hard drive and then add them to the library in Lightroom. Then I sit and look at each shot and when I see one I like I push the B key which tags the photo as one of My Favorites. It takes me about 10 minutes to look at 1000 photos and cull My Favorites. Then I switch to just My Favorites and post process each one. I take around 2000 shots per month and save around 30 shots. Total time is maybe an hour.

I picture you like a radiologist in front a wall of monitors, with microphone in hand :D

Tom, your pictures are so great.  Thanks for the reminder about the burst mode.  I used to use that all the time and kinda got out of the habit.

Marsha~

Back
Top Bottom