Questions for those with lots of experience...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsar72

Greetings,

My wife and I are going to make our maiden voyage in our 2011 Vesta 32PBS to the Florida Keys.  The trip will require 1,500 miles one way .  We plan to drive approximately 430-470 miles per day for three days.  On the fourth day we will have a short three hour drive from Miami to Sugarloaf Key.  In order to save cost on our food bill, we have prepurchased somewhere around 10 pounds of meat. 

Is it best to leave the meat in the freezer of the RV and run the generator every few hours?  Best to repackage the meat in the container it was shipped and add more dry ice?  Or use a traditional cooler with either dry ice?  If you have a suggestion, please be specific.

Should an RV be parked directly on conrete or should our leveling blocks be used to protect the tires from direct contact with concrete?  The spot in Florida looks like they have gravel for parking.   

How important are tire covers?  Any suggestions?

Lastly, is there anything wrong with carrying additional propane tanks in the cargo area below?  Obviously, we know they could explode on impact in a collision.  However, we don't want to be constantly moving the RV to refill our primary tank.  No experience with how long it will last over 21 days.  Also, we are not wanting to break any state laws we are unaware of at this time.

Thanks for any help...We are not stupid, just very naive in the Art of RVing the smart way.

tsar72 said:
My wife and I are going to make our maiden voyage in our 2011 Vesta 32PBS to the Florida Keys.  The trip will require 1,500 miles one way .  We plan to drive approximately 800 miles per day for three days.  On the fourth day we will have a short three hour drive from Miami to Sugarloaf Key.  In order to save cost on our food bill, we have prepurchased somewhere around 10 pounds of meat.
Oh noooo. 800 miles a day is totally obscene. Doing it for three days in a row is off the scale. Most of us here limit ourselves to under 300 miles per day. My limit is usually 200. It is not like driving a car at all.
Is it best to leave the meat in the freezer of the RV and run the generator every few hours?  Best to repackage the meat in the container it was shipped and add more dry ice?  Or use a traditional cooler with either dry ice?  If you have a suggestion, please be specific.
Many people run their refer while driving. I don't, I turn it off when I start and turn it back on when I am done driving for the day. The freezer won't thaw out in a few hours.
Should an RV be parked directly on conrete or should our leveling blocks be used to protect the tires from direct contact with concrete?  The spot in Florida looks like they have gravel for parking.
I park directly on concrete, gravel or dirt and never have had any problems.   
That has been debated endlessly around here with the members divided on the answer. I think they are a waste of time and money.
Lastly, is there anything wrong with carrying additional propane tanks in the cargo area below?  Obviously, we know they could explode on impact in a collision.  However, we don't want to be constantly moving the RV to refill our primary tank.  No experience with how long it will last over 21 days.  Also, we are not wanting to break any state laws we are unaware of at this time.
Most people have no problem going one month on a tank of propane. Being single I can usually go a few months. But you can carry propane tanks in the cargo area.

Pretty much what Tom says...

I have done two 500 mile runs out of necessity and even with two drivers, would never do it on purpose. Besides killing yourself, you miss the fun of the journey. Five hours wrestling anything is our limit.

Our old rig ran the refer on propane or electric and we just let it run. Never had an issue with food defrosting.

We have parked on everything and as long as you don't have moisture collecting under the rig, it matters little. We have never used tire covers and the group seems to be divided on that. You are not going to be in the blazing sun that long, anyway. The desert, maybe, the Keys, maybe not so much.

I am trying, however, to figure why you need so much propane, unless your tank is tiny. You have to remember your on board tank is underneath, too. Don't think I would be overly concerned about carrying an extra bottle, as many do.

Have fun and try to enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

Slow down and take 5 or 6 days to go that 1500 miles.  If you do it in 3 days, you'll spend the next couple of days recovering.

Run the refrigerator on propane while on the road and it will stay cold.  If all you're using the propane for is the refrigerator and cooking, your on board tank should last for months.  We have a 30 gal. tank and fill at most once a year, even using it in the winter for some heating.  Carrying free standing bottles is much more hazardous than leaving your on board tank on.  If you do transit any tunnels, you may have to turn the propane off before entering, there will be signs telling you of the procedure.

Parking on gravel is fine, no need to block the tires.  As for covers, I'm in the "waste of money" camp.

Run the refig on auto or gas.    Park on anything.  The tires don't care,

I buy propane about once a year can't emagine how you plan to use that much propane in the keys.

Covers, only when I park here in the desert for long perods of time.

1)  You'll be exhausted when you arrive.
2)  Use your refrigerator and freezer on either propane or electric, depending on what's available.  That's why they've been put into your RV.  I repackage meat into smaller packets.  Never have carried a cooler and dry ice in 35 years and 5 RVs.  There will be grocery stores most places!
3)  Park anywhere you'll be level.  It's not like you'll be storing it for a long time.  Simply not an issue!
4)  Tire covers are a ripoff.  Never used them either and it hasn't made one iota of difference.
5)  You probably won't begin to use the propane in your regular tank.  The refrigerator uses very little.  You sure won't be needing heat in the middle of Florida's summer.  Your only use will be hot water and cooking.
6)  You're worrying too much about things that really aren't all that important.  Relax, take your time, and enjoy your trip.

ArdraF

What they all said. you'll make this trip, look at the concerns listed here and laugh little. And make a new list of what you REALLY need next time. We found that we can buy anything we need along the way, don't sweat the small stuff.

Did I miss something?  ???  I thought the OP said he would be driving  only 430 to 470 mile per day.  While that is still ambitious, it is not 800 miles?  I think you will be fine doing the miles you stated.  As far as the other comments above, they are all correct.  Especially about the propane lasting.  We've had ours a year as of last week and still haven't refilled.  Have a great trip!

Steve

They edited the post. I think that is still moving too quickly, unless it is ground you are completely bored with.

Steve N Dee said:
Did I miss something?  ???  I thought the OP said he would be driving  only 430 to 470 mile per day.  While that is still ambitious, it is not 800 miles? 

Steve

Initially, the OP said 800 miles per day then edited the message to 430 to 470. Guess he saw the light :)

Yep, it was edited. It definitely said 800 miles before the edit and now it is at 430-470, which is still obscene but way better than 800. This is their first trip and probably the last time they will attempt that many miles in a day.

We plan to drive approximately 430-470 miles per day for three days.

Here's a perspective of folks that are part-timers, and not that many years either... The experts have suggested that you plan on shorter days... maybe you have limits that dictate a faster pace?  You can make that distance/day, especially if you both drive... it's hard to average more than 50 mph so you're talking about 9 hours, maybe more?  On the interstates, you can make this if you need to do so.  Remember, if you push the speed higher to make time, your fuel bill will skyrocket over 60mph...

In order to save cost on our food bill, we have prepurchased somewhere around 10 pounds of meat. Is it best to leave the meat in the freezer of the RV and run the generator every few hours?  Best to repackage the meat in the container it was shipped and add more dry ice?  Or use a traditional cooler with either dry ice?  If you have a suggestion, please be specific.

How much can you save?  $3/lb... that's $30... about 7-8 gallons of fuel.  In the overall picture of  cost for the trip, this is small... sometimes it helps to put it in perspective...?

Should an RV be parked directly on concrete or should our leveling blocks be used to protect the tires from direct contact with concrete?  The spot in Florida looks like they have gravel for parking.

When you get there, ask other RV folks what they suggest?  Maybe there is a local issue?  Or, just look around and use similar parking protocol to the other RV's. 

If you have some, take 'em... they are light and don't take much space.  They keep UV off the tires and maybe you like the appearance?  If you don't have any, probably don't need to spend the $$ just for this trip.

Thanks for any help...We are not stupid, just very naive in the Art of RVing the smart way.

I can testify, there are no stupid questions when you are just getting started, none... AND... there are many ways to do almost anything... some may be better than others but maybe not... that seems to be part of the "journey"... find something that works for you... it's your trip.

You will be pleasantly surprised to find that there are grocery stores in Florida - real honest-to-goodness supermarkets!  Even in the Keys. You can buy meat when you arrive and prices are about the same as anywhere else in the USA.

400-470 miles/day is a tiring day buy quite do-able when traveling the interstates.  It's not much fun, but then you get to spend longer at the destination.

I just drove 785 miles in 2 days and it sucked.  It was around 500 yesterday and the rest today.  Im exhausted and the drive was no fun.  Given more time it would have been 300 miles and 2 days longer but I needed to get home for work in the morning.  You can do it but for your own sake not that often.

Jeff

I see nothing wrong with OP, tsar72, plan to drive 1500 miles in 3 1/2 days.

When we lived in Vermont and would take a winter break (from work and winter weather) to Florida we usually made the trip (1,500 miles) in 2 1/2 days. First days drive was slow due to the roads and weather so we rarely made more than 500 miles. The second day I would usually drive 700 to 800 miles and then have a shorter drive on day 3 allowing me to recover on that day and be ready to enjoy the next couple of weeks.

Years later we moved to Arizona and did pretty much the same, taking a summer break in Oregon. While not ideal, when working and taking a 3 week trip it was the best way to maximize the time in the destination.

For the long days its best to start early. That's why day 2 is usually my longest day. We typically overnight at truckstops when driving long distances therefore it is easy to start real early.

Ken

I apologize...My original post did have a typo of 800 miles.  Of course, 800 miles a day for three days with a drive from Miami to SugarLoaf Key would be greater than my total of 1,500 miles which was originally posted.   

I realize that I am asking extremely basic questions.  However, I have absolutely zero experience with RV's.  Therefore, I thought that I would ask you fulltimers who probably know most.  Definitely not looking to reinvent any wheels.

So, we are going to skip the tire covers.  Also, we are going to try the propane while driving and use electric once we hit the RV Parks en route to Florida.  Lastly, we are going to be there for (21) days...so reducing our food/alcohol costs is important.  Sure, we could buy all our food in Florida.  However, we need the money to travel to Yellowstone later in the summer.

Thanks again for your opinions and advice,

Nicholas

I discovered gasbuddy.com here
You will save significant money planning your fuel stops.
Go to the link in my signature, and checkout boondocker's welcome as well. Stay with some friendly folks on the way.

The name 'RV' should say it all.  Recreational stands for 'take your time' 'you're in no hurry' 'it's a holiday' !!! etc. etc.  That amount of miles even 400 or so per day is way, way too much.  Driving a rig really drains you and of course you can't or shouldn't be going as fast as you would in a car.  Slow down, take your time, and decrease your mileage per day.  We try to do NO MORE than 250 miles per day and that way we arrive relaxed and we can enjoy the trip which is what RVing is really all about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom