Photography

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

G2EWS

Hi All,

I am a serious hobbyist photographer and have found the combination of being an RV'er, an early riser and photography go together so well.

As we travel around I always have at least one camera and various lenses with me. Up in the morning nice an early to catch the views and wildlife.

I am a Nikon man and am fortunate enough to have a D3S for sport and wildlife and a D3X for portrait and landscapes, with most of the Nikon pro lenses up to the 200 - 400.

Anyone else into this great hobby?

Best regards

Chris

Chris, we have a number of seriouly good photographers here, and I'm sure some will jump in. Personally, I'm a point @ shoot'er, wishing I had a fraction of the skills of some of the folks here.

DW is a Wildlife Photographer and we love taking our rig out so she can catch the early morning critters.

She too is a Nikon freak. I'm not sure what she has, I just get the bills...

I do know she has some pretty long glass and gets some great shots.

If you would like to see some of her work,  Trinasvisions.artistwebsites.com

I'm not trying to sell her work, Just sharing it!!

Welcome to the forum. There is always room for one more serious photographer here.

I am a very serious BIF photographer. I have been living full time for the last nine years and I have had a camera with me every step of the way. I am not a fan of any camera maker, they are all great. I get a new camera every year. I started with Lumix bridge cameras, then switched to Canon DSLRs, then Nikon and now I am shooting with Sony and that is where I am going to stay.

I have been to all the lower 48 states in the last nine years and all 46 of the National Parks in the lower 48 states. I have been posting my photos most every month and you can view them in the link below.

zzyzx said:
Welcome to the forum. There is always room for one more serious photographer here.

I am a very serious BIF photographer. I have been living full time for the last nine years and I have had a camera with me every step of the way. I am not a fan of any camera maker, they are all great. I get a new camera every year. I started with Lumix bridge cameras, then switched to Canon DSLRs, then Nikon and now I am shooting with Sony and that is where I am going to stay.

I have been to all the lower 48 states in the last nine years and all 46 of the National Parks in the lower 48 states. I have been posting my photos most every month and you can view them in the link below.

I still like the Lumix FZ50. It is a nice compromise between convenience and image quality. I usually keep an Olympus Tcon17 1.7X converter on it and have it mounted on a BushHawk shoulder stock.

Joel

I too am a avid photographer.  I shoot mostly landscapes, flowers, some wildlife and do quite a bit of macro work.  I differ from many others with my art conversions from photos.  In the 1980's I originated my "Photo Escapes" which are one of a kind pieces consisting of art and photos.  You can see some of my work at:

www.skylightartists.com  and  http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

Glad to have you in the group.

I'll be doing some shooting in Yellowstone next month along with Jim Dick who is also a member of this forum.

I too am nuts about Nikon.  My forte is petroglyphs.  Each year my bud ED & I spend 4 - 8 weeks in remote western regions searching for and photographing petroglyphs and pictographs. 

Welcome.

I use Canon but it doesn't really matter, it's personal preference. You might agree that it's the photographer not the equipment that makes the image. (Although I haven't used a pinhole lately, neither have I used a view camera lately.) In any case, I look forward to you posting images here. Again, welcome.

Pierat said:
Welcome.

I use Canon but it doesn't really matter, it's personal preference. You might agree that it's the photographer not the equipment that makes the image. (Although I haven't used a pinhole lately, neither have I used a view camera lately.)
I don't think you would be making that remark about pinhole cameras if you would have seen the May 2011 issue of National Geographic. It really is the photographer and not the equipment.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/05/camera-obscura/oneill-text

G2EWS,

I'm an avid amateur who happens to use Canon cameras but, as mentioned earlier, it's not the camera but the photographer.

I enjoy landscape photography but also do birds/animals along with flowers. My wife has me taking photos of almost all the flowers she sees! :)

We are currently on our way to Yellowstone NP where we have a summer job. It's a marvelous paradise in which to take great photos. We have been fortunate to work there the past two summers and will continue until we feel it's finally time to retire again! ;D ;D

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to seeing some of your images.

The photography forum I hang around on (dpreview.com) is filled with "fanboys" who think the the world revolves around the brand they shoot with and in particular the model camera they use. Everything else is junk and anyone who uses anyone else is an idiot. I am glad that problem doesn't exist on this forum with either motorhomes or cameras.

Sony just released a $13,000 500mm lens. Someone posted some shots that just did not impress me as making the lens worth that much money. So I posted some shots from my $750 500mm lens and said my lens is just as sharp and massively cheaper. All hell broke loose because way too many people judge the quality of the item by the price tag and are not qualified to judge quality by looking at the photos. It costs 17 times more so it must be way sharper. 

zzyzx said:
The photography forum I hang around on (dpreview.com) is filled with "fanboys" who think the the world revolves around the brand they shoot with and in particular the model camera they use. Everything else is junk and anyone who uses anyone else is an idiot. I am glad that problem doesn't exist on this forum with either motorhomes or cameras.

Sony just released a $13,000 500mm lens. Someone posted some shots that just did not impress me as making the lens worth that much money. So I posted some shots from my $750 500mm lens and said my lens is just as sharp and massively cheaper. All hell broke loose because way too many people judge the quality of the item by the price tag and are not qualified to judge quality by looking at the photos. It costs 17 times more so it must be way sharper.

The sharpness of a photo taken with a 500mm very likely depends as much on the steadiness of the mount as on the quality of the lense.

Joel

orlinsky said:
The sharpness of a photo taken with a 500mm very likely depends as much on the steadiness of the mount as on the quality of the lense.
Yep. It is also highly dependent on the photographer knowing what he is doing and setting the camera setting correctly.

Hi Again,

I so agree with the photographer being the best 'tool' not the camera. Or as some put it the 12" behind the camera!

As mentioned I have some good kit, but that is because I am hedging my bets! Giving myself every opportunity to get it right. I am of course still learning and having fun with it all the time.

Best regards

Chris

Welcome to the forum. Like you, I have made my comittment to equipment NIKON. I'm presently shooting with a D300 and a D800, with an assortment of NIKOR glass. I enjoy taking photos just for the fun of it and seem to have focused on landscapes from our travels and hockey--grandson is a goalie on a AA league team. I tend to keep most of my photos for my own enjoyment and don't post a lot. I've been doing it since I started developing my own when I was in the 8th grade--way to many years ago.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom