Update on Joe and Ann Lacey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
I know a lot of you have been wondering about Ann and Joe and how they're progressing with Ann's (and Joe's) medical problems.  I had an email from Joe this morning after I inquired about Ann's status.  We last heard from Joe at the end of January and not much has changed since then.  Here's what he had to say:

As you know, Cricket suffered a minor<?> heart attack in December.  That effectively took her off the liver transplant list.  She would require some sort of heart operation....and that means giving her medication.  Since the liver must process all chemicals (body fluid) entering the body...and it can't... her death warrant was officially signed.  She is definitely now in the terminal stage.  She is a resident of the VA Community Living Center and I visit her daily.

Her short term memory is shot.  Her long term memory is 'iffy'.  She is mentally confused and can't separate fact from fantasy.  She recognizes me.  She is wheelchair bound.  She sleeps most of the time.  She receives wonderful physical, medical care from the VA staff.

She has now been in the VA Community Living Center for 6 months. 

I'm coping....and waiting.  I can't really make any future plans.  I doubt I will travel.  We had to give up our dogs last November because no pets or plants were allowed because her immune system was so week.  So... I am alone.  Because of the Arizona heat... having a pet is difficult for them.... and I would want to have a dog with me at all times for companionship.

Oh... my toe got infected in April and I spent 9 days in the hospital.  They caught the infection so I did not lose the toe.  However, that experience of being in the hospital finalized my decision not to get a dog.....who would take care of it.  Being alone now, I don't want to burden anyone to take care of a dog, etc.

Not much else to share.  I'm exercising by swimming in the pool and riding my bike.... and walking a bit.  Parking at the VA is always a challenge (not enough parking places)...so I usually end up walking at least a 1/4 mile in order to reach the VA building.  So... I count on that for some of my daily exercise.  I also walk with a cane....well I have it for stability (if I need it)... but it isn't absolutely necessary.

I continue to make pens... having lots of fun with laser cut inlay pens.  I have signed up for two vendor markets (Sunflower and Happy Trails) starting in November.  Hope to sell some pens.. but most of the folks only purchase stuff with the top price of $20.  My pens cost twice that much for materials.  However, it will get me out of the house.

Haven't found anyplace I want to volunteer....to be able to socialize.  Maybe something will turn up.

We suggested he might want to volunteer at the VA as he's there every day anyway.

Those of you with Joe's email address might want to drop him a short note letting him know you're thinking about them.

Sad to read, indeed.  Joe's vibrant personality contributed so much to the forum in the early days.

Margi

It's especially sad that after several years of getting through the paperwork to get on the transplant list, to have that door slammed so suddenly.

That's hard to read. Could happen to any of us. It's good that they have the VA to fall back on and the suggestion to volunteer at the VA is a good idea. Perhaps even taking dogs from a local shelter to visit VA patients?

Wendy

Joe doesn't want to volunteer at the VA as he says it's painful enough for him just visiting every day.  Unfortunately it was the slow VA paperwork process that delayed Ann getting on the transplant list that allowed this to happen.

Ned,

Would you please send me Joe's email address. I don't seem to have it anymore. Either PM or email. Thanks!

Since he misses having dogs, perhaps he could volunteer at the local animal shelter.

Too bad about the VA.

Here's an email I just received from Joe and he asked that it be shared.  There are some things that he's going through that could happen to a lot of us if we don't prepare in advance.

Today I spoke to the Community Living Center Social Worker.  Wonderful person... whose job is to help with all kinds of personal matters.  Let me share why I requested her help.

Perhaps it might be of some use for you to share with the RV forum. 

Cricket and I have joint account for our financial matters.  When she joined the Air Force, she opened an account at Eglin AFCU.  Of importance is that Eglin AFB is in Florida.  I received a letter from Eglin FCU the other day stating that our accounts were being placed as "de-active".  This is done when no activity has occurred for more than 6 months.  The letter stated that all I had to do to 'activate' my account was to call and tell them or deposit or withdraw any amount.

However, if I didn't do anything, the account (by Florida law) would be closed and all the money in the account would be turned over to the state of Florida.

Not to panic!  Over the years, Cricket and I had jointly opened an account with USAA and that is our active financial institution.  We just kept the Eglin account open as a safety valve...should we want to borrow money.  Both Cricket and my account had less than $50 currently in it.... but I had no desire to give any money to the state of Florida.  So... I called Eglin FCU and told them to close both accounts.

I was able to close my account.  However, in order to close Cricket's account, she had to talk directly to the operator on the phone.  Of course, that is no longer possible.  The bottom line is that in order for the account to be closed, some 'acceptable' proof had to be sent to the bank.

Now, since I have a medical power of attorney, I thought it would be a simple matter to have the VA submit a copy to the bank.  No such luck.  As the Social Worker shared with me... the medical Power of Attorney is fine for permission for medical matters.

However the VA's experience has been that when it comes to legal matters (such as dealing with banks/financial affairs)... a legal power of attorney is required.  Had Cricket and I had signed such a document when both of us were "mentally healthy", I would have had a copy and the matter would end there.

But.. I don't have that legal document.  To obtain that document now would cost a lot of money, going to court, etc. 

Now I have two options: (a) wait until she dies and obtain a death certificate and send it in and release the funds; (b) deposit $5 into her account, thereby keeping it open and active and wait until she dies and THEN send the death certificate in.  So.... I am depositing $5.

Now... here is the 2nd situation.  As it happens, it occurred two days ago.  This definitely will be of interest to all SKP members.  We are registered as residents of Texas.  As such, every once in awhile, we receive a summons to appear for Jury Duty.  Last week Cricket received that Jury Summons.  As everyone knows, there are about a dozen reasons a person can have to be excused for jury duty.  However, none of them cover being in a terminal condition...specifically.

I called the court and explained our situation.  No problem.... just have a doctor certify that she is actually in a terminal condition that will not improve.  This is a well known condition that the VA has experience with.  So, I contacted the VA, brought the original jury summons letter to them and they are taking care of it.

Ned, unfortunately, both of the above situations have an excellent chance of happening to our friends.  Perhaps sharing my experience will prepare them to ensure they have a legal power of attorney to minimize the daily requirement of dealing with such matters.

I to will have to get Joe's email address.  I met Joe before we had Forum rallies.  We both were on Compiserve Veterans Forum.  He interested me in joining the SMART group.  (military travelers).  As Margi said he was an early member of the Rvforum - Coopuserve then.  Daisy and I were at Hasslers Park in Quartzsite when a message showed up from Joe asking if anyone was in QZ that had a phone line.  We did and he drove over from Phoenix and we serched for a place for the Escapees to open a booth.  Later in the month he brought his motor home to our park and we shared a phone line.  Cashmores and John Wilson drove in and the phone line was expanded.  A day or two later Terry Brewer, Dee Reed and four others from Dee's Good Sam Group.  Cricket was nursing troops in Saud Arabia on a years assignment    So started the first Quartzsite rally.
Fred Thomas

This relates only in the power of attorney issue.  Because my husband is overseas and seldom home we went to an attorney and had powers of attorney set up for me to handle everything in his abscence.  I buy and sell houses at times and take care of everything else.

Well we have found its worthless in buying and selling real estate or anything else with his name on it or his and mine both, they still have him call them from wherever he is in the world and send him documents and sign off on stuff.  Ok, he decided since its such an issue we just buy everything in my name now.  That really worries me and I can't handle his roths, IRA's or anything and he can't even sell his own truck as its in my name, all the vehicles are!  We are hoping this won't be an issue as we have wills for both of us, DNR orders, and everything we think we will need plus Texas is a community property state.  He does have a bank account or two but my name is on those too.  I have also had the same issue with bank accounts and closed them out.

It is so easy to get caught in a paperwork jungle anymore with just one of you gone I can only imagine what this poor man is going through.

Be really careful in setting things up for yourselves for the times like this when one or both of you could become incapacitated.  It's sad they make it all so complicated when you are at your lowest points in life.

[quote author=PatrioticStabilist] It's sad they make it all so complicated when you are at your lowest points in life.
[/quote]

So True.

Betty
Edit: Fixed quote.

This was in my inbox from Joe this morning:

Cricket passed away on July 25, 2012 at 9:30am.

It was after a long illness with liver cancer.  It required her residing at the Community Living Center of the Phoenix Veteran Administration  Medical Center.

The staff took wonderful care of her physical needs, providing medical care and emotional support.

Cricket subscribed to Science Care, an organization that uses body parts for medical science.  When finished, her ashes will reside in the family plot in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

I want to thank you for your support, your letters and your prayers during this entire time.

I want to share with you how I am coping with this loss.

We had been married 33 years and owned poodles that entire time.  They were our children.

For the last few months, I have been searching for a meaningful way to enjoy living when Cricket is gone.  The result was finding a person who trains Service and Therapy dogs. I took possession of 18 month old huge Golden Retriever/White Poodle named Bernie. 

When I visited Cricket Tuesday, I told her about Bernie...and that he was with me and my role in training him to provide happiness to a handicapped child.

That was the last time I saw Cricket.  She passed at 9:30am on July 25th.

My mission in life is to train Bernie, and future dogs, to be of service so others can enjoy life.

Again... thank you for your letters, support and prayers.

-joe

PatrioticStabilist said:
Be really careful in setting things up for yourselves for the times like this when one or both of you could become incapacitated.  It's sad they make it all so complicated when you are at your lowest points in life.

We have found that a family trust works well.  The paper work was absolutely painless when my first wife died as everything was in the trust and I was the surviving owner, wrong term but you get the idea.  I didn't even have to see a lawyer as in effect, nothing changed.

The only problem is if you move to another state and become a resident there.  You will probably have to get a new one prepared as I did when I moved to Montana.  This was after getting a new one when I remarried.

Back
Top Bottom