RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 12-19, 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the suggestion Ardra.  I know it will be a long day, but I should be fine as it's only one day and driving comes very easy to me.  I know if I get tired I will stop.  Betty, thank for the welcome information.  You are the one that originally convinced me to go even though we can't make Sunday.  I'm looking forward to thanking you in person, as now I'm so excited I can't wait to go.

Steve

Hi!

We started for Moab this morning (from just N of Dallas) in 75 degree, sunny weather; just arrived in Amarillo after fighting 30+ mph winds the last 150 mi. to a forecast of freezing weather, snow tonight, and 40 mph headwinds for the trip to the American RV park tomorrow.
Please tell me its going to be nice in Moab (lying as necessary is authorized).  ;D

Ernie

We just drove home from Chinle and Kayenta and the wind was blowing a ton and the sky was dirty. But hopefully it will finish up tonight and tomorrow will be a spectacular Four Corners day.

Wendy
Cortez, Colorado

Just question guys.
If we like to have quick peek on grand Canyon on our drive from Vegas to Moab. What would be best solution? I understand that Canyon is enormous, but we have 3 days to spare and would like to have walk on the rim. Do you think that this will be possible to do on the way to Moab with not to much detour?
I am planning raft trip next year to see Canyon properly, but that is another year in future.

Sorry if this question is silly, I have no idea. This was not planned and just cross my mind today.

Well Debby and I, too, are in Las Vegas and will be heading to Moab a week from Saturday. Since unlike Ken who stops every 4 hours for 15 minutes, I don't like to drive so far at one stretch. So I stop for 4 hours after every 15 grueling minutes of driving. It may take me a little bit longer to get to my intended destination, but I'm really refreshed when I get there. It'll take us parts of two days to make the trip. We'll either stop around Beaver or Richfield for the night. It'll depend on what time we leave LV, how bad the wind might be and how many 15 minutes segments of driving I feel like doing on Saturday.

Jan and Steve, where are you folks staying in LV?

Randy

Randy:
  I won't be much help.  Our son lives in Vegas.  We are going to spend Sunday night parked in front of his house and then leave Monday morning for Moab.

Steve

That's a nice park. We stayed there several years ago when we were here for an AARP convention. I'm sure that you'll enjoy your stay. We're at the Thousand Trails park on Boulder Highway between Arizona Charlie's and Boulder Station.

AZ Randy1 said:
That's a nice park. We stayed there several years ago when we were here for an AARP convention. I'm sure that you'll enjoy your stay. We're at the Thousand Trails park on Boulder Highway between Arizona Charlie's and Boulder Station.
That is south from us. I was thinking to stay there originally.

AZ Randy1 said:
Well Debby and I, too, are in Las Vegas and will be heading to Moab a week from Saturday. Since unlike Ken who stops every 4 hours for 15 minutes, I don't like to drive so far at one stretch. So I stop for 4 hours after every 15 grueling minutes of driving. It may take me a little bit longer to get to my intended destination, but I'm really refreshed when I get there. It'll take us parts of two days to make the trip. We'll either stop around Beaver or Richfield for the night. It'll depend on what time we leave LV, how bad the wind might be and how many 15 minutes segments of driving I feel like doing on Saturday.

Jan and Steve, where are you folks staying in LV?

Randy

Hey Randy, how are you guys?  We are looking forward to seeing you and Debby again.

If you happen to stop @ the Richfield KOA for the night, tell Ray and Lora hello from us.  We will see them on Memorial Weekend but they are great people and boy have they done some nice upgrades to that park since they purchased it.

Mike.

Jan Stiskala said:
Just question guys.
If we like to have quick peek on grand Canyon on our drive from Vegas to Moab. What would be best solution? I understand that Canyon is enormous, but we have 3 days to spare and would like to have walk on the rim. Do you think that this will be possible to do on the way to Moab with not to much detour?
I am planning raft trip next year to see Canyon properly, but that is another year in future.

Sorry if this question is silly, I have no idea. This was not planned and just cross my mind today.

Jan-
I don't think anyone has answered your question yet.  I'm not part of the Moab rally, but I think I can answer your question.  No, it would not be too much of a detour to stop at the Grand Canyon on a drive from LV to Moab.

