Let's see pictures of your 4x4!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Tom,
How do I make those little pictures that every one else does?

I think those parenthesis come when I click that little hyper link button on the far left side above

Thanks again, they're not in the order I thought but maybe I have it figured out for next time.

Au oh, I clicked on one and it is huge, I thought I already resized them. Did I do something else wrong?

Attachments

• DSCN0028.JPG
    DSCN0028.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN0134.JPG
    DSCN0134.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCN0139.JPG
    DSCN0139.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN0254.JPG
    DSCN0254.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 46
max49 said:
How do I make those little pictures that every one else does?

Use the Attachments option I mentioned in my last message.

The RV is a 1999 Discovery, the Jeep is a 2002 Wrangler with 3" lift and 33's, the pooch is a 2003 Yellow Lab.

Attachments

• 2012-07-28 08.33.54.jpg
    2012-07-28 08.33.54.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 2012-06-24 17.47.35.jpg
    2012-06-24 17.47.35.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 61
Here's a poser shot and one of Sassy the Corgi and yours truly we took yesterday at Silver Basin, San Juan mountains.  Never been to Silver Basin before, the trail is right off the start of Imogene.  We took every possible wrong turn and found three dead-end trails, but it was still great fun.  Silver basin was  nice, not as scenic as some others, but it was great to explore a new area.

Attachments

• JohnSassyRubiSilverBasin.jpg
    JohnSassyRubiSilverBasin.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 55
  • PoserSilverBasin.jpg
    PoserSilverBasin.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 52
I was driving down a local street a couple of years ago and managed to snap this picture of some lady getting her 4 wheelin' training... ;D

Attachments

• Car Poles.jpg
    Car Poles.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 68
Here is a picture of my Jeep Commander.  It has a lift, second gas tank where spare used to be, steel bumpers front and fear, internal locking storage compartment for winch on a cradle, and a gold miner on the hood.  I use it as an expedition vehicle with over 55 gallons of gas.  I either flat tow it with a blue ox towbar or it fits in the Stacker under the Mustang.  I am the fellow that had all the vehicles stolen and then after three months recovered them without any contents.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/003c-2.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/036.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/024-2.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/th_023-4.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/th_025-1.jpg

URLs fixed by staff.

Wow, I just found this section on the forum.  Great to see so many off-roaders who are also RVers.  I wish more members of our Jeep club had RVs to be able to travel with but we are the only ones so far.

My wife and I have had 4x4's our entire married life (23 years now) and she jokes with me that the truck I had in high school is what first drew her attention.  I don't think I care for that comment. :-\

I don't have any digital pictures of it but it is one that I wish I had back.  It was a 1984 Chevrolet shortbed that I had a 6" Rancho lift kit w/36" tires on it.  I bought it wrecked because I couldn't afford a ready to run truck being a poor high school student.  Unfortunately GM was putting those wimpy 305 cubic inch small block POS engines in their 1/2 ton trucks at the time.  As soon as I got it running and on the road and saw how anemic the powertrain was I started collecting parts for the buildup.  I immediately built up a 400 cid small block and backed it with a TH400 transmission.  I had also stuck a 14-bolt corporate full-floating rear axle under it and a Dana 44 big hubbed front axle out of an early 70's 3/4 ton GM truck.  I painted it Charcoal Gray with Black Sapphire Firemist insert down the sides. 

I ran the truck with this configuration for two years until I ran across a 396 cid big block that a buddy was selling after totalling his 72 Chevelle.  I snatched the motor and tore it down to have the machine work done on it.  I had it bored .030" over which took it to a 402 cubic inch engine and then started collecting parts for the swap from junkyards.  It required some major changes to cooling system, motor mounts and a few other odds and ends as I was going from a small block that the truck came with to a big block which was not available in 1/2 ton trucks.  Once I collected all of the parts and tried to have as many things ready as possible such as all brackets and parts bead blasted and painted and sitting ready to go.  I tore into it and borrowed my dad's truck for a few days to drive while I did the motor swap.  This was right after the wife and I got married, she was very understanding of my sickness.

We kept the truck for a couple more years until we found out we were having a baby.  At that time I started focusing on something with a little more room.  I found a wrecked 1991 GM 3/4 ton truck and grabbed the engine, wiring and computer out of it because I knew whatever I would build would have a big block Chevrolet in it and I had wanted to start playing with the newer fuel injected engines.  I tore the engine down and built it up with new hypereutectic pistons (.030" over), ported the heads, Crower Beast camshaft, Harland Sharpe roller rockers, Milidon oil sump/pan, Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers and many other performance parts.  Once the engine was built and sitting on a stand ready for a new home I set my sights on finding a truck.  I considered a full-size Blazer but I was really drawn to the beast of a Suburban and thought I would build a bada$$ Suburban.

I found a fairly well maintained 1986 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Suburban and started the build.  I thought I would focus on the mechanical aspects first and get it where I wanted it prior to working on paint & body.  I stripped the front end off of it and transplanted the new engine into it's home.  This was quite easy now as this was about the fourth GM truck that I had swapped in a big block in place of the small block.  I had all of the part numbers and parts needed written down from my first one.  I painted the front of the frame while I had the front clip off.  The engine went into the new truck without a hitch and ran great right from the start.

Next I built up the front axle with some new stub shafts, better hubs and brakes.  I then searched and found another 14-bolt corporate for the rear and swapped that in along with a disc brake conversion for the rear and Eaton TrueTracs both front and rear. 

About two years after starting the Suburban project I was happy with the foundation but the body needed serious attention.  I cut out and replaced the couple of spots where rust had gotten ahold and stripped the entire truck down to the bare shell for a new paint job.  The interior was in immaculate condition other than the two front seats were showing a little wear.  While I was doing the paint & body I had the two front seats re-upholstered and the guy did an awesome job matching it to the other seats.

The body came out flawless and looked great sporting a bright white paint job with some Cadillac silver along the bottom ( the silver was left over from the Cadillac STS buildup of my dad's a year prior).  My BIL had passed away a year prior and my sister gave me a bumper that he had in his garage for a winch.  I tore it down and had it chromed and found a used Warn 12k pound winch for the front.  I had also built some axle trusses for the axles.  My wife and I liked the Suburban and owned it for a total of 13 years.  We used it for my daily driver and our weekend wheeler as well as used it to tow our snowmobiles to the mountains 2-3 weekends a month during the winter and our sand toys to the dunes during the summer.

Here are a few pictures of our 1986 Suburban.

Attachments

• sub1.jpg
    sub1.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 47
  • sub2.jpg
    sub2.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 47
  • sub3.jpg
    sub3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 43
Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to put more into the post after the pictures so I will just continue with another response.

While the Suburban was great, I had wanted a newer Duramax ever since they were released in 2001 but couldn't afford one.  We finally found a truck that would be a good starting point with fairly low miles on it in 2008 and purchased it and sold the Suburban.  The truck was not beat on but the previous owner obviously didn't know what a tailgate was for because I think he threw everything over the bedsides, and usually missed.  The bedsides were dented and dinged up pretty bad and a pretty good dent in the drivers' side door.

I installed an RCD 6" lift, 20" MotoMetal wheels wrapped with 36" BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires.  I also added a Banks turbo back Monster exhaust, "A" pillar gauges for boost and EGTs, billet grille, Curt 15k pound receiver hitch, Bilstein shocks, Fabtech tie-rods and Cognito steering upgrade.  I then focused my attention on the body.  I repaired all of the dents/dings and repainted it along with removing the black textured fender flares and replaced them with GM OEM smooth flares that I painted white and white/chrome door handles.  I then had the bed Rhino-lined.  I love the truck and it has been a great addition to our stable.

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished product.  The truck only has 80k on it and is an absolute joy to drive.

Mike.

Attachments

• DMax1.jpg
    DMax1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 41
  • DMax2.jpg
    DMax2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 36
Our son has also gotten into 4x4's, real shocker I know, and he took over the wife's 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee when he got is driver's license about 5 years ago.  We added a 2" Rancho lift and a few other mods to it.  We used it to tow behind the coach as well as our off-road exploration vehicle for many years.  Three years ago I bought another one so we wouldn't have to use his Jeep when the wife and I wanted to take off for the weekend with the coach.  I wanted one of the newer JK Unlimited's but they were way out of our budget.  I ended up building another 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  The wife just shook her head when I brought it home.  It was the EXACT same year and color as our son's.  I added a 4" Teraflex lift kit with 31" BFG All-Terrains, Eaton TrueTracs front/rear, exhaust and wheeled if for nearly three years as well as towed it behind the coach.

Here is a picture of our son's and ours side by side.

Mike.

Attachments

• jeeps.jpg
    jeeps.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 62
Now to our current off-road/exploration rig.  It is a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) Rubicon.  I have built this into our dream Jeep and have done many, many mods to it.  I had never fully documented a build up before but I had some friends tell me that I should document the build. 

Here is a complete build thread on it.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/my-2011-jku-rubicon-build-project-143557.html

Here are a couple of pictures as it sits currently.

Mike.

Also attached is a picture of our son's new to him toy.  It is a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.  So far it has a 4" lift and 33" tires along with a Warn 8k pound winch and Expedition One front/rear bumpers.  We are going to re-gear it and a few more mods before our spring trip to Moab.

Attachments

• JK.jpg
    JK.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 75
  • JKU.jpg
    JKU.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 04lj.jpg
    04lj.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 67
Finally found an Unlimited Rubicon to call my own. The dealer is making a few corrections for me and I will drive to Fernandina Beach to pick it up Wednesday.

First things first. I need to get the AFO gear installed along with the brake light wiring. I hope to keep the existing bumper, but it may not be compatible with Blue Ox and may not leave room for an additional base plate. If not, my thoughts are to go with the LoD bumper with welded Blue Ox fittings.

Anyone recognize the bumper manufacturer? I have yet to find a logo or manufacturer name.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 73
Sharp looking.  Same color as my son's new to him LJ.

We just finished building a swing away tire carrier and changing a few things on the front and rear bumpers over the weekend and sending them off to the powder coater this morning.  I will post up some pictures of his finished Jeep when we get everything back and installed.

Mike.

Here's our new-to-us 2004 Jeep TJ! (Shown for the first time naked without its new Bestop and with its new shoes).

This is our first Jeep and we love it to pieces! We bravely '4x4' our way around town and the local campgrounds, LOL! :)

Attachments

• jeeptopost.jpg
    jeeptopost.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 58
go6car said:
Here's our new-to-us 2004 Jeep TJ! (Shown for the first time naked without its new Bestop and with its new shoes).

This is our first Jeep and we love it to pieces! We bravely '4x4' our way around town and the local campgrounds, LOL! :)

Very nice.  Wheeling your way around town is a start. 

Remember, life begins where the pavement ends. ;D

Mike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom