Panasonic FZ30 Camera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Smoky you also received information right here from at least a couple folks who have done photography professionally and the recommendation was either a UV or skylight filter for protection.  Neither of these filters will do more harm than good but just the opposite.  I have known several professional photographers that do use a filter for lens protection.  In fact it was my photo instructor that gave me this advise years ago when I purchased my first Nikon with several lenses.  But to each his own but I do stand by the recommendation to use a filter for lens protection. Pretty cheap insurance.  Oh by the way if you get a good quality filter there will be no distortions and the advantage of the UV or skylite filter there will be no detectable light loss.

Ron:

From what I read, even the most perfect (or most expensive0 lens possible will still add small amounts of noise and/or distortion.  My physics education tells me this is true.  Now whether or not the slight additional amount might make the photo less effective or artistic would certainly be open to question.  I have several personal friends who are professional photographers... i.e. their sole living comes from the craft,  I phoned them this week and they support what the Sheppard book states.  The camera store where I purchased also offered the same guidance.  They said they recommend a filter on at all times for beginning photographers or those obtaining their first camera of this type.  But since I shot 35 SLR photography for many years, they felt I would be more satisfied purchasing a good polarizer instead of a UV or a neutral, and using it only when I had certain effects I wanted to achieve. 

I think we enter the territory here, where there really is no right or wrong answer.  It boils down to personal preference.  If you want to have ease of mind and the freedom to be a tad more liberal in how you treat your camera, or are in a rough environment, then a protective lens/filter is just the thing.  If you are the finicky type and want always to strive for the most perfect shot possible, then judicsious use of filters and careful care of the camera is certainly an OK option also. 

I do not disrespect the opinions here and always give heavy consideration to them.  But I do not follow them blindly, and my current research indicates that for me there is a better choice.  I always keep an open mind (or try to) and will switch to using a protective lens if I feel that my satisfaction will increase, weighing all the factors.

Just curious if anyone else using the FZ30 is running it naked except when they need a filter for a specific effect?

Hi Smoky:

>> I think we enter the territory here, where there really is no right or wrong answer.? It boils down to personal preference.
====
That's true and I totally agree, so all one can do here is look at what others do on both sides of the fence and make their own decision. With me, there is "no way" I would spend big bucks on a lens and not have it protected with a filter. A solid filter by a Hoya, or other top of line company is certainly a great piece of very inexpensive insurance. A lens cap dangling from a third party connector is a nuisance that I would not want. I try to have cheapo extras in my bag in case I misplace one -- which I often do.

But then, I would never buy the FZ30 in the first place because it has a fixed lens and an EVF that does not let me see the true effect of any filter as I shoot. But these are not issues with the tons of folk buying a non-SLR, so as with using a filter -- there is also no right or wrong. My point in bringing it up is that the FZ30 has the really fine Leica lens that if scratched in anyway, ruins the entire camera -- making its protection even more critical. That lens surface is as true as most with a coating I would not want to touch myself, or have any environmental touching. To have to constantly be thinking of not knocking the lens cap off as I put in the bag -- or in handling of any kind would take away for the aspects of photography that "would" make a difference in my final image.

>> ? If you want to have ease of mind and the freedom to be a tad more liberal in how you treat your camera, or are in a rough environment, then a protective lens/filter is just the thing.? If you are the finicky type and want always to strive for the most perfect shot possible, then judicsious use of filters and careful care of the camera is certainly an OK option also.
====
My feelings are that "none" of my pro camera friends (or myself), however they might feel about a protective filter, could take the same controlled photo with "and" without a protective filter and tell the difference in a resulting image. Nor could their clients. So getting "the most perfect shot possible" (again, my opinion) would have everything to do with many photographic principles and nothing whatsoever to do with the use or non-use of a protective filter.

I too shot with a Nikon 35 -- but most of my pro experience was with medium format (6x6 square,6x4.5 and 6x7 formats using/120 & 220 film). I also shot with a 4x5" Toyo field view camera. All of these cameras had interchangeable lens and were never without their protective filters. I also built from scratch my own darkroom. Other than weddings, I did about 80% of my own darkroom work, both wet and dry -- B&W, Color and from color slides. The interchangeable lenses in my enlarger did not have protective filters, but they were either in the enlarger, or in their special cases.

Smoky, look forward to seeing the stuff you are shooting when you arrive at QZ this Winter . . .

Bob:

Great post? and much I would like to respond to, and I thank you for such a thoughtful post.

You commented that,? With me, there is "no way" I would spend big bucks on a lens and not have it protected with a filter.?

That is exactly how I felt before doing additional research.  If you read back in the thread you will see that is where I was coming from and why I wanted information on where to get a protective lens.  I have always used them in the past with cameras that could benefit from them.

But ? now I am in a ?mood? that I want to see how well I can maximize what I get from this camera.  In fact I am having great fun trying to do this.  It is indeed possible my fun might quickly come to an end when I whirl around trying to catch a fleeting moment, and cut a scratch across my expensive lens.  (Likely I would have to buy a new camera as this is not the SLR type with easily detachable primary lenses).

But I have thought this through from my own point of view.  Barring any additional data I have not considered, I am prepared for such a loss, and that is in the context with better and less expensive lenses today than when I was previously active with serious amateur photography, and also I am working harder at preventative measures.  I like the ?pro? attitude that lens protection comes from good work habits, not additional lenses.

I do not rule out changing my mind in the future, hopefully not with a repurchased camera.  Heheh.  :D

I also gave a lot of thought to the digital SLR.  I decided in favor of the advanced zoom digital because with the LCD you see what the sensor is seeing BEFORE the picture is taken.

I will continue to give this matter more thought.  I am heavily influenced by the fact that the majority of professional photographers do not routinely use protective lenses.  It is true likely the level of my amateur attempts would never need this miniscule difference, I keep thinking there might be that one perfect opportunity? well ? you know the feeling I am sure.  But, I also like the idea of striving for that last ounce of perfection, no matter how low my ability might be.  Likely when I have to repurchase this fine camera, I will change my mind though. 

Bob, which lens do you normally use as you default protective lens?

Wendy,
since I'm a left-eye viewer.
As a firearms instructor, one of the problems we face is the left-eye shooter, who will invariably be off-target. The solution is training. We have them wear a pair of glasses with the left eye area completely blacked out, and no lens in the right eye area. It doesn't take very long to switch them over. Try it! The idea behind blacking out the left lens is that you want them to keep both eyes open at all times. Same holds true for picture taking.

Karl:

Could you speak a little more on why it is a problem when a right handed shooter is left eye dominant and vice versus for a left handed shooter.  I have never quite understood this.  This might be a bit of a thread drift, but in a way it is also related to cameras.  BTW, have you checked my Adirondack trip log yet?  I have a great single malt picture for you to drool over.  ;D  Largest collection I have ever seen in one place and you can buy a shot at a time.  Great idea for a bar.  ;D  First time I could ever afford to try out something as expensive as Johnny Walker Blue.  It is not a single malt but a blend, and I wondered why it sometimes goes over $200 a bottle.  Now I know!

Smoky,
The why's and wherefors are a little involved, but understanding it is not. An analogy would be an old racing saying - "You drive where you look". Ask Bernie about this; he drove a racecar. If you look to one side or the other, you will tend to steer in that direction. With shooting, you may get the sight picture (ball on top of post, rectangle in cutout, etc. with your left eye, but your right eye is gathering the whole picture (looking right while driving), and you will tend to lose the sight picture and pull your shot to the right. It's a natural tendancy, but can be overcome with training.

I am forced to be left eye dominant because of some slight MD in the right eye.? But even before my right eye weakness, I always shot with my left eye, from a right handed position.? In high school I shot competitively, and at summer camp got my NRA Expert rating, also the same in the service.

From this I assume that a person can compensate for whatever problem this introduces.? I did have more trouble with moving targets.? Is the problem more pronounced with moving targets?

I am trying to figure out the physics behind this.? It you line up a front and rear sight with one eye, the barrel aim should be the same with either eye.? Are we talking about a psychological tendency?

I can shoot with left eye open and right closed, or both eyes open.? However I have difficulty with right eye open and left eye closed.

I did have more trouble with moving targets.  Is the problem more pronounced with moving targets?
Absolutely. When the target moves, you shift focus the the far field to 'observe' the motion and lose your sight picture.
It you line up a front and rear sight with one eye, the barrel aim should be the same with either eye.  Are we talking about a psychological tendency?
Pretty much the same answer - you shift your focus to the far field and lose your sight picture. Without it and without a perfect 'squeeze', your trigger pull will aim it to the right.
I can shoot with left eye open and right closed, or both eyes open.  However I have difficulty with right eye open and left eye closed.
For target shooting, closing one eye or the other is fine. For police work, it can be deadly - your losing a large portion of the overall picture. Try the glasses trick. It will seem awkward at first, but if your md isn't too bad, you should be able to master it with your right eye.

This and the previous posts relate to right-handed shooters only. If you're left-handed, the correct eye to use would be your left. There are some 'left-handed" arms available, but not in the variety of choices. My S&W 4006 has both left and right side safety levers, but the magazine release and slide lock are on the left only. You can operate the magazine release with your left index finger and the slide release with your left thumb, but it's not as convenient and you don't have full grip control of the weapon. 

Karl said:
Wendy,As a firearms instructor, one of the problems we face is the left-eye shooter, who will invariably be off-target. The solution is training. We have them wear a pair of glasses with the left eye area completely blacked out, and no lens in the right eye area. It doesn't take very long to switch them over. Try it! The idea behind blacking out the left lens is that you want them to keep both eyes open at all times. Same holds true for picture taking.

Funny, but even though I shoot cameras left-eyed, I always fired weapons right-eyed. Never even thought of it until you mentioned. Do yo mean I wouldn't have qualified Expert in the Army if I had used the left eye? Wow.

Wendy,

Don't mean that at all. Many people can cross-eye shoot quite well at a stationary target, but moving targets, especially at long range, tend to be much more difficult for them. With today's 11+ round semi-automatic weapons, most P.D.'s teach rapid firing as opposed to aim and shoot. Double tap to the body, single tap to the head. Qualifying is rapid fire at a target moving towards you - you fire off one complete magazine, drop the empty, reload and fire off the second, all in about 10 seconds; 23 rounds total. Experienced shooters can do it in much less time.

Wendy:

I qualified expert in the service, and was right-handed using left eye aim.

Karl has clarified this for me as I had much more trouble with moving targets.  My solution was to learn to shoot with both eyes open.  I still aim using the dominate left eye, but having both eyes open gave me a better look at the total picture.  I learned to ignore the double vision of the barrel.

While this discussion has been going on, I experimented again with my right eye.  I realize now, that my MD is not at the focal point but just a tad above and below it.  I believe I CAN aim with the right eye after all, and have just avoided it because of the lack of clarity outside the focal point, which really should not matter.

Thanks to Karl's explanation, I believe when I get to Montana I will do some practice shooting using the right eye.  This has been a fascinating revelation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom