Here we go again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geodrake

Moderator Emeritus
Even though we sold the motorhome we are not done campground hosting. Tomorrow we head east to be Cabin Camp Hosts for the National Park Service at Prince William Forest Park, just south of Washington D.C.  http://www.nps.gov/prwi/index.htm This is the same park whose RV/tent campground we hosted last summer. 

The NPS is providing a furnished home for us to live in while we are there.  Happy Land Camp (Cabin Camp 5) http://www.nps.gov/prwi/planyourvisit/happyland.htm has cabins, dining hall, showers, etc. and has a capacity of 211.  We don't know all of the ends and outs but anticipate it to be considerably different than any RV/tent camp ground we have hosted.  Most camp grounds have the more than an occasional need to quiet people down when it gets late and deal with a drunk or two.  Being a group cabin camp I anticipate boy scouts, church groups, etc. and a whole different set of circumstances.  The best part will be that the only people they can disturb is themselves (and maybe the hosts).

I started packing the car yesterday and hope to finish today, however I don't know how I am going to get everything in the car.  It is much different than packing up the motorhome.  We will be there for the months of July and August.  Tomorrow we will begin the trek out there taking two weeks as we visit friends and relatives along the way. 

geodrake said:
Being a group cabin camp I anticipate boy scouts, church groups, etc. and a whole different set of circumstances.  The best part will be that the only people they can disturb is themselves (and maybe the hosts).
You might be disappointed.  There could be those big bonfires and ghost stories with loud sceams and then there's that all-night gospel sing thang... :)

Hard to give it up entirely, isn't it? I suspect that your furnished house is a typical NPS seasonal housing unit, nothing elegant but fine for a couple of months. Be ready for some of those groups to get a little rowdy. When hosting at Death Valley, none of the hosts wanted the loop that included the group camp sites. The worst were college field trip groups, up late, huge campfires, loud music, drinking. Second worst were the Boy Scouts, huge campfires, running all over the place, noisy. But I'm sure you can cope. Enjoy !

Wendy

George, that's Great News.

I just spoke with Jane and she agrees that we should try to plan our return leg (late August) from our Ill/NY trip to allow us to stop for a day or two and visit with you folks while you are in the Park.  I assume the RV portion of the park is within a reasonable commute.

I know we tried this last year, but Hurricane Irene changed our plans.  Maybe we can make it work this time.  I really hated missing out on the opportunity to meet you last year.

I may not be able to firm up plans until late in July or early August since our travel plans are, as usual, dictated by relatives health and schedules, as well as our own.  I may need the assistance of your obvious pull with the NPS for last minute reservations. ;) :)

You are right Tom, I look forward to it.

Lou, I sent you an e-mail........... we would love to have you stop.

Looks like we are going to miss seeing you two - too bad. We are an hour or so south of Fredricksburg until 6/26 when we head for the Hershey, PA area.  That's probably about the time you arrive in Prince William.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom