RV FORUM MOAB RALLY, MAY 12-19, 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ron landscape is similar, just our outback have red red red colour and not much green most of the time.
That is good that there are Jeeps available there for rent. Thanks for the info.

My recollection is that the AU outback is much different from Moab (talking Coober Pedy and the mail run from there) I've  never seen anything like Moab or the outback; two different beasts. Incidentally, there is no underground bar in Moab!

Ernie

How do you get a site # in Moab. I made reservations in Oct. and thought I had Site R-48. After several e-mail & phone calls I am still unable to get a confirmed site #, I talked to Jane yesterday and I was told they didn't issue site #'s, that all they would confirm is I had a pull through site. What is going on? I don,t want to drive 1300 miles to find out  I am sleeping in an alley.

Technically there is no site assignments. People need to have a site number, so they give you out to make campers happy. Actually when you make a resv. that guarantees you a site

Doug and Jane have bent over backwards in the past trying to accommodate all of us. And I think they have been very generous. How many campgrounds have your been to, where you get a free dinner?

One just can't please all the people all the time.

I am not unhappy just confused. When I look at the forum and most everyone has a site #. I start to worry a little. I talked to Jane yesterday and she explained that to me . Technically no one has firm site #. I'll stop crying now. See you guys in Moab.

Hi Ardra,
We are going to try and make it this year!  I just got off the phone with Portal and made my reservations.  All Brittany would tell me was that I have a full hook up pull through site!  She said they have a "new" policy and they don't give out site numbers anymore.  So...I'm somewhere!  Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Mikie

Not to worry about site  numbers for Portal.  It has been their policy for YEARS to  only reserve you a site and not a specific one.  Some of us have favorite sites and make the request when we  make a reservation but Portal has the final say based on accommodating as many as possible.  It is their business and they knock themselves out to please but as we all know  flexibility will result in fewer stresses for the day.  Life is an adventure!

It has also been my experience that the cancellation rate for unforeseen changed plans at Moab, (this far into the future) leads us  into many changes. 

Welcome aboard Henry and  Mikie!

Henry Wishard said:
Betty, are you issuing site #'s at Quartzsite? Just kidding see you guys there also.

Hmmmmmmmm don't give me any ideas or I just may  do that.  However I fear  a revolution may occur!  Look forward to meeting you!

When did they start not issueing site #'s.  They have always given us a site number when we made the reservations and for the past four or five years they have been accurate when we show up.  When we made the reservations last year we requested R-48 which they told me they could not because it is an "owned" site and the owner may be there for that particular weekend but when I asked about one of the other longer ones in that row they said R-54 would be good because it is not owned and she could guarantee it for us.

When I called back around Thanksgiving time to confirm Brittany told me that we were still in site R-54.  I asked about the chances of them "having" to move us and she told me that she didn't see that as an issue.  I explained that there are only a few sites that we fit in being 72 feet long and she said no problem.

Mike.

Thank you, Barb, Betty, and Mike, for answering the question.  Haven't had my computer turned on for two days!  :(

Anyway, yes most of us request specific sites and Portal does its best to accommodate us, but in the end their policy is (and always has been) not to assign specific sites.  They need to have some flexibility to put people where they will fit or meet other needs.  When you make a reservation and ask for a site we use that in our list, but it's not written in cement.  It's just an idea of who you might be parked next to or across from, but it's always subject to change by Portal.  When people make reservations a year in advance like we do, there are bound to be cancellations and site changes.

Mikie - I'm so pleased you and Jim will be able to attend.  It's always fun to meet the people we correspond with.  We'll look forward to seeing you in May.

ArdraF

zmotorsports said:
When did they start not issueing site #'s.
Mike,
We too, have always had a site assigned when making the reservation but if  I read the fine print carefully enough, I see that  on the email confirmation we get, it states we are reserved a site  not a specific one.  That being said we have always gotten the site we wanted.  Maybe it is not a popular one.  But it feels like home to us!

Not to worry.

we have never attended your rally and I have a few questions.  Could you tell me who is running this rally so I can contact them.  Thank you,  Diana

Although every Rally has a slew of volunteers that co-ordinate certain details to ensure the Rally does take place, and for this Rally, Ardra does yeoman's service.  You will find most of our rallies are not run by anyone, there is a great deal of flexibility in every day's events, and we found this rally offered the most flexibility than any of the others we have attended.  Largely that is because there is just so much to see and do in the Moab area. 
    Every evening at 4 PM we gather at the podium, Ardra had suggestions for what seemed to be a few activities for the next day.  Then people would say which group they would join.  However, she also asked if there were any who were going to do something else, and often, a third or fourth activity would spring up.
    We showed up last spring adamant that we were not going to go 4wheeling have had a poor experience at the Quartzsite Rally in 2010.  Well we were convinced to try a ride on Day 1, and we found the experience to be outstanding.  The roads were exceptionally well maintained and our Liberty had no difficulty keeping up.  The group are very knowledgeable about all the various tails and hikes, and they quickly were able to advise which to enjoy or which to avoid.
    We rate our 2012 Moab Rally to be the best rally we have ever attended, and we say it is the one rally that every forum member must attend at least once, but like the potato chip add used to say, bet you can't eat just one, we are now hooked and will go back.

Ed

Aye Ed, it took us 10 years or so to be able to attend our first one, due to work and other commitments. We've attended several and enjoyed every one.

A look back at prior rally reports on this Rallies, shows and events board will give folks some flavor of what to expect and the wide variety of activities/options you mentioned.

Dutch and Di said:
we have never attended your rally and I have a few questions.  Could you tell me who is running this rally so I can contact them.  Thank you,  Diana

You can ask away in this thread with any questions you have. You'll get plenty of answers, including some from hostess Ardra :)

Wendy

We finally arrived at Indio and are organized so my computer is now up and running.  Thanks to the others for replying.

Diana, we don't really "run" rallies like the big organizations.  It's more or less like "I'm going to be at such-and-such a place on this date and if anyone wants to join me, please feel free to come.'  So I'm more like the non-hostess at a non-event that will take place on May 12-19 in Moab.  If you want to come, you make your reservations with Portal (see the original post starting this topic for details) and arrive.  We do ask that you let us know in this topic if you make a reservation so we know to look for you.  Otheriwse we won't know if you're with the RV Forum or someone else.

Every year at Moab is different because events such as hiking and four-wheeling are very weather-dependent.  We don't go four-wheeling if we awaken on the planned day and it looks like it's raining in places that make water runoff into arroyos or washes too dangerous to be there.  Likewise, we generally don't go hiking in the rain because we don't really want to get soaked.  And sometimes no one wants to do what was planned the day before and comes up with something entirely different and we do that instead.  Other times we're full of ideas and everyone wants to do everything.

Happy hour is when we discuss who did what that day and what we're going to do the next day.  We generally have a potluck dinner on the last day, sometimes we have a girls' shopping day, and we generally have a beginning easy hike that everyone can enjoy and be introduced to the wonder that is Arches National Park.  Come prepared to enjoy a unique environment and to meet a great group of people.

ArdraF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom