EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Questions for those with lots of experience...  (Read 12555 times)

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Questions for those with lots of experience...
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
OSHA regulations state that propane tanks are not allowed to be stored in any confined space. Propane is heavier than air and any suitable storage space must be vented to the outside air via a vent in the bottom of the compartment.

FastEagle

There are many OSHA regulations we cannot (and are not required to) comply with while living in a RV.

Quillback 424

• ---
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 09:22:15 PM »
I own an RV; every compartment and other space is vented to the outside.
Larry --  Olathe, Kansas
2012 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
2005 Trail Rated Jeep GC 4.7 L

"Only an insane society would restrict the liberties of healthy people based on the actions of the disturbed." 
John Hayward

FastEagle

• ---
    • Down the roads with us
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 01:05:43 AM »
There are many OSHA regulations we cannot (and are not required to) comply with while living in a RV.

Are you saying you know of an RV manufacturer that does not vent an installed propane system?

Why would anyone carry an extra propane supply and not insure it's vented?

FE
USN RET (PDRL)
DOD RET Journeyman Aircraft Mechanic
SSA RET
http://fasteaglervparking.blogspot.com/

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2013, 01:53:56 AM »
If you have a vented storage bay that is where it should go.

Quillback 424

• ---
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2013, 02:35:47 AM »
I carry an extra 20 pound propane tank and a half dozen one pound bottles in external compartments. Maybe what should be considered is would you plumb your stick and brick gas system with crummy flexible copper tubing with compression fitting and buck ninety-eight control valves? Or, how is your RV's internal gas distribution system vented?
Larry --  Olathe, Kansas
2012 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
2005 Trail Rated Jeep GC 4.7 L

"Only an insane society would restrict the liberties of healthy people based on the actions of the disturbed." 
John Hayward

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2013, 09:19:45 AM »
OHSA applies to employers. Not to "owner/operators" but to Employers. Unless you hire someone to drive your RV, and so long as you (And possibly the bank) are the owners. OHSA has no authority over you.

And no authority to inspect unless a specific complaint has been made in any case. (As it turns out).

Though most (All but one) of the storage compartments on my RV are SUPPOSED to seal, None actually do.. And what's more if there is a seal you can easily remove it on most RV's. (in fact too easily on mine) so as to vent that compartment.

I carry both 1 pounders and a 20 or 25 pounder (don't recall without looking)
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

FastEagle

• ---
    • Down the roads with us
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 12:57:31 PM »
We got some - including me - "what she said he said" comments. Here is what "they" say.

http://www.propanesafety.com/uploadedFiles/Safety/Propane_Emergencies/RV_safety%20brochure.pdf

FE
USN RET (PDRL)
DOD RET Journeyman Aircraft Mechanic
SSA RET
http://fasteaglervparking.blogspot.com/

skyking1

• ---
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2013, 03:06:55 PM »
That's a really helpful document, but it went sideways in the second paragraph.
"Travel trailers, folding camping trailers, and fifth-
wheel units use two movable DOT cylinders, which
are positioned vertically upright and mounted to the
outside front or back of the RV. "
I have never seen a 5th wheel with an outside mounted tank yet. Granted it is in a well ventilated cabinet, but it is in a cabinet in every case. Just a nitpick but I wonder who, if anyone proofreads anything these days.
Kelly and Mary

1996 Dodge CTD 2500 "Woody"
1991 Avion 29.5 ST
Washington State

http://boondockerswelcome.com/users/skyking

rumaco

• ---
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 12:20:32 PM »
Never begin by "those with a lot of experience", it is like a magnet for those that don't to give an opinion.  Notice how this question brought way too many answers?

driftless shifter

• ---
  • A Luddite with a stupid phone
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2014, 12:49:45 PM »
If you feel you must vent you could always use a couple "clamshell vent"(s). They're easy to find at boating stores. There are screens available to keep insects and critters out. I like the mini ones for covering exterior wall holes for antenna cable. Orient vent opening downward and a little aft to discourage rain and encourage ventilation on the road. Goober it with sealant for cable.
 I solved a water in fuel problem on my boat with one. Seems my tank vent wasn't high enough for some of the seas I would encounter. I put a mini one over my vent. Oriented at about 60 from straight down, facing aft. Problem solved, the seas just passed by.

Bill
Bill & Nan
(o\_!_/o)
93 bounder 34, chevy chassis
couple of aircooled vw's, 1 fast(sold), 1 reliable(sold).  Dubless : (
USN '76-'80, 1 boat, USS Blandy, DD 943.
I'm an analog guy in a digital age.

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 01:35:48 PM »
Greetings,

...Is it best to leave the meat in the freezer of the RV and run the generator every few hours?  Best to repackage the meat in the container it was shipped and add more dry ice?  Or use a traditional cooler with either dry ice?  If you have a suggestion, please be specific....

I would forget about the dry ice, if I were you.   Dry ice is solid CO2.  While not very toxic, the gassing out of enough in a confined space can be dangerous.   Read the Wikipedia article on dry ice  [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_ice ] and hypecarpia  [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercapnia ].    An RV is nothing if not a "confined space".
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

DonTom

• ---
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2014, 02:04:35 PM »
How important are tire covers?  Any suggestions?
I would like to answer that one based on my own experience, which, IMO, makes it perfectly clear. My RV has been mostly parked on the side of this house. Tires were the same age and same type on each side. One side of the RV sees sun most of the day, the other side is in the shade all the time. I had no tire covers on either side for many years. The tires facing the sun got some rather large cracks on the sides to the point that they needed to be replaced in less than the seven years. The tires in the shade were fine, not a single crack, not even a small one,  could be found and these shaded tires looked much better all the way around.

So for the last several years since I replaced the tires,  I have been putting tire covers ONLY on the tires facing the sun. No more cracks. That's all the evidence  I need to convince me that tire covers work quite well when the tires are facing the sun all day.

So if in doubt, use the tire covers. It cannot hurt.

-Don-  SSF, CA
-Don-   AA6GA

2000 Fleetwood Tioga 24D, 7.4L

Auburn, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV or  Reno, NV

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2014, 09:30:53 AM »
Wheel well covers are good (provide shade from the uv in sunshine). Tire covers can be bad since many result in poor air circulation and a higher temperature. Modern tires have additives to protect against uv. Higher temperatures accelerate the aging of the rubber substantially (rate of aging DOUBLES for each 16 deg. F increase in temperature).

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

Dan23

• ---
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2014, 10:49:02 AM »
Since the thread is over a year and a half old, I want to know how the OP did?

Was ten pounds of meat enough?

Does Florida really have grocery stores!?

Did he experience the dreaded explosion of propane bottles packed into the storage compartments? I hate it when that happens!

Did his tires rot in the Florida sun? I have my storage compartments stuffed full of tire protectors.

Not trying to give the OP a hard time... just really wondering what he learned on the trip and if he was successful... even if he said "this stinks like rotting meat" and gave up RVing altogether.
Slide-free 1998 Winnebago Brave 30'
2009 Kawasaki KLR toad on carrier
If needed, wife follows with 2010 Mazda 3 hatch or 1995 Miata

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2014, 12:56:26 PM »
We may never know the answers; The OP hasn't checked in since 9/2012.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Hosted by Over The Network