TRIP TO MT.RUSHMORE AND YELLOWSTONE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVTom75

WE ARE PLANNING ON A TRIP AROUND THE MIDDLE OF JULY TO THE ABOVE DESTINATIONS,LEAVING FROM DALLAS,TX. -TOO MT.RUSHMORE AND THEN ONTO YELLOWSTONE.
INFO. ON RV PARKS AND ROUTES WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Your post caught my eye quickly.. First trip after I retire will be Mt. Rushmore / Yellowstone!!!!!  I've been all over the world (a few times) however never set sight on Rushmore or Yellowstone... Pretty sad.

Sounds like a good trip, just don't miss the inbetween stuff.  Say hello to the forum folks working here at Yellowstone,  Kamper Dave at Canyon, Jim & Pat Dick, and Jolene and I at Old  Faithfl.  All in the bookstores at the Visitor Centers.

If you like caves (or even if you don't), Wind Cave and Jewel Cave NPS sites are worth a visit. And be sure to do the wildlife drive at Custer State Park. If you are ok without hookups, there's a nice campground at Wind Cave. There's also a nice campground at Devil's Tower which is a cool place to visit.

Wendy

Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore have been on my list of places to visit for several years now and now I finally have my first MH and we are already talking about stopping at both of the locations on our trip to Kentucky and Indiana to visit family. I'm in the same vote as jje1960, I have traveled all over the world but have missed so many terrific sites in my own country. I plan to change that now that I'm in the RV community.

Josh

My wife and I live just south of Dallas in the small town of West. We are planning the same trip next year for our thirtieth anniversary. Please let us know how your trip goes. Places to visit, best route, etc. Thanks in advance.

We used to live just north of Dallas in Flower Mound. This will be our trip next year, most likely.

When at Mt. Rushmore be sure to attend the evening Ranger talk. Very impressive and just might bring a tear to your eye if you love this country.

We are on our way to Yellowstone, after a couple of stops on the east coast, and should be there by the first of July. As Bill mentioned, we'll be at the Old Faithful Park Store.

Jim Dick said:
When at Mt. Rushmore be sure to attend the evening Ranger talk. Very impressive and just might bring a tear to your eye if you love this country.

The last time I was there was last summer, just over a year ago. I was on my Terminal Leave from the USAF and I had just left my last Active Duty base and 3 days before that I had my Retirement Ceremony.

Uh... my allergies kinda kicked in that night...

Oly

PancakeBill said:
Sounds like a good trip, just don't miss the inbetween stuff.  Say hello to the forum folks working here at Yellowstone,  Kamper Dave at Canyon, Jim & Pat Dick, and Jolene and I at Old  Faithfl.  All in the bookstores at the Visitor Centers.

DW & I were in the Canyon bookstore each of the last three years. This time we'll have to stop in and say hi. We've  never been in the one at Old Faithful, but we'll definitely check it out. Probably be around mid August, depending on when we get the new 5er delivered, and how much time we spend wandering around the Badlands, Black Hills, Big Horn N.F., Big Horn Canyon, and Beartooth range.

See you then
Joel

Oly,

That presentation kicks up a lot of allergies! A very good reminder of what we have here in the USA!

Joel,

We'll be looking for you in August!!

add the Badlands, the Mammoth Site, Custer and Needles to your trip

Another little known Jewel is the site of the old Ft. Fetterman outside of the present day Sheridan Wyoming. Not much to see, but if you can catch a time when there is a volunteer/ranger there for an explanation of the site/area it is pretty neat.

I know 15-16 years ago they had a vision of reconstructing the Fort's Flagpole in a monument towards all Veterans, both White and Indian. I don't think they have ever made the dream happen.

Oly

Olys45 said:
Another little known Jewel is the site of the old Ft. Fetterman outside of the present day Sheridan Wyoming. Not much to see, but if you can catch a time when there is a volunteer/ranger there for an explanation of the site/area it is pretty neat.

From a search on Ft Fetterman, a WY state park.

"A restored officer's quarters and an ordnance warehouse are original buildings. They stand among the many visible foundations of the Fort and Fetterman City. These two buildings house interpretive exhibits and artifacts of the Fort's history, Fetterman City, and its Indian predecessors."

The search brought up some interesting sites. I will have to go back and check them all out.    :)

Thanks for the tip, We will have to stop the next time we are that way.

Lots of little known interesting sites in the west.

We are doing Rushmore/crazy horse/Custer/Devils Tower, all that stuff the end of July this year as well.  Been up there 2 times before both on the cycle during Sturgis, but this will be the first with the whole family in the RV.  Really looking forward to relaxing and taking in all the sites with the kids.  The Needles Highway is alot of fun as well.

We had a guided tour of Ft. Fetterman by another forum member who used to live, for many years, in the area. As I recall, he did not have a lot of praise for officer for which the fort was named. :)

We were fortunate to have more than one guided tour of the area. Only wish I could remember what I was told! ;D

I'll be out there the last two week of July myself.  My friend & family will be joining me for a week.  The camp I selected was Rushmore Shadow.  It is a member camp, but they still rent to outsiders.  On the second day I have to attend a sales pitch, but that's fine I'll need a down day after getting there.  I chose them because we will be five with no small children--most places would have us paying for the extra 3 people and it made it more expensive than this camp--which didn't charge a per person at $42 with 50amp/e/w/s.  Potentially I had others that might join me for the other week.  Hopefully it will be as nice as it seems. I expect to need the 50 amp to cool a 40' fifth wheel with five people in late July heat.  (not that the trailer cools that well in extreme no matter what)

I will probably hop to North Dakota and probably NW Nebraska--although Nebraska is doable as day trips.  But this is the list of things I've found to do

South Dakota-------
Badlands National Park
Minutemen Missile Silo National Historic Site
Mt. Rushmore
Crazy Horse Monument
Jewel Cave National Monument
Wind Cave National Park
Custer State Park
Mammoth Hot Springs dig
Spearfish Canyon
Chapel in the Hills
Deadwood
Needles Highway (scenic)
Bear City

Wyoming (Eastern edge)------
Devil?s Tower National Monument (mountain made famous in Close Encounters of the Third Kind)

Nebraska-----
Fort Robinson (where Crazy Horse died)
Agate Fossil Bed National Monument
Chadron State Park
Chimney Rock National Historic Site, Bayard, NE
Scottsbluff National Monument

North Dakota-----
Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members