New tires for the Jeep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
When we get back from Alaska in September some time I am going to need some new rubber on the Rubicon. I have been through 2 sets of BFG Mud Terrain T/A's.  Good tires for off roading, but these suckers get loud when they start wearing in and cupping.  I am thinking of going with a set of All Terrain's with a little less aggressive tread pattern. 

Is anybody else running them have an opinion?  I am going to keep the same size that is on there now, 225/75/R17 as I don't want to screw around with re-gearing at this point.

Marty,

We had two sets of All Terrain TAs on the Liberty and wow, they sure do get loud after about 10K miles.  The Libby now has mall crawler tires since we got the Rubicon.  I have All Terrain TAs on my truck and they aren't loud - that one I haven't figured out.

We have MT/Rs (Kevlar) on Rubi and surprisingly they are fairly quiet and do a pretty good job on the street and are fantastic on the trail.  The All Terrains are just okay on the trail, your Mud Terrains have a much more aggressive tread.

The Mud Terrain's are really aggressive and are great off road, but pulling the Jeep as much as I do really screws them up pretty quick. My hope is that a tread that is not as aggressive will hold up better in tow.

Gone through 2 sets of BFG AT's on my Nissan before trading it in last week on our new Rubicon.  Loved those tires!

On the Jeep type forums... the GY Duratrac is discussed more often than any other tire... as an optimum compromise between DD, towing and off-road...  plus it's supposed to be lighter, quieter and better in snow.  Hard to believe anything can do that much but it is very popular.  A popular size is the 15X33X12.5 mounted on the MB72 black steel wheels.  DiscountTire is a popular source and "Tread Lightly" gets you a $100 discount via Discount Tire.  GY also throws in a rebate every now and then. 

It has a lower rated sidewall (3 ply) than most of the MT tires so that might be an issue in the sharp rocks.  I will probably get some if I can ever build up enough miles on the Rubicon MT "take-offs" that are on there right now.  Plus I  still have the OEM Sahara Bridgestones sitting in the garage. 

Kinda weird, I never had any trouble wearing out tires before I retired.  Now they will probably "age-out" before they "wear-out", just like the RV tires.  In fact, the Michelins on the DW's car did "age-out" with plenty of tread remaining.  We thought a wheel bearing that was going out but it was one of the tires.  The Ford Dealer had the best prices on tires that I could find.  Could not believe that either.

Really like the Toyo Open Country's on our Jeep now as far as wear and quietness goes.....they do okay on trails, but there's nothing like the MT's for off roading. I previously had a set of Falken (I think they were called High Country) tires on it that were super quiet, but I didn't have them on long enough to judge the wear....upgraded to bigger.

Since 2004 until this spring, I've been driving nothing but BFG All Terrain.  I had 2 sets of 31" on my '02 Xterra from '04 until '09.  Then I had a set of 33" on my GMC Sierra from '09 until this spring.  I always loved them, except on ice where only a true ice tire would work great.

I traded the GMC for a '12 Xterra Pro4X (off road model) and I've put 32" GY Duratrac.  They are a little lounder than the BFG, but not much.  They look a lot more agressive than the BFG.  I have not tried them in mud yet, tried them in a few inches of snow, but not enough snow to qualify as a test. 

The centre section of the Duratrac has a smaller gap between the threads, better for on road, and the sides more aggressive, better for mud and snow.  Can be studded too if you'd use them as winter only tires.

I don't know what type of driving that you do the most of but I can tell you the MTR's are a great all around tire and are great offroad.

I agree, they are awesome. But I tow it a lot, which accelerates cupping. When they get cupped enough, they get LOUD and they sound like I am always driving on a cobble stone street. Just looking for something that is not quite so aggressive.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom