RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 12-19, 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArdraF

MOAB RV FORUM RALLY, MAY 12-19, 2013

Some of us have already signed up for a Moab rally NEXT year - 2013.  The dates are May 12-19, 2013 (7 nights, departing May 20th).  We can't get into Portal any earlier than the week of May 12th because the FMCA four-wheeling group has reserved the entire park for the previous week.  Portal RV Park has become very popular because it's full from Jeep Week at Easter (March 31st) until the week of May 12th!  If you even THINK you might want to come to our rally, sign up now.  If you decide six months from now that you cannot attend, it's easy to cancel, but it may not be as easy to get a site if you wait too long.  We'll do it the same way we did in previous years, e.g. as INDIVIDUAL reservations and not as a group reservation!

Each person needs to call Portal to make their own arrangements.  When we last spoke with Doug (the Portal owner) he hadn?t settled on 2013 prices but said they?d be very similar to 2012.  Portal's cancellation policy is that individuals can cancel up to 48 hours in advance of arrival without incurring charges for the entire time.  Group reservations cannot be cancelled without being charged.  It is for this reason that we are not set up with Portal as a group known as the RV Forum, so please don't say you are with the RV Forum ? just make your personal reservation.

The information you need is:
Portal RV Resort
1261 N. Hwy. 191
Moab, UT 84532
Phone: 435-259-6108
http://www.portalrvresort.com
Email: [email protected]

Please post in this discussion when you make a reservation or if you cancel or change sites so that we all will know who is attending and where to find you.  The first names on the 2013 Moab Rally Attendees List are:

Bertram (Christi & Kim aka Skyking4ar2, site M-16
Borowski (Janette aka Bunky & Chip aka Falconhunter), site M-14
Brewer (Betty & Terry), site 4
Ferguson (Coleen & Gary aka Taoshum), site 17
FitzGerald (Ardra & Jerry), site M-13
Kuch (Sheila & Ken), site M-15
Lawrence (Wendy & Mike & Gordon), site 41
Nesbitt (Mary Ann &  Don aka Gmsboss1), site M-33
Roscoe (Corinne & Bill aka Photog), site R-54
Sharp (Linda & Richard), site 8
Sherow (Debby & Randy), site M-32
Weimert (Barb & Frank), site 5
Weston (Diana & Marty aka SargeW), site R-45
White (Tara & Ernie), site M-31
Zueck (Chrystal, Mike aka ZMotorsports & Jared), site R-54

Go to  http://www.portalrvresort.com/w/site-map-res.pdf to see the resort's site map.  The M and R sections are the "new" section at the south end where each site has a cement pad and you have access to the swimming pool, hot tub, and dog park.  The numbered sites without an alpha prefix are in the "old" section at the north end where sites are gravel.  Please note there are a couple of site numbering changes, probably because of confusion in 2012 between similarly numbered sites in the old and new sections.  The following latitude and longitude for your GPS will turn you right into the property.  N38 35.367  W109 34.130  Elevation is at 3,926 feet.

Portal will not absolutely guarantee a site until the date gets closer because they sometimes have to move people around to fit everyone in.  This has always been their policy.  You can ask for a specific site by number when you make your reservation and it?s a good idea to follow through and check with Portal as the time gets closer.

Remember this is NOT a group event.  Everyone must make their reservation in their own name and do not mention the RV Forum.  The reason for this is that you as an individual can cancel up to 48 hours before your arrival and get a refund, but if you are in a group reservation with a group discount you cannot cancel and get a refund.

Should you want to see a previous discussion of the 2012 rally at Portal, the following link will take you to the relevant RV Forum thread:  Rallies, Shows, & Events > RV Forum Moab Rally, May 13-19, 2012 or go to http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=43162.0

Hope to see you at Moab in 2013!

ArdraF and JerryF

Ardra, Did you get the list from Portal? Because, that's not the site I reserved. If that's where they've got us, I'll have to give them a call.

Wendy

Wendy - Yes, I got it from Portal before we left.  I remember that 41 number being the confusing one.  I thought you decided to stay in the new part near the dog park, but that's the number they have so a call might be in order.

Jan - That would be great if you can time your trip for our Moab rally.  We've had other overseas travelers join us there and it's always a really different experience for them.  There simply is no where else that's like Moab.  The closest I've ever seen to it is Australia's Red Center, but they're so different there's no comparison - except for the red soil!  By the way, we've climbed Ayres Rock twice and flown over the Olgas.  I love the Alice Springs area!

ArdraF

My reservation email says M-18. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what's up. Maybe they'll have something closer to the dog park.

Wendy

Thanks ArdraF
I am glad you like Australia. Next time you visit you must look me up in Sydney.

I booked the site today and waiting for confirmation with site number.
Looks like I meet lot of new friends there.

Jan,

Glad you'll be able to join the Moab rally.  You will indeed meet lots of new friends.  It will be fun meeting you in person!

ArdraF

I got off the phone with Jan a few minutes ago, and started looking into attending.
I don't know of any other way to broach this but be direct. I noted the park has a policy regarding the age of RV's in the south section, the resort sites.
Class A 10 years or newer
5th Wheel 5 years or newer
Super C and B 5 years or newer
And the north section had this restriction:
Restrictions:  North side guests do not have access to South Side section. ( This is a restricted area.)
How are we going to get together is we are not all either one place or the other, without ruffling some feathers along the way? Are the group get togethers happening in  the camping section?
Or is the reality, nobody cares who wanders back and forth?  ;)

Easy, we meet at the Pavilion in the North section. People from the North section walk through the south section all the time. Really it just means that you can use the pool in the south section - no big deal. 

My booking confirmed:

Confirmation #:  R033366
Reservation made on:  Tue, Jul 24, 2012
Site:  RV 32

First Night:  Sun, May 12, 2013
Check In:  1:00 PM

Last Night:  Sat, May 18, 2013
Check Out:  12:00 PM (on Sun, May 19, 2013)

My name is Jan and my wife is Olga. We have Thor ACE 29.2
See you there next year. Hopefully Skyking1 can join also.
Cheers

I am happy to say we have booked our reservation for our first rally ever (and we've been RV'ing for 25 years)!  We booked site M34 for Moab rally for 5/13-5/19.  Unfortunately, we can't get there till Monday afternoon because of a Mother's day function on Sunday.  We will leave home Sunday afternon and drive to Vegas, spend the night and then drive to MOab on Monday.  They said it's about 7 hours from Vegas to Moab, which in no problem for me.  I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you there.  Since I'm a newbie when it comes to rallies, anything anyone wants to pass along would be great. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  A special thanks to Betty who helped me work this out!

Steve

Steve and Dee, it's good to hear you'll be joining us.  I just got my new computer and will be updating my list once it's all up and running.  Don't want all my "stuff" on Jerry's computer!  ;)

ArdraF

We're confirmed too!  This will also be our first Rally.  We're in R52. Thompson (Jerry & Cathy).
We plan on attending the Quartzite rally too.

Hi Ardra,

I wasn't thinking clearly when we made our reservations for the Moab rally. We had to cancel them today as we have to be back in Yellowstone in April! Will miss not being there but I hope we will see most of you during the winter in AZ. We still plan on being at QZ and Catalina.

Jerry - Glad you and Cathy will attend.  Will get around to modifying the attendees list when I finally get my new computer all organized.

Jim - Aw, shucks!  We'll miss you and Pat in Moab.  Jerry and I will look forward to the "next-best" of Quartzsite.  ;)

ArdraF

Jan,

Really sorry we will miss you. Would have been great to meet. If you can make it to southern AZ sometime this coming winter it might still be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom