RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 12-19, 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve N Dee said:
We don't have an offroad vehicle, but we do have a Honda Cr-V toad.  I am sure there is plenty to see by car in the  area and all of you will share your suggestions with us.

Steve,

Unless they have changed the CRV, you will be able to go on quite a few off road adventures. When I had a Grand Vitara, I led many rides to places like Chicken Corners and several of the arches. I can't do it any longer as we now have a GMC Terrain and the clearance is minimal. There are several members who have been on these rides and can tell you where to go.

Steve,

Jim is spot on.  We have done almost ALL the easy 4WD trails and half-a-dozen of the intermediate 4WD trails in a 2004 Acura MDX because it has 4-wheel lockers.  Your CRV will be able to do some too.

JerryF

Steve, after a bad experience in Quartzsite in 2010, we said that we would bunk in with others but under no circumstances would we take our Liberty on any trip when we went to Moab last year.  Well we showed up at the first Happy Hour on sunday, and guess what the firs order of business was a trip up Onion Creek, then up and over the LaSalle Mountains, and back to Moab, hell no we were going, but we got talked into it.  Not only was the scenery out of this world, the roads were all graded, there were no tough or dangerous sections, and we said thank you to those who convinced us to go.  Then, we went every day on lots of beautiful back road trails.  We had no problem getting around, other than the occasional traffic jam on some of the narrow roads.  We loved Long Canyon so much that we went twice, and if you decide to go, come down the canyon from Dead Horse State Park (link: http://www.discovermoab.com/stateparks.htm) it is about 15 miles down, but well worth the trip, we went up via Gemini Bridge, so the round trip, including a stop for lunch, and multiple stops for pictures, took about 3 to 4 hours.  The RAV4 will be OK as long as you don't try to hot dog off road.
    Maybe again next year.

Ed

We were told that for most of the month leading up to and including the forum rally we are in the resort area of Portal.  We have to move the week before to the campground area because nothing has opened up that week yet because the 4-wheeler FMCA rally hasn't had the cancellation we need yet.  We are heading for Portal this Saturday. If any of you get there early, please look us up.  They haven't told us our spot number yet.

Richard, be advised that Doug at Portal was none too happy when we cancelled our reservation. He even mentioned "having to talk to Jerry about cancelling this event".  If this was a group event, there would be NO cancellations, and all spaces would be paid in full, regardless.

What that means is that I would cancel ASAP to give Doug the chance to resell the site. I would hate to see you get stuck paying for a site that you did not get to use.

SargeW said:
Richard, be advised that Doug at Portal was none too happy when we cancelled our reservation.

Sarge,

That is why I am hoping that a Forum member can use our reservation and we do not have to cancel, just transfer from one person to another. That way Doug would not have to worry about re-renting our site. The reservation confirmation that we received last May clearly states, "We have a minimum 48 hour notice of cancellation on any reservation." Since in all the years that we have attended the Rally, Portal has been completely booked, I do not think Doug will have any trouble renting our site if we have to cancel one week before our scheduled arrival.

R

Richard,

I agree with you that your spot will be rented immediately once you cancel. It never ceases to amaze me that these campground owners complain loudly when someone drops a reservation only to find out there are many who are just waiting for such a situation to happen!!

We just spent a few days at Arch View RV Campground just north of Moab. It wasn't as fancy as Portal but I would stay there again. Perhaps the group should consider trying this park. As I said, it's not fancy but we had a good time and it was convenient to Moab. It's directly across from the road to Dead Horse Point.

SargeW said:
Richard, be advised that Doug at Portal was none too happy when we cancelled our reservation. He even mentioned "having to talk to Jerry about cancelling this event".  If this was a group event, there would be NO cancellations, and all spaces would be paid in full, regardless.

What that means is that I would cancel ASAP to give Doug the chance to resell the site. I would hate to see you get stuck paying for a site that you did not get to use.

Sarge, did bajarat (Gary) get with you and take your spot?  He sent me an email and it sounded like you guys just transferred the site but I just wanted to make sure he was confirmed a site.

Thanks.

Mike.

Portal has no reason to complain. Cancellations are picked up as quickly as they're made. Try calling today and they're probably full. Maybe if we all cancelled 48 hours out he'd have a gripe.

He even mentioned "having to talk to Jerry about cancelling this event".

Maybe Jerry will whisper in his ear and help him with a much-needed attitude adjustment.

No, I posted on the forum and waited a few days. When I didn't hear anything the DW called to cancel. When she first spoke to her, (a female at Portal) she was told that she could not cancel because we were a group. Diane was not sure of the particulars, so she did not argue. We were simply put on the "resale" list. What that meant was that if someone wanted our site, but not for the full 7 days that we had reserved, we would still be responsible for the balance of days of our original reservation.

She came and told me the results of the conversation, which inspired an "unhappy" response from me. I pulled up my original confirmation from Portal showing ME as the renter, not any group. When I called back is when I talked to Doug. That was when he informed me that they would have to stop hosting RV FORUM because of the cancellations, and that he would have to talk to Jerry about it.

I did not get nasty with him, but I was prepared to if necessary. I still have my original confirmation e-mail saved for reference. I don't know what prompted his response, maybe he had a rash of cancellations recently. IMHO that is the nature of the beast and part of the business.

I wanted to give the forum members a heads up just for that reason.

When I cancelled, I didn't call, I emailed. I used the email confirmation I had from Portal and simply "replied" to it saying that I had to cancel and asking for an email verifying the cancellation. I got a brief response saying that my reservation had been cancelled. I can't remember a year when there weren't at least 3 or 4 cancellations for the rally so I hardly think that we and Sarge qualify as a rash of cancellations.

Maybe it's time for another Hop-Skip-Jump?

Wendy

Wendy said:
When I cancelled, I didn't call, I emailed. I used the email confirmation I had from Portal and simply "replied" to it saying that I had to cancel and asking for an email verifying the cancellation. I got a brief response saying that my reservation had been cancelled. I can't remember a year when there weren't at least 3 or 4 cancellations for the rally so I hardly think that we and Sarge qualify as a rash of cancellations.

Maybe it's time for another Hop-Skip-Jump?

Wendy

Yes.  Or, at least another loc? 
We were treated just like Sarge two years ago.  Maybe email is the trick.  BTW, we just got an email from them a few days ago telling us that we were leaving on Wednesday.  We found the original email confirmation from May 2012 and sent it to 'em to "prove" that their recent email was wrong.  Sounds like they get kinda mixed up and difficult at times?

Since we are looking at heading to Utah next spring, and plan on doing Bryce, Monument Valley and Zion, a Hop Skip and Jump would be fun, as long as it isn't too early.  We have no interest in heading out there to freeze, or to travel in snow.  Our thoughts were to do Moab, then head down to do those Parks, but if you move to an April timing, we're out.

Ed

We are there!  We got in to Portal yesterday, only to find out they didn't have propane, so took a trip through town to the second Shell station, filled up, and came back to settle into our spot.  We will have to move twice. Apparently there have been no cancellations for the FMCA 4-wheeler rally.  We are now in M-19, which is a very nice and convenient spot.  We will be there for ten days, then spot 3 in the campground for ten days.  Finally, and for the rally, we will be in spot R-56 (subject to change, of course). We like the place, and our neighbors are friendly.  Too bad about the tension on cancellations.

Richard - I'm sorry to hear you and Linda won't be at Moab.  I hope the problem goes away quickly!
Bajarat - Did you get signed up?  I don't know your name(s) and site if assigned.

RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 12-19, 2013 ATTENDEES BY NAME

Belikoff (Kathy & Larry aka DakotaRed), site R-56
Bertram (Christi & Kim aka Skyking4ar2), site M-16
Borowski (Janette aka Bunky & Chip aka Falconhunter, site M-14
Brewer (Betty & Terry), site 4
Burdick (Mikie aka 4ducksrus & Jim), site ?
Dodd (Loretta & Larry aka THE-BigLarry), site R-48
Falchini (Dee & Steve aka Steve N Dee), site M-34
Ferguson (Coleen & Gary aka Taoshum), site 17
FitzGerald (Ardra & Jerry), site M-13
Kuch (Sheila & Ken), site M-15
Marabito (Shirley & Ron), site ?
Nesbitt (Mary Ann & Don aka Gmsboss1), site M-33
Perez (Virgie & Fred aka fperez7802), site ?
Pestes (Patricia & Dale aka NJNDale), site M-27
Roscoe (Corinne & Bill aka Photog), site R-53
Sherow (Debby & Randy), site M-32
Stiskala (Olga & Jan), site R-32
Stock (Linda & Dan & Sherlock), site ?
Weimert (Barb & Frank), site 5
White (Tara & Ernie), site M-31
Wishard (Margaret & Henry), site R-48
Zueck (Chrystal, Mike aka ZMotorsports & Jared), site R-54

Thank you Betty.  I don't know why, but I read right past that post.  Too many distractions!

ArdraF

Hi guys.
Is anybody from people attending tis rally from Colorado? I would not mind to get some hints what to see there. We are planning to travel Colorado for next 2 months after Moab rally.

Jan Stiskala said:
Hi guys.
Is anybody from people attending tis rally from Colorado? I would not mind to get some hints what to see there. We are planning to travel Colorado for next 2 months after Moab rally.

We are not from Colorado but I would highly recommend the area from Cortez, Durango and up and over to Silverton and Ouray.  Then if you have enough time around Montrose and Gunnison area.  The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is kind of cool to see.

Ouray and Silverton may be a little cool and snow covered until mid-late June though.  We generally stay in Ouray for a week in August and it is still a little cool at times.

Mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom