EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Let's see pictures of your 4x4!  (Read 97906 times)

Betty Brewer

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Let's see pictures of your 4x4!
« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2012, 11:48:18 AM »
Nice looking rigs.  Glad you got some of it back. 
Betty Brewer

see where we are

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2012, 08:40:14 AM »
Wow, I just found this section on the forum.  Great to see so many off-roaders who are also RVers.  I wish more members of our Jeep club had RVs to be able to travel with but we are the only ones so far.

My wife and I have had 4x4's our entire married life (23 years now) and she jokes with me that the truck I had in high school is what first drew her attention.  I don't think I care for that comment. :-\

I don't have any digital pictures of it but it is one that I wish I had back.  It was a 1984 Chevrolet shortbed that I had a 6" Rancho lift kit w/36" tires on it.  I bought it wrecked because I couldn't afford a ready to run truck being a poor high school student.  Unfortunately GM was putting those wimpy 305 cubic inch small block POS engines in their 1/2 ton trucks at the time.  As soon as I got it running and on the road and saw how anemic the powertrain was I started collecting parts for the buildup.  I immediately built up a 400 cid small block and backed it with a TH400 transmission.  I had also stuck a 14-bolt corporate full-floating rear axle under it and a Dana 44 big hubbed front axle out of an early 70's 3/4 ton GM truck.  I painted it Charcoal Gray with Black Sapphire Firemist insert down the sides. 

I ran the truck with this configuration for two years until I ran across a 396 cid big block that a buddy was selling after totalling his 72 Chevelle.  I snatched the motor and tore it down to have the machine work done on it.  I had it bored .030" over which took it to a 402 cubic inch engine and then started collecting parts for the swap from junkyards.  It required some major changes to cooling system, motor mounts and a few other odds and ends as I was going from a small block that the truck came with to a big block which was not available in 1/2 ton trucks.  Once I collected all of the parts and tried to have as many things ready as possible such as all brackets and parts bead blasted and painted and sitting ready to go.  I tore into it and borrowed my dad's truck for a few days to drive while I did the motor swap.  This was right after the wife and I got married, she was very understanding of my sickness.

We kept the truck for a couple more years until we found out we were having a baby.  At that time I started focusing on something with a little more room.  I found a wrecked 1991 GM 3/4 ton truck and grabbed the engine, wiring and computer out of it because I knew whatever I would build would have a big block Chevrolet in it and I had wanted to start playing with the newer fuel injected engines.  I tore the engine down and built it up with new hypereutectic pistons (.030" over), ported the heads, Crower Beast camshaft, Harland Sharpe roller rockers, Milidon oil sump/pan, Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers and many other performance parts.  Once the engine was built and sitting on a stand ready for a new home I set my sights on finding a truck.  I considered a full-size Blazer but I was really drawn to the beast of a Suburban and thought I would build a bada$$ Suburban.

I found a fairly well maintained 1986 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Suburban and started the build.  I thought I would focus on the mechanical aspects first and get it where I wanted it prior to working on paint & body.  I stripped the front end off of it and transplanted the new engine into it's home.  This was quite easy now as this was about the fourth GM truck that I had swapped in a big block in place of the small block.  I had all of the part numbers and parts needed written down from my first one.  I painted the front of the frame while I had the front clip off.  The engine went into the new truck without a hitch and ran great right from the start.

Next I built up the front axle with some new stub shafts, better hubs and brakes.  I then searched and found another 14-bolt corporate for the rear and swapped that in along with a disc brake conversion for the rear and Eaton TrueTracs both front and rear. 

About two years after starting the Suburban project I was happy with the foundation but the body needed serious attention.  I cut out and replaced the couple of spots where rust had gotten ahold and stripped the entire truck down to the bare shell for a new paint job.  The interior was in immaculate condition other than the two front seats were showing a little wear.  While I was doing the paint & body I had the two front seats re-upholstered and the guy did an awesome job matching it to the other seats.

The body came out flawless and looked great sporting a bright white paint job with some Cadillac silver along the bottom ( the silver was left over from the Cadillac STS buildup of my dad's a year prior).  My BIL had passed away a year prior and my sister gave me a bumper that he had in his garage for a winch.  I tore it down and had it chromed and found a used Warn 12k pound winch for the front.  I had also built some axle trusses for the axles.  My wife and I liked the Suburban and owned it for a total of 13 years.  We used it for my daily driver and our weekend wheeler as well as used it to tow our snowmobiles to the mountains 2-3 weekends a month during the winter and our sand toys to the dunes during the summer.

Here are a few pictures of our 1986 Suburban.

2003 Monaco Dynasty Baroness
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
FMCA# F315002

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2012, 08:48:44 AM »
Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to put more into the post after the pictures so I will just continue with another response.

While the Suburban was great, I had wanted a newer Duramax ever since they were released in 2001 but couldn't afford one.  We finally found a truck that would be a good starting point with fairly low miles on it in 2008 and purchased it and sold the Suburban.  The truck was not beat on but the previous owner obviously didn't know what a tailgate was for because I think he threw everything over the bedsides, and usually missed.  The bedsides were dented and dinged up pretty bad and a pretty good dent in the drivers' side door.

I installed an RCD 6" lift, 20" MotoMetal wheels wrapped with 36" BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires.  I also added a Banks turbo back Monster exhaust, "A" pillar gauges for boost and EGTs, billet grille, Curt 15k pound receiver hitch, Bilstein shocks, Fabtech tie-rods and Cognito steering upgrade.  I then focused my attention on the body.  I repaired all of the dents/dings and repainted it along with removing the black textured fender flares and replaced them with GM OEM smooth flares that I painted white and white/chrome door handles.  I then had the bed Rhino-lined.  I love the truck and it has been a great addition to our stable.

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished product.  The truck only has 80k on it and is an absolute joy to drive.

Mike.

2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
FMCA# F315002

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2012, 08:54:36 AM »
Our son has also gotten into 4x4's, real shocker I know, and he took over the wife's 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee when he got is driver's license about 5 years ago.  We added a 2" Rancho lift and a few other mods to it.  We used it to tow behind the coach as well as our off-road exploration vehicle for many years.  Three years ago I bought another one so we wouldn't have to use his Jeep when the wife and I wanted to take off for the weekend with the coach.  I wanted one of the newer JK Unlimited's but they were way out of our budget.  I ended up building another 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  The wife just shook her head when I brought it home.  It was the EXACT same year and color as our son's.  I added a 4" Teraflex lift kit with 31" BFG All-Terrains, Eaton TrueTracs front/rear, exhaust and wheeled if for nearly three years as well as towed it behind the coach.

Here is a picture of our son's and ours side by side.

Mike.

2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
FMCA# F315002

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2012, 09:03:49 AM »
Now to our current off-road/exploration rig.  It is a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) Rubicon.  I have built this into our dream Jeep and have done many, many mods to it.  I had never fully documented a build up before but I had some friends tell me that I should document the build. 

Here is a complete build thread on it.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/my-2011-jku-rubicon-build-project-143557.html

Here are a couple of pictures as it sits currently.

Mike.

Also attached is a picture of our son's new to him toy.  It is a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.  So far it has a 4" lift and 33" tires along with a Warn 8k pound winch and Expedition One front/rear bumpers.  We are going to re-gear it and a few more mods before our spring trip to Moab.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:07:12 AM by zmotorsports »
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
FMCA# F315002

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #95 on: October 29, 2012, 09:55:57 AM »
Awsome!
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

SVTotem

• ---
    • Retirement Ramblings
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2012, 11:34:54 PM »
Finally found an Unlimited Rubicon to call my own. The dealer is making a few corrections for me and I will drive to Fernandina Beach to pick it up Wednesday.

First things first. I need to get the AFO gear installed along with the brake light wiring. I hope to keep the existing bumper, but it may not be compatible with Blue Ox and may not leave room for an additional base plate. If not, my thoughts are to go with the LoD bumper with welded Blue Ox fittings.

Anyone recognize the bumper manufacturer? I have yet to find a logo or manufacturer name.

Bill Burgner
'13 Tiffin 36GH, 05 Wrangler LJ Rubicon, Aventa II & Air Force One
www.retirement-ramblings.blogspot.com

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2012, 08:02:03 AM »
Sharp looking.  Same color as my son's new to him LJ.

We just finished building a swing away tire carrier and changing a few things on the front and rear bumpers over the weekend and sending them off to the powder coater this morning.  I will post up some pictures of his finished Jeep when we get everything back and installed.

Mike.
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
FMCA# F315002

go6car

• ---
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2012, 08:44:15 AM »
Here's our new-to-us 2004 Jeep TJ! (Shown for the first time naked without its new Bestop and with its new shoes).

This is our first Jeep and we love it to pieces! We bravely '4x4' our way around town and the local campgrounds, LOL! :)
-------------------------------------
2016 American Coach Revolution 42T
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2012, 02:59:45 PM »
Here's our new-to-us 2004 Jeep TJ! (Shown for the first time naked without its new Bestop and with its new shoes).

This is our first Jeep and we love it to pieces! We bravely '4x4' our way around town and the local campgrounds, LOL! :)

Very nice.  Wheeling your way around town is a start. 

Remember, life begins where the pavement ends. ;D

Mike.
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
FMCA# F315002

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2012, 03:05:43 PM »
Nice looking go6car! I love the bronze color.  And it wont show dirt like the darker colors.......  Ask me how I know.....
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2012, 09:14:17 PM »
Anyone recognize the bumper manufacturer? I have yet to find a logo or manufacturer name.

Nope.  Come over to Rubicon Owner's Forum and ask there.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2012, 07:03:30 AM »

Looks like a Hi Rock bumper, division of Bestop.  They have that distinctive double or long shackle mount on their bumpers.  The lower holes are for adding rollers.

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier, I hadn't noticed it until John referenced it then I had to go back and look at it.  I will see if I can find some pictures and post one for reference.

Mike.
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
FMCA# F315002

go6car

• ---
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2012, 07:14:28 AM »
(Thanks Sarg  & ZMotorSports!)

It's a perfect match to the new motorhome (complete luck!).  I know it's also ridiculous that we have it "looking" like it could so easily offroad, while keeping it firmly on on the old pavement! :)

2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport

SVTotem

• ---
    • Retirement Ramblings
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2012, 10:59:43 AM »
Thanks Mike, I just came to the same conclusion this morning when I looked more closely at a picture in the 4WD catalog. Now I have to figure out if a Blue Ox or Currie baseplate will fit with this bumper. I called Bestop this morning and talked with them, but they have no idea about the specifics of the baseplates. Their bumper does extend a bit lower than the OEM bumper but I don't know if it would interfere.

Once I bring the jeep home tomorrow I can take some detailed measurements and then look for engineering drawings of the baseplates in hopes of figuring this out short of ordering a baseplate just to return it when it does not fit.

When the project is done I will post the outcome in the proper forum for the next guy.
Bill Burgner

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2012, 12:21:33 PM »
There are a couple of options for a towbar mount.  Warrior products makes an adapter to go from the "D" ring mounts to either Blue Ox or Roadmaster motorhome mounted towbars.  I don't have any pictures but I am sure you can get an idea of where to buy them if you google it.

I went a little different route as I absolutely hate the adapter plates for the towbars.  I hate the looks, I hate the way they standout from the rest of the bumper/Jeep and I hate the rattles incorporated with having the adapter plates being pinned to the attachment points.  I opted to fabricate a completely seperate mounting system which also incorporates a protection crossmember for my electronic swaybar disconnect actuator.  I set it back and below my Warn bumper so it would not interfere with my approach angles whatsoever and so far after one full season of wheeling I have not even touched it when climbing or descending a grade.

Granted this crossmember is on a JK but I am sure something similar could be designed/fabricated for the TJ/LJ.

Here is a link to another forum where I highlighted the crossmember fabrication.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25704761.cfm

Here is a link to my complete build thread for my Jeep which also shows the crossmember fabrication.
http://www.forbiddenjeeps.com/showthread.php/2677-Project-Dream-Jeep

Hope that helps somewhat give you an idea of what other options are out there other than just the towbar manufacturers adapters.

Mike.
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
FMCA# F315002

SVTotem

• ---
    • Retirement Ramblings
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2012, 06:27:12 PM »
Great job, Mike. I envy your skill set and shop.
Bill Burgner

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2012, 07:02:51 AM »
Great job, Mike. I envy your skill set and shop.

Thank you.  Nothing special, just years of practice.

Mike.
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
FMCA# F315002

hes4all

• ---
  • On the Holy Cross Trail
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2012, 04:50:27 PM »

Real nice TK. You know real Jeeps only have two doors? LOL
I have to say I do love the TJ's!
Terry and Janelle
Jeep Wrangler TJ
2 grand babies who will be Jeepers?
There's Life in the Red (read) Letters, Idaho

go6car

• ---
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2012, 08:04:59 AM »
Real nice TK. You know real Jeeps only have two doors? LOL
I have to say I do love the TJ's!