Drive SE out of Las Vegas across Boulder Dam to Kingman, AZ.  Then pick up I-40 to Williams and go north to the south rim of the Grand Canyon.  An easy day's drive.  Even though you say only want to take a walk on the rim, I would plan to at least spend the night there, spend the next day and night, and leave the following morning.  Then depending on how much time you have before you want to arrive in Moab, you can either drive all the way to Moab the next day or stop for the night along the way, say at Monument Valley or Goosenecks State Park.

I would also consider, in addition to just walking along the rim, taking at least a short hike down into the canyon if you are physically able.  Just go a little ways down either the South Kaibab Trail or the Bright Angel Trail and turn around when you feel like you've had enough.

Others would know more about your campground options, as I have not visited the GC since I got an RV.  Trailer Village inside the park is an option, and may or may not have availability.  I believe there is at least one commercial campground just outside the park that may not be all that nice but is at least a place to stay.

Have fun!  Wish I could be there for the Rally.

Just go a little ways down either the South Kaibab Trail or the Bright Angel Trail and turn around when you feel like you've had enough.

Actually, I'd turn around before having enough, since it's rougher going back uphill, especially at that altitude. But a hike like that can add a great experience.

Larry, you're absolutely right and I thought about that while I was writing the post and then forgot to put it in. 

As an aside, the day we hiked the South Kaibab Trail, we had the three young kids with us and the youngest was probably seven at the time.  There was about a 30 knot wind out of the west and as we exited the sheltered bowl area to walk out to Ooh Aah Point, we met some hikers coming the other way who warned us that if we walked all the way out to the point we had better hold onto the kid's hands because they could literally get blown off the trail.  As it turned out, the dust was getting into the DW's contacts so we turned around anyway. 

Our short hikes down into the canyon are what we remember most about the trip and left us wanting to go back for a longer stay.

The commercial park near Grand Canyon is Grand Canyon Camper Village in Tusayan.  It's about 1/4 mile outside the park gate and about 7 miles from the South Rim.  Friendly management but nothing fancy, but then neither is Trailer Village inside the park.

If you do stay in Tusayan, you'll have to wait in line with everyone else to buy your entry pass the first time.  But after that you can use the express lane to the left of the gate building and bypass the lines.

Thank you so much for your reply.
I will do exactly as you suggested. Will drive to Tusayan, stay in the park outside of park and have walk along the rim and short hike down.
regarding entry to park, I have still valid annual pas to the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands.
I think that this pass should work there. Hopefully.
Thank you for trip instruction and suggestions. Really appreciated.

See you in Moab. ;D

jagnweiner said:
Have fun!  Wish I could be there for the Rally.

I will do my best to enjoy the Grand Canyon. Thank You for your trip instructions, I will do exactly  as you suggested.
Thanks

Tomorrow I leave for Moab.  I'm really looking forward to seeing all the great folks again.  It's too bad a few of them won't make it this year.  8)

Jan, I was going to tell you the same thing as Scott.  Las Vegas to Grand Canyon through Monument Valley to Moab.  Monument Valley is really a neat place and different from anything else you've ever seen!  You'll enjoy driving through it.  This is a Navajo Park so you can't get out and wander all over the place but there is a 17-mile drive that is interesting, however it was a really rough road the last time we were there.  They also have Navajo-led tours which are how you get off the main track.

There's one additional comment.  Scott said "across Boulder Dam".  The old name is Boulder Dam which today we call Hoover Dam and that's what the signs will say.  The important thing is you can no longer drive across Hoover Dam to get to Arizona because there's a new bypass bridge.  If you actually want to stop and see the dam (highly recommended) you have to get off the highway at the well marked exit before the dam.  You won't be able to park the RV on the Nevada side because it's a low parking structure but you can drive across the dam to several large viewpoints before turning around and returning across the dam to get back on the highway.  By the way, as you drive near the dam you'll notice a big white "bathtub ring" along the water edge in the rock.  The white is from calcium in the water and it shows vividly how far down lake is because of the drought.  The ring is more than 100 feet from the water to the top of the cliff!

On the Arizona side, route 93 from Wickieup to Wickenburg is called the Joshua Tree Parkway and it's a scenic route.

See you in Moab!
ArdraF

Shirley and I are looking forward to Moab again.  It has been a few years since we last attended.  I am a photographer that enjoys showing my work.  How do you all feel about my doing a slide show presentation one night, complete with sound?  I have a show that I put together recently showing a wide variety of images in my portfolio.  This show is 15.5 minutes long and has been shown to another RV group where it was received very well.

Please respond one way or the other.  I won't lug the equipment if you prefer not to participate.

R.E. (Ron) Marabito

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom