Diesel Fumes Cause Lung Cancer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

The following "Breaking News" item from Medpage Today

Tuesday June 12, 2012

Diesel Exhaust Causes Lung Cancer
PARIS -- Diesel engine exhaust is definitely carcinogenic in human lungs, according to a scientific working group of the World Health Organization after a week-long meeting to review the evidence

Complete article HERE

So does that mean that I have to start wearing a mask when operating my mh? ::)

Quoted from article:  "On the other hand, he said, for most carcinogens risk is associated with dose. "When there is high exposure, the risk is higher and when the exposure is lower the risk is low," he said."

Can't help but wonder how many dollars were spent coming to that brilliant conclusion.

Margi

When i was in the furniture business My company was partnered in a law suit concerning the chemicals in particle board that we used to make chair seats as per the requirements of the customer.  It was discovered that the fumes off of particle board contained a carcinogenic that COULD CAUSE CANCER.  I contacted my supplier Georgia Pacific and sent them a copy of the letter.  Their legal dept. called me back in a couple of days and told me they would take care of it.  They admitted that the formaldehyde used in the processing of the particle board was a known carconegic and COULD CAUSE CANCER.  According to their research for this  this KNOWN CARCONEGIC  FORMALDIHIDE to cause possible cancer in a human that due to the tiny bit used in each of the particle board that a person have to consume two and a half sheets of particle board per day  for seven years to ingest enough of the formaldehyde to POSSIBLY MAYBE CAUSE CANCER.......  Oh yeah,  the sheets of particle board are four feet by eight feet by five eights of an inch thick and weighed probably forty pounds each so if you ate that many sheets for that long you would die from something besides cancer........
I don't pay much attention to these reports from these experts......    these are probably the same guys that said it would take from seven to nine years to put out the oil wells in Keuate as I recall ......lol
Mind you this is just my opinion and I could be wrong and yours may differ........

The furniture company I worked for always used a very low formaldehyde formula until the the no formaldehyde stuff was developed to meet the California law. The reason we did it wasn't to prevent lawsuits from customers so much as to protect our workers who were subject to much higher levels of exposure.

By the way the despite cries from the industry that the California regs would drive up costs, in the end the formaldehyde free particle board was no more expensive but the workers had a better environment and the consumer didn't have to put up with the smell from the out gassing. The later was a real benefit in the RV industry where there is so much particle board in a small confined space.

Well if you breathe enough diesel exhaust, cancer will be the least of your problems.  I would expect just about everything in our environment could be linked to cancer in someway given the time to research it.  Diesel would be high on my guess list though. Right above auto emissions.

captsteve said:
Breaking News!!!!!!!!

The #1 Leading cause of Death is..........Life!!!      Nobody gets out alive!

:p :p :p
TRUE..... And I have figured out a way to take whatever is left over with me when I GO......lol......cj...
(I wonder if Heaven has ATM's)

Re: LIFE.....

I was going to say "Sooner or later they will discover that everybody who has come down with cancer was breathing at the time so BREATHING CAUSES CANCER will be the headline"

I might add, The leading cause of Divorce.... Marriage of course.

The article states an increase in risk -- two- to three-fold for miners. Do you suppose that has something to do with miners getting cancer anyway. Same kind of science that would make a claim that everyone who has eaten potatoes has died...cant argue that fact :eek:

SeaJay

I bought a burning bush (from the local gas company) eternal flame, and put my money in Hebrew National Bank.

I'm ready to meet him.

Say Amen....

Put your hands on the radio...

Rev Billy Sol Harcus

First Church of the Gooey Death and Discount House of Worship

Send your money to Del Rio Texas.

Why is it that something must kill you within 3 days before most of us idiots consider it a threat?  Just askin'.

I'm convinced - I will no longer ride in the engine compartment of the coach.  ???

If I worried about everything that might somehow, someday, cause me harm I would be forever cowering in fear. It's important to be aware of things that are potentially harmful, but necessary to put them in perspective as well.

Gary RV Roamer said:
If I worried about everything that might somehow, someday, cause me harm I would be forever cowering in fear. It's important to be aware of things that are potentially harmful, but necessary to put them in perspective as well.
I totally agree, but the fact that so many seem to poo-poo reports such as this instead of using common sense and cataloging it away as useful information is what chaps my lips.

Wow, so this is a big surprise to anyone?...  "Diesel exhaust is carcinogenic in human lungs, according to a scientific working group of the W...."  Is not any carbon based fuel exhaust a carcinogenic in concentrations.....  Mechanics are now wearing rubber gloves ( as well as I when I change oil) these basic issues are pretty well known now are they not?  Great to raise awareness and caution for hazards, unless you are using a unit that runs on tight rubber-bands, definitely going to be hazards to be aware of.

I'm a lot more worried about the non food, not recognizable additives they are putting in the food and water then something like that. 

I take leftovers of purchased "food" and put it out for the chickens, half the time the ants, flies, or anything will even bother it.  That tells me it isn't even really food.

Back
Top Bottom