For 2007 and newer Jeep JK owners- Shift linkage problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SargeW

Site Team
I made the following write up to the benefit of any JK owners that have, or may get stuck with their Jeep where the transfer case shift lever seems to come disconnected from the transfer case, and either leaves you stuck in, out, or between gears and no way to move your Jeep.  It's a little long, but it's worth knowing. 

There is an inherent weakness in the transfer case shift cable used by Jeep. The shift cable that runs from the 4 wheel drive selector in the console to the transfer shift case has a plastic bushing that secures the cable to the shift point. This plastic bushing can and will fail without warning, and usually at the most inopportune times. The cable itself is fine, heavy steel cable with an attached machined steel fitting on each end.

Inside the fitting a plastic bushing serves as the spacer to allow the steel fitting to rotate freely on the shaft on the shifter in the console, or the shaft on the transfer case lever, and as a pinch nut to secure the cable onto the shaft as well. When the bushing fails the cable will pop off of the shaft preventing you from shifting into, or out of 2WD, 4WD, or neutral. This can be a real problem if you are towing the Jeep 4 down, are about to tow the Jeep 4 down, or just want to shift into or out of one of the Jeeps low ranges.

The bushing has failed on me three times now since it was new in 2008. The first time it failed I had about 10K miles on the Jeep and was in Alabama. We were not able to shift the transfer case into Neutral to tow it so we drove it to a nearby Jeep dealer who replaced the bushing in the console. That took about 6 hours of sitting around waiting. We were not really informed as to the problem at the time, and were just happy to get back on the road. BTW, the bushing costs about .38 cents to buy.

This time it let go we were leaving El Capitan State Beach in Ca on a Friday morning. I hooked up the Jeep to tow behind the motor home and got in and tried to move the shifter into neutral. No luck, just a sloppy shift handle. I knew right away what it was. This time there was no dealer close, and we were do at the next campground about 200 miles north that afternoon. And there was no way I would get an appointment at a Jeep dealer the same day on a Friday on a holiday weekend.

I looked around on a few Jeep web sites and came up with a plan. I was better prepared this time to handle the short term repair. First I slid under the Jeep with a large pair of channel lock pliers and moved the transfer shift lever into neutral. We were able to tow to the next place as planned. Moving it back at the next campground was a little more challenging but doable.

Now the fix. The only place close was a Home Depot. I knew I was going to have to take the console apart and get to the shifter linkage. That in itself was a little daunting since I didn't do it before. But it wasn't as bad as I had imagined.

After getting the console off, I discovered that it was a two part problem. First the linkage had popped off of the "cable keeper" about six inches in front of the bushing. Second the shifter bushing was cracked and falling apart as well. Both would have to be taken care of to put the Jeep back in service. The biggest issue was going to be the shifter bushing. Replacing the plastic bushing with another one was not an option. It is obviously a poorly engineered part. (My research into this problem revealed chronic failure of this bushing, some after as little as 100 miles.)

After much searching at Home Depot, I finally came up with a brass bushing that was actually part of a Watts water line fitting. The diameter was close and I just needed to shorten the length of the bushing. I used a small pipe tubing cutter to cut it down to size. I did squeeze the end of the brass bushing a bit with the tubing cutter. I had to flare it back out a touch by pressing a pair of needle nose pliers in the end and turning the bushing as I pressed. To hold it on the shifter hitch lever, I went with a stainless hitch pin.

With a new bushing and a hitch pin to hold it in place the shifter now worked as designed. To keep the shift keeper on the cable in the correct location, a few zip ties will keep it from moving around. In my research I learned that the failure rate of the bushing was really common, and which end of the cable would fail is a toss up. Unfortunately you usually don't know that the bushing has failed until you attempt to move the shift lever. Often the shifter will select the appropriate gear range, and it's not until you try to move it back that you find out that you are stuck in what ever range you had previously selected.

Some folks had to get towed to a dealer for repair, and some were able to drive it there. As of this date, Chrysler has no plans to produce a modified bushing. There is an after market company that makes and sells a replacement shift cable with different ends, but it sells for about $200.

I was able to source a different bushing at a Lowes store today that looks like it will fit the bill without having to cut it down. The hitch pin is still the recommended method of holding cable onto the shift pin. It is the last pic.

A while after this fix, the transfer case failed on me and I had to repair that one in a similar fashion.  Then in Moab this year while attending the RV Forum rally, the cable keeper I referred to at the begging of this post, failed as well.  That required another removal of the console and another made up fix for this poorly designed part.  I have attached some pics of the process I went through. 

I am happy to answer any questions about it, and hopefully you will never have the issue on your Jeep.  But in reviewing a few Jeep forums I frequent, this issue comes up A LOT.  Just a heads up.............

Happy Wheelin'.....

Attachments

• 0501011026as.jpg
    0501011026as.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 0501011026s.jpg
    0501011026s.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 0501011025s.jpg
    0501011025s.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 0501011054as.jpg
    0501011054as.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Screw clamp fix.jpg
    Screw clamp fix.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 98
  • The broken retainer ring.jpg
    The broken retainer ring.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 102
Funny you should mention that - at our Alamo Winnies rally last weekend I was talking Jeeps to a JK owner and he went into detail about that exact problem.

Good write up - thanks Marty!

Yeah Mark, unfortunately it's the same for either trans. One guy on a Jeep forum got so mad he wrote a certified letter to Jeep Customer Service. Long story short he got a very nice letter back that said, "thanks, but there is no problem that we know of." 

Figures. And the part that stinks is that I have a lifetime power train warranty on the Jeep. If I take it in an get repaired, all they will do is put the same crappy bushing back in the cable ends, which will fail and strand me again, who knows where. 

And some good advice from a good friend who is a long time Dodge Diesel mechanic at a dealer in So Cal, don't put the aftermarket cable on in place of the factory one. If anything ever happened to the trans or transfer case, it would be an instant denial of warranty.  Great.

It's definitely the same for a 2012. Mine had to have the entire cable replaced with no miles on the txfr case (the first time I went to shift it).
TYhere were people at the FMCA 4-wheeler rally who carried spare bushings in their pocket!
Ernie

SargeW said:
...And some good advice from a good friend who is a long time Dodge Diesel mechanic at a dealer in So Cal, don't put the aftermarket cable on in place of the factory one. If anything ever happened to the trans or transfer case, it would be an instant denial of warranty.  Great.

Marty - as far as I know and based on what I've read, the mechanic is wrong, warranty cannot be denied due to after-market changes.  See the Magnason-Moss act.

Having said that, you could be in for a fight with a dealership and might even need to hire an attorney to pursue a remedy if the dealership balked at a repair.  If you have a good business relationship with a dealer, chances are good they would work with you to keep you coming back to buy vehicles.

With this particular mechanical issue, it probably wouldn't be very difficult to prove there are indeed widespread problems which the manufacturer chooses to deny (unfortunately an all too common situation.)

Well, not really wrong, but to get into a battle of who's lawyer is better is pretty costly. It just grinds on me that this problem can happen to so many people so often and be ignored.  Yeah the little bushing are cheap to buy, but that's shouldn't be the issue. It's a weak link in an otherwise strong chain. And the fix is not that expensive, as I have already demonstrated.  Even if Jeep just made the appropriate bushings available, heck I would just buy them and get on with it.  But no dice..........

I am currently going through the same exact issue myself.  Unfortunately (but not surprisingly) this problem is not covered under either the Chrysler warranty or my after market warranty.  It appears obviously that this is an issue so I am wondering what I need to or should do about trying to report it.  Not an inexpensive fix and of course when the cable goes....your stuck (literally) sitting wherever you are. 
Being a new wrangler owner (only 4 months with the Wrangler) I am eager to get back on the road and have some FUN!!!
Any suggestions as to how I can help get this issue reported??
Thanks

Hi dora - welcome to The RVforum!

There's not a whole lot you can do to influence Chrysler to mitigate the problem.  Consult with your dealer, call Chrysler and complain, follow up with a letter to both.  There are widespread problems with the JK shift linkage as reported in various forums but only Chrysler knows how many failures per xx vehicles.

Actually this usually is covered under Jeeps usual factory warranty.  How old is your Jeep?  An extended warranty may be another issue.  There have been threads on other Jeep forums where members have written to Chrysler complaining about the problem.  One guy posted his response letter.  Basically it said that they "were not aware" of any issues with the part, blah, blah, blah.

Yet I personally know of dozens of reported cases, some over and over (like mine) that just keep occurring.  A lot of it will relate to how much you shift in and out of 2W Hi range.  If someone rarely shifts the transfer case, I will last for years.  I shift mine several time a week sometimes, or daily if going off road. 

I have a lifetime power train warranty on mine, but taking  it in every time it fails would be impossible for me. Sometimes I am hundreds of miles from the nearest Dealer.  And sometimes I am on the trail in places no tow truck could ever get to.  So I am left to handle it myself.  Yep, it sucks. 

Just to expand on this a little; I've found that the txfr case does not like being loaded while shifting. The prime example is when hooking up to the MH if you don't get neutral on the first try, the linkage gets quite tight due to the tension created by checking to see if you are in neutral (shifting into drive or reverse) and it then requires a lot force to shift. I suspect that if you force it you'll create the broken part.

Ernie

SargeW said:
  ...One guy posted his response letter.  Basically it said that they "were not aware" of any issues with the part, blah, blah, blah.

Yup.  That's like asking airline staff what the cause/reason of ______ problem is.  They must have a corporate training class that teaches them how to [cough] present inaccurate information to keep the public in the dark  (I was going to say lie, but that's politically incorrect.)

I know what you guys are saying. We may know a few people with the same problem,  read on forum about dozens of people with the same problem; then when you go to a dealer, they say they've never seen any thing like that before, kind of hinting that maybe it's 'your fault'.
  Has any one heard of the TJ having this problem?  And if not, what is different about the TJ transfer case linkage? I've never had trouble with mine and have really never looked to see what makes it shift, but I just thought that it was linkage only with no shift cable.  I go from 2 WD to 4WD and to Low range and back to Hi range quite often when off road,  but I can "honestly" say that I've never heard of this problem, but I don't have a JK.

I had two TJ's before this and never had this problem with either of them. As far as I know this is an issue specific to the JK models. 

max49 said:
  I know what you guys are saying. We may know a few people with the same problem,  read on forum about dozens of people with the same problem; then when you go to a dealer, they say they've never seen any thing like that before, kind of hinting that maybe it's 'your fault'.
  Has any one heard of the TJ having this problem?  And if not, what is different about the TJ transfer case linkage? I've never had trouble with mine and have really never looked to see what makes it shift, but I just thought that it was linkage only with no shift cable.  I go from 2 WD to 4WD and to Low range and back to Hi range quite often when off road,  but I can "honestly" say that I've never heard of this problem, but I don't have a JK.

This is not an issue on the TJ/LJ's as they have a mechanically linked shift lever that is attached directly to the transfer case, not a cable like the JK/JKU's.

Mike.

There is another alternative to this.  I have helped a few people with JKs in both campground as well as on the trail and it is a PITA.  I didn't want to be the one everyone was waiting for when my transfer case wouldn't shift so I took the preventative approach and found that Advance Adapters has an upgraded transfer case shift cable for the JK/JKU's.  This cable is a much improved upon cable and uses a billet aluminum shift block rather than the OEM plastic block.  The cable is also much heavier gauge and is fully jacketed with a heavy covering.  It also has heat wrap in the area around where it is close to the exhuast. 

The Advance Adapters part number is 715596.  It is not cheap but it is a well designed and put together kit.  Summit Racing is the cheapest place I have found it @ $185.00.  Quadratec also sells it for a few dollars more, I beleive around $189.00.

I have attached a link to the build thread of my JKU Rubicon to see some picutres of the kit and a few pointers that are not listed in the instructions.  It is a pretty straightforward installation with the only real issue being that the new cable is so much beefier than the OEM it doesn't bend quite as well and makes the installation through the floorboard a little tricky.  I can attest that the shift "feel" is much more positive and firm afterwards.  I have run this now for around 8 months and no issues.  Shifts nice and positive without that factory "flimsy" feeling.

Here is the link to my build thread.  The Advance Adapters cable installation is about 2/3 of the way down on page # 3.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/my-2011-jku-rubicon-build-project-143557-3.html

I hope you find it helpful.

Mike.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom