Let's see pictures of your 4x4!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool mods to the Commander Bill, don't see too many of those built like that.

I'm getting ready to pull my JKUR into the shop to undergo major surgery, I'll be sure to post up pictures and video of the project.

Mike

The brakes on our 2016 JKU suck.  Recall reading that brakes are not great on the JKU.  Anyone do anything to improve the stopping power of your Jeep? 

How about something a tad more civilized, 2017 Jeep Cherokee Overland edition with ActiveDrive2

Attachments

• Cherokee.jpg
    Cherokee.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 26
garyb1st said:
The brakes on our 2016 JKU suck.  Recall reading that brakes are not great on the JKU.  Anyone do anything to improve the stopping power of your Jeep?

I've installed several of the Teraflex Big Brake kits for people and they have been happy with them as well as Dynatrac's brake system.  I'm running the Teraflex on my 2011 JKUR and my son is running the same Teraflex on his 2004 WJ in which he has JK Dana 44 axles under.  Both stop on a dime and greatly increase the confidence in stopping.  If you are on 35's they make a big difference and almost mandatory if on 37's.

zmotorsports said:
I've installed several of the Teraflex Big Brake kits for people and they have been happy with them as well as Dynatrac's brake system.  I'm running the Teraflex on my 2011 JKUR and my son is running the same Teraflex on his 2004 WJ in which he has JK Dana 44 axles under.  Both stop on a dime and greatly increase the confidence in stopping.  If you are on 35's they make a big difference and almost mandatory if on 37's.

Are you going to be in Quartzsite this year?  ;)

Herre's my 4x4... 1998 Kawasaki Mule 2510, 1400 hours (I figure that's about 14,000 miles), front lift kit to clear the Carlisle HD Trax tires, roof canopy, bed liner, oversized battery, roof top solar, front work basket, glove box, etc. Bought it new in '98, just installed a new carb on Monday.

Hard to believe that, just driving it around our 10 acres and the neighborhood the last twenty years we've put enough miles on to go back and forth across the country a couple of times.

Attachments

• Mule181226.jpg
    Mule181226.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 22
My latest project on our 2011 JKUR.  Removing the anemic 3.8 liter engine/42RLE transmission and replacing it with a 400+ HP 6.2 all aluminum GM LS engine and 6L80 transmission.

Looking forward to the upcoming year of wheeling with a few more ponies under the hood. ;D

Picture #1 shows about 4.5 hours into the project with the body separated from the frame.

Picture #2 shows the frame after the old 3.8 liter engine, transmission, transfer case, driveshafts and exhaust are removed.  Also the frame has been pressure washed at this point and is awaiting its new powertrain.

Picture #3 shows the old engine/trans removed sitting next to the 6L80 transmission, NP241J transfer case that I have modified to work and the new 6.2 liter L94 LS engine.

Picture #4 shows the new engine and transmission bolted into the chassis and ready to start laying out wiring.

At the point picture #4 was taken I am about 10-hours total into the project.

Mike

Attachments

• jeepls1.jpg
    jeepls1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 38
  • jeepls2.jpg
    jeepls2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 31
  • jeepls3.jpg
    jeepls3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 29
  • jeepls4.jpg
    jeepls4.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 34
Old_Crow said:
What are you using for a transfer case?  Will the stocker hold up to the LS?

I'm using a NP241J with an Advance Adapters input get to go from the small 23-spline Chrysler output to the larger 32-spline of the 6L80 trans.  I'm not a huge fan of the Atlas gear driven transfer cases for a daily driver.  I prefer the chain driven ones for low friction and quiet operation yet durable enough to handle the power output.

The NP241J will easily hold up to 500 HP and I know of several with more than that.  I'm not worried about any component in this combination or build.  I'm building it for longevity, durability and drivability so I think all of my i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

Mike

zmotorsports said:
I'm using a NP241J with an Advance Adapters input get to go from the small 23-spline Chrysler output to the larger 32-spline of the 6L80 trans.  I'm not a huge fan of the Atlas gear driven transfer cases for a daily driver.  I prefer the chain driven ones for low friction and quiet operation yet durable enough to handle the power output.

The NP241J will easily hold up to 500 HP and I know of several with more than that.  I'm not worried about any component in this combination or build.  I'm building it for longevity, durability and drivability so I think all of my i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

Mike

Mike, I sure hope you have better service from you 6L80 than I am having. The one in my 07 vette has been nothing but trouble for the last 20K miles. still shifts and goes but harsh 2-3 upshift and sometimes no downshift......good luck with you project..we put a 350 chevy on a TH350 into wifes YJ...makes a great grocery getter

Old_Crow said:
I figured you'd done your homework.  I'm guessing we won't see you with it in the Q this winter.

Don't think we'll make it to QZ this year.  I'll still be breaking in the new drivetrain and have a huge project at work that is nearing completion and really can't take any time off for a couple of months yet.

Mike

Looking forward to hitting the trails with many of you in my "new to me" Jeep.  Been wanting this for a long time!

Steve

Attachments

• jeep.jpg
    jeep.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 29
  • front jeep.jpg
    front jeep.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 28
Steve N Dee said:
Looking forward to hitting the trails with many of you in my "new to me" Jeep.  Been wanting this for a long time!

Steve
Jealous, looks fab!  Congratulations.

Looks nice Steve.  Happy for you and Dee, should provide many happy miles for the both of you.

Was it already setup for flat towing or did you have the towbar mounts, etc installed?

Mike

Mike:
  It has a Roadmaster base plate with receiver slots already installed.  I thought that was a big plus.  The crossbar I have from by Ford Edge isn't the same width.  It's like 2 inches wider.  I'm assuming I will have to buy a new crossbar at the proper width?  I looked at mine and it doesn't look like the width can be adjusted?  me did give me his towbar set up, but it's a Stowmaster and I don't like it as well as the Falcon All-Terrain model I have already.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve N Dee said:
Mike:
  It has a Roadmaster base plate with receiver slots already installed.  I thought that was a big plus.  The crossbar I have from by Ford Edge isn't the same width.  It's like 2 inches wider.  I'm assuming I will have to buy a new crossbar at the proper width?  I looked at mine and it doesn't look like the width can be adjusted?  me did give me his towbar set up, but it's a Stowmaster and I don't like it as well as the Falcon All-Terrain model I have already.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, you'll have to get the correct crossbar for your application as width will vary from vehicle to vehicle and mounting width to mounting width, unless you have an in with a competent fabricator.

I had the Stowmaster for a few years and think you will be better off with the Falcon.  Nothing wrong with the Stowmaster but on a Jeep especially if your planning on using it as intended, off-road, then it really messes with the approach angle.  I got tired of constantly removing and storing mine in the coach when we arrived at our destination so I bought the used Sterling about 15 or so years ago and last year sold it and replaced it with the new Nighthawk 8k pound towbar.

Mike

Steve, Roadmaster now has 2 styles of baseplates, one has the the cross support built in. That style does not require a cross bar and uses "hooks" that are ready to accept your Falcon's arms. Check with Roadmaster because it looks to me like your baseplate might not need a cross bar.

On my new Cherokee Trailhawk I opted for the version with a cross bar only because I wanted to use the Roadmaster Defender and it requires the cross bar. 

Not having the cross bar makes removal that much easier.

BTW, Nice looking Jeep!

Ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leblanc77
Back
Top Bottom