Thanks! We got very lucky with this one! We looked at a bunch and I was amazed with all the rust on a lot of them! This one likely was a street vehicle. No real rust, but we did have to get a dent repaired (and a new top, tires, etc.). Hopefully it will stay as clean as we have it now! :)
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport

navy80to04

• Lets keep the open roads free Leave nothing behind
    • My facebook page
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2013, 04:15:45 PM »
Just got it last week, traded in my boat. kind of tight getting it home, but it fits fine in the RV.
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq349/navy80to04/Camper/ClubCab4x4/BackOf4x4.jpg
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq349/navy80to04/Camper/ClubCab4x4/SideOf4x4.jpg
Climbed right into the back of the truck.
http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq349/navy80to04/Camper/ClubCab4x4/Truck4x4On.jpg

Edit by John - removed the [IMG] tags - can't imbed images in this forum
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:00:06 PM by John Canfield »
2010 Keystone Raptor 36' loaded, 2007.5 dodge 6.7 diesel 4x4 LB QC SRW all deleted Mini Maxx, 90 gal bed tank.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2013, 07:01:43 PM »
Wow - that's a tight fit!
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

SVTotem

• ---
    • Retirement Ramblings
« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2013, 09:31:11 AM »
Another year like this and you will be looking for a blade for it.
Bill Burgner

Y-Guy

• ---
  • Tri-Cities, WA
    • My Website
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2013, 10:53:56 PM »
Taking our 1st venture in the Wrangler ownership, we've had a Liberty which I love to hate (due to the uncomfortable seats).  I wanted to get out of my F150 and spotted a nice 2011 JKU Sahara with lower miles and the features I've become accustom to on my F150.  I don't plan on serious rock crawling or I'd gone with a Rubi, but since this will be my daily driver I wanted to try to find some balance and for the chance to get into things.

Already looking at a life and bigger tires, but decided we're selling our ATVs and the ATV trailer before I do any major mods.  My wife was a bit surprised I wanted to get it out on the beach and dunes during our spring break trip to Oregon.  I did have to check my man card the 1st try getting out on the dunes, the approach road was very soft sand and I just couldn't the momentum or into 4low, so we turned back.  Next day went out to the end of the jetty and crawled over the rocks, which had left many of the trucks and other 4x4's pulled over.  We then headed down the beach away from the crowds to enjoy time with the dogs.

Steve, Wife, 2 Boys, Golden Box of Rocks & Wire Fox Terrorist
2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
Toys in tow: 2 Polaris Sportsman's & 2 Honda Recon's or a Four Winns H-190 Boat

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2013, 10:08:04 AM »
For real soft sand it works better to air down to about 15 pounds in each tire. Then hit the sand in low range and high gear. Nice Jeep!
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Y-Guy

• ---
  • Tri-Cities, WA
    • My Website
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »
Thanks Sarge, I had them down to about 25, was apprehensive about going lower but probably should have.  Had my fun on the dunes with our ATVs, still wish I'd made it that trip.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2013, 12:45:03 PM »
... we've had a Liberty which I love to hate (due to the uncomfortable seats). ..
You too?  I can only take about an hour of seat time in the Liberty before my leg starts to hurt.  I much prefer my F-250 seats.

If you have the stock wheels on your JKU, you can probably air them down to 10-12 pounds, at least you can with the TJ Moab wheels.  Before I switched to beadlock wheels, I would routinely run my tires at 12-15 pounds on the trail.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2013, 03:45:16 PM »
I generally air down to 15 psi on trails, I have a friend who will go as low as 10 but I don't dare go any lower than 15.

Mike.
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
FMCA# F315002

Y-Guy

• ---
  • Tri-Cities, WA
    • My Website
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2013, 03:58:39 PM »
Thanks for the air pressure advice, I'll keep that in mind for future outings.  Need a better compressor, the one in the motorhome is to far once I come off the trails and the one for the ATVs is to slow.  Shopping time.

dhfinc

• Hunt Farm
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2013, 08:32:27 PM »
 Some pics of my Jeep.
08 Wrangler Rubicon
06 DSDP Newmar

Hosted by Over The Network