Questions for those with lots of experience...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm 70 years old, and often start a vacation with 1000+ miles in two days. I don't see any reason the OP should have a problem with it. There are indeed plenty of grocery stores in the Keys, but what there are not, is places to fill propane tanks. For some reason, several counties in southern Florida have such onerous regulations, that few want to bother with it. Couple of years ago, we ran out while in the Everglades. We called around all over, even down to the Keys. Ended up driving over 100 miles round trip to get a refill.

Lastly, we are going to be there for (21) days...so reducing our food/alcohol costs is important.  Sure, we could buy all our food in Florida.  However, we need the money to travel to Yellowstone later in the summer.

I was just joshing with you about grocery stores in Florida, but it seems obvious that somebody has convinced you that food is expensive there. While there are undoubtedly some items that will be more expensive than at home, there will also be items that are cheaper. We travel all over the USA and that has been the rule everywhere - there are local variations in individual items but not much difference overall. Alaska and Hawaii may be somewhat of an exception, but even then the difference isn't great.

Most of us have to watch expenses, but the major budget items to manage are fuel, campgrounds and entertainment. Food costs, assuming you dine-in rather than at restaurants, simply don't vary enough to make much, if any, difference. Campsite costs in the Keys are a particularly big expense, so shop around in advance and plan those carefully.

Alcohol prices in Florida are pretty good compared to many states, but if you are coming from New England a stop in New Hampshire can reduce your overall alcohol expense.

I doubt very seriously if you will need to refill your propane tanks on a 21 day trip.

What they said; but I sometimes travel 500 miles in a day and I'm pushing 70. It takes it out of you and the next day is resting. I did do 1,100 straight at one point last year (an emergency) and that'll really take it out of you. OTOH, it wasn't that big a problem when I was in my 20's.

Once you get to the Keys, $ for park rental overcome all other cost including gas.

Propane lasts for months unless you're running the furnace.

Wheel covers are not necessary.

Ernie

A lot of "newbies" don't seem to get it that driving a self-contained RV is work.  You can't just set the cruise control and relax for hours and miles on end.  It takes active, attentive driving all the way, even on the most elegant and efficient highways.  The biggest problem is that there are lots of people out there driving little cars and no matter how good the road, the RV, the tires, the suspension, and the driver are, those little cars will make you stand on the brakes in the strangest places!

Susan

I don't know of many days of relaxing driving out east like we get in the western plains, mountain states ans the west (except for the west coast). Out west the traffic is usually light and it is easy to maintain your distance while in the more populous areas cars are always pulling in front of you or on your bumper.

Our mileage is usually directly related to the amount of traffic we encounter.

Jeff said:
I don't know of many days of relaxing driving out east like we get in the western plains, mountain states ans the west (except for the west coast). Out west the traffic is usually light and it is easy to maintain your distance while in the more populous areas cars are always pulling in front of you or on your bumper.

Our mileage is usually directly related to the amount of traffic we encounter.

Soooooo True!  That's the main reason we rarely go east...(or to the left coast) and, certainly not east of the Miss River.  Phx had more than enough traffic for me! 

I don't know.. I usually keep right and 55-60 MPH which means I'm not passing too many folks (But often get passed).  and I do not, normally, find it all that stressful.

'cept when the blang GPS routs me down mountain roads,, Then the stress level .. Peaks.

I do try to avoid rush hours as well.

Rush hour:  That hour when traffic is so bad you'd make better time walking.

Everybody has their own pace; I just drive to where I want to stop and see something.  It might be 200, or it might be more like I drove big trucks for a living for 5 years, where it would be 600-700 miles per day, with several trailer swaps along the way.  My time in the Keys taught me to be prepared, but that locals down there are so laid back that you are going to have to adjust to life at a Mayberry pace.  Might as well start on the trip down.
  If anybody else is reading these exchanges for their educational value (as I am) I believe in firmly anchoring things like extra propane bottles with stout and robust hardware.  There is no 'overdoing' it when it comes to securing fuel tanks.  Ya'll be safe.

OSHA regulations state that propane tanks are not allowed to be stored in any confined space. Propane is heavier than air and any suitable storage space must be vented to the outside air via a vent in the bottom of the compartment.

FastEagle

I'm usually the long haul driver and always insist Honey takes pictures on the way. Most of what I remember is the road and the gas stations.

FastEagle said:
OSHA regulations state that propane tanks are not allowed to be stored in any confined space. Propane is heavier than air and any suitable storage space must be vented to the outside air via a vent in the bottom of the compartment.

FastEagle

There are many OSHA regulations we cannot (and are not required to) comply with while living in a RV.

Jeff said:
There are many OSHA regulations we cannot (and are not required to) comply with while living in a RV.

Are you saying you know of an RV manufacturer that does not vent an installed propane system?

Why would anyone carry an extra propane supply and not insure it's vented?

FE

If you have a vented storage bay that is where it should go.

I carry an extra 20 pound propane tank and a half dozen one pound bottles in external compartments. Maybe what should be considered is would you plumb your stick and brick gas system with crummy flexible copper tubing with compression fitting and buck ninety-eight control valves? Or, how is your RV's internal gas distribution system vented?

OHSA applies to employers. Not to "owner/operators" but to Employers. Unless you hire someone to drive your RV, and so long as you (And possibly the bank) are the owners. OHSA has no authority over you.

And no authority to inspect unless a specific complaint has been made in any case. (As it turns out).

Though most (All but one) of the storage compartments on my RV are SUPPOSED to seal, None actually do.. And what's more if there is a seal you can easily remove it on most RV's. (in fact too easily on mine) so as to vent that compartment.

I carry both 1 pounders and a 20 or 25 pounder (don't recall without looking)

That's a really helpful document, but it went sideways in the second paragraph.
"Travel trailers, folding camping trailers, and fifth-
wheel units use two movable DOT cylinders, which
are positioned vertically upright and mounted to the
outside front or back of the RV. "
I have never seen a 5th wheel with an outside mounted tank yet. Granted it is in a well ventilated cabinet, but it is in a cabinet in every case. Just a nitpick but I wonder who, if anyone proofreads anything these days.

Never begin by "those with a lot of experience", it is like a magnet for those that don't to give an opinion.  Notice how this question brought way too many answers?

If you feel you must vent you could always use a couple "clamshell vent"(s). They're easy to find at boating stores. There are screens available to keep insects and critters out. I like the mini ones for covering exterior wall holes for antenna cable. Orient vent opening downward and a little aft to discourage rain and encourage ventilation on the road. Goober it with sealant for cable.
I solved a water in fuel problem on my boat with one. Seems my tank vent wasn't high enough for some of the seas I would encounter. I put a mini one over my vent. Oriented at about 60? from straight down, facing aft. Problem solved, the seas just passed by.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom