Dometic refrigerator frost problem in a Reyo/Via

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billt

Looking for anyone having freezer frosting problems in the VIA/Reyo in the Dometic refrigerator -- we have a possible solution.  Dometic or dealers offered no help so we had to find out what to do.

Edit by John:  made subject more descriptive

We haven't had a problem in the two years we've owned the unit. We use a battery operated fan in the interior to keep the air moving though. Have used it in all our rigs over the years...

The VIA (Domitic) refrigerator is a pain and the company is no real help with the frost problem.  We have insulated the bottom the removable plastic freezer section with 1" poly foam and this seems to help keep the freezer section stay colder and without frost for a longer time.  This plastic section is hollow and without any insulation and is directly exposed to the refrigerator (at 40 F).

Um.  Freezer frosting is caused by humid air getting into the freezer compartment, usually either from leaking door gaskets or from the door being open much of the time. 

We have had our Via for two years and have had no problem with frost.  Even on two week outings we have had no frost build up.  Outside cup is filling with water so it appears to be defrosting.  I think you may have a leak somewhere or are opening and closing the refrigerator a lot so that it can't handle the moisture.

On our second refrigerator. Presently the fan is making a loud noise. I can never get the freezer below 20 degrees, and it frosts up and needs defrosting every 4 to 6 days. We use coolers for drinks so we don't have to open the refrigerator often. Use an inside extra fan, battery operated and additional fan outside and still have problems maintaining a safe temp for storage. Likes to hover around 48 degrees. Does very poorly in hot and humid weather. Never had these problems with other RV refrigerators.

Yes , all dollar test passed for gaskets -- no leaks. It is the freezer section that frosts up not the refrigerator.  We don't open the freezer section for extended periods.  I have  read the documentation on the RML8555 refrigerator and there is no mention that it has a self defrost feature.  If anyone has better info please let us know.  We still use the insulated bottom of the freezer section and the battery fan in the refrigerator section -- but we still just get to 10 days till the freezer sections frosts completely between the fins. However, this is better than the 5-6 days before.

Call Winnebago and ask for a rep. from Dometic that you can deal directly with. You are not alone. We had our first unit looked at and no problems found. Then the 12v did not work, then the gas, and we got a second refrigerator. This one still frosts up quickly. Going in for repairs for the fan and heating element warning that came on for a short while. We noticed the top of the door doesn't seem to be as tight as the bottom. I met another Reyo owner who has the same problems with frequent defrosting. They don't have medication in theirs so they aren't as upset about the occasional temp. rise to over 50 degrees when using 12v for awhile. My refrigerator passed the 50 dollar test :) and still works like #*+^.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom