Trans temp gauge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L2C

I have a 2000 pace arrow with the ford engine and transmission(I believe). I'm looking to put a transmission temp gauge on it for my month long trip. Any suggestions out there? It has 30k miles on it. Should I change the transmission oil too?

I'd get a Scan Gauge II, it plugs into the OBD II port and can read trans temp and a lot of other parameters and then change the tranny oil.

Funny, I have a scan gauge and did not know it would read transmission temperture. I will check that out.

dave61 said:
Funny, I have a scan gauge and did not know it would read transmission temperture. I will check that out.
Actually, I think it may read internal tempurature which might be scary until you get correlated.  Reading the temp of the fluid as it returns to the transmission might be more informative of the condition of the entire system.

If you're going to drain the fluid anyway drop the pan and have a sensor installed in the trans sump and wire it to whatever gauge you want. Some will argue where the sensor has to be placed to be accurate such as before the cooler, after the cooling line, the sump, etc. etc. The main reason to install a temp gauge is to watch for changes in temperature and then determine if that signifies a problem. Right now everyting is working correctly so make a note of what the trans sump oil temp is and watch that for changes down the road. If you can afford the Scan gauge it does monitor a lot of info.

There is an empty sensor port on the drivers side of the transmission just above the pan and in front of the shift linkage.  Your probe for the gauge goes there.  For analog gauges, I recommend Isspro.

Check out post #10 on this page: http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f24/high-pressure-port-plug-4r100-need-help-asap-301738/

If you want something that plugs into the OBD II port, I suggest the Edge Insight CTS.  It will give you data on everything the computer is seeing.  For your application, you would be able to monitor Battery Voltage, Cyl Head Temp, Engine Coolant Temp, Engine Load, Engine RPM, Fuel Level, Gear with TCL, Intake Air Temp, Mass Air Flow, Mileage Coach, MPG Instant, MPG Average, Spark Advance, Throttle Position, Time 0-60, Time 1/4 mile, Trans Temp, Vehicle Speed
http://www.edgeproducts.com/product.php?pk=145&pvk=405

I've had mine for a year now and wouldn't drive another mile without it.  It also reads and clears trouble codes.  I was able to use it for troubleshooting on my wife's car as well as a friends Winnebago.

That was the specific reason I bought mine, when I was towing a TT. It'll read lots of things, all from the internal computer (I think), as well as calculate a number of other things. The specific items it reads/calculates depend on what is sensed/kept/read by the internal vehicle computer. I used the X-gauge programming to get a few additional items for my F-150 that I occasionally look at.

my truck is pre-OBD2. I got an oil drain plug kit. It has 1/8" pipe  threads for the plug. I screwed the sensor in there instead of the plug. I could unplug the two wires and still use it for a drain.

Back
Top Bottom