For 2007 and newer Jeep JK owners- Shift linkage problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
THANK YOU SARGE!

It's not clear to me though, where do I install the small brass part shown in your hand?

It is the bushing that I made to fit inside the shift cable loop.  Look at photo #2 above.  Pictured is the end of the shift cable which is a round loop at the end of the steel shift cable.  Also pictured is the post that the round loop fits over.  The bushing goes inside the loop, which then slides over the post on the shifter.  I used a cotter pin to secure the assembly on the end of the shift linkage pin. 

The flared end of the bushing keeps the cable in place on the shifter pin.  The bushing is taking the place of the plastic bushing part that dried up and fell out. 

Did I clear that up? 

SargeW said:
It is the bushing that I made to fit inside the shift cable loop.  Look at photo #2 above.  Pictured is the end of the shift cable which is a round loop at the end of the steel shift cable.  Also pictured is the post that the round loop fits over.  The bushing goes inside the loop, which then slides over the post on the shifter.  I used a cotter pin to secure the assembly on the end of the shift linkage pin. 

The flared end of the bushing keeps the cable in place on the shifter pin.  The bushing is taking the place of the plastic bushing part that dried up and fell out. 

Did I clear that up?

Thanks, I believe I get it now... The brass bushing fixes one issue but it is in addition to the hose clamp that fixes another issue? 

Long term: you gonna change this POC out and install the Advanced Adaptors Kit?

Yep, right again.  I you refer to the last two pics in the first post, you will see the broken retainer plastic clip, and the screw clamp that fixed the issue.  With the cable ends sliding around, I am sure that they put stress on the plastic cable retainer under the shifter console.  When it finally let go on me in Moab this year, it was just another opportunity to come up with another solution.

And as far as the Advance Adapter fix, I probably will hold off on it.  The reason is that my Jeep (and maybe your Sahara as well) came with a life time power train warranty.  In talking to a buddy who is a Dodge Diesel tech at a Chrysler Jeep dealer near me, he advised not changing anything in the power train that was not stock.  Chrysler would love the opportunity to deny a warranty claim for use of a non-original part used in the power train.  So for now, all of the fixes are holding well.  And as long as nothing else in the power train pops, I will keep with my McGyver fixes. 

SargeW said:
Yep, right again.  I you refer to the last two pics in the first post, you will see the broken retainer plastic clip, and the screw clamp that fixed the issue.  With the cable ends sliding around, I am sure that they put stress on the plastic cable retainer under the shifter console.  When it finally let go on me in Moab this year, it was just another opportunity to come up with another solution.

And as far as the Advance Adapter fix, I probably will hold off on it.  The reason is that my Jeep (and maybe your Sahara as well) came with a life time power train warranty.  In talking to a buddy who is a Dodge Diesel tech at a Chrysler Jeep dealer near me, he advised not changing anything in the power train that was not stock.  Chrysler would love the opportunity to deny a warranty claim for use of a non-original part used in the power train.  So for now, all of the fixes are holding well.  And as long as nothing else in the power train pops, I will keep with my McGyver fixes.

I guess I've been really "lucky" so far, not to have one of these failures.  I shift the TC often, not only to tow but off-road... recently in Utah, probably shifted the TC like 20 times/day.  Maybe I'm already in trouble with the warranty, if I have one, since I changed the front Drive Shaft after the original failed, probably due to the lift kit... but who knows.  Then there's the sway bar disconnects, etc, etc.

It's not that I want to change the shifter cable but after reading all this, it might be a preventive step to avoid a failure in a place where it would be a royal PITA to fix.  There's actually been quick a bit of these sorts of "repairs/upgrades" on this vehicle, including the front bumper, the hood latches, the tailgate trim, the radio antenna, the roof insulation, the speedo calibration, padding on some of the hard plastic in the interior, and so on.

thanks for the insights!

taoshum said:
It's not that I want to change the shifter cable but after reading all this, it might be a preventive step to avoid a failure in a place where it would be a royal PITA to fix. 

Bingo!  That is the key.  After helping a few people in campgrounds and on the trail I didn't want to be "that guy".

Mike.

Sarge,

found this thread, seems applicable...

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82023&highlight=4WD+shifter+cable

We're looking at the possibility of a new toad, and a Jeep is a likely choice. So I have two questions:

1. Is the 2013 Wrangler a JK, or if not, does it still have this plastic bushing problem?
2. Is this also a problem on the Grand Cherokee (this choice if we replace DW's car)?

Larry N. said:
We're looking at the possibility of a new toad, and a Jeep is a likely choice. So I have two questions:

1. Is the 2013 Wrangler a JK, or if not, does it still have this plastic bushing problem?
2. Is this also a problem on the Grand Cherokee (this choice if we replace DW's car)?

Yes, the 2013 Wrangler is still a JK or JKU depending on two-door(JK) or four-door(JKU) model.  The shift linkage is the same as the previous models, actually the entire interior is the same as the 2012 and 2011 models.

The Grand Cherokee's now have the NV245 transfer case which are electronically shifted.

I wouldn't let the linkage deter you from purchasing a Jeep Wrangler.  There are way too many positives to let this one little issue steer you away.  It is a fairly easy permanent fix.

Mike.

One year anniversary on this thread, but I haven't been posting here for a while.  Thanks Sarge for posting this, as I finally bought some of these bushings as I now carry these with me just in case.  :)

Anyone have any pics of HOW YOU REMOVE YOUR CONSOLE to repair this?

Anyone know the Chrysler part number for a new bushing?

I tried to order one from my local dealer before I bothered removing the console and they want to sell me an entire cable for over $100. 

Looks like I may have answered my own question... Found this video on YouTube. Part number is "6806 4273AB - 010"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59N88a5bs6g

Marty,
If Chrysler would deny warranty coverage for a non-stock part, what would they say about your McGyver fix? Seems the same thing to me.

That was a decent video the guy made, but I vehemently disagree with his assertion that you should just replace the cheap plastic bushing with another one and move on.  I had that done the first time by a dealer, and after a 5 hour wait and driving off, 2 months later I was on the side of the road again with a failed bushing.  Trust me, pulling that center console off every time that bushing decides to fail is a huge PITA. 

And it never fails when you are in your driveway on a Saturday morning with nothing else to do.  Since I have replaced the bushing with a brass one the failures are but a distant memory.  And as far as warranty, it is not much of an issue for two reasons. One, since you didn't change anything mechanically with the vehicle it is still operating as designed.

And the other more compelling reason is since Chrysler hosed me on their "unlimited lifetime warranty" what I do to the Jeep no longer matters.  It seems that Chrysler inserted a little hidden clause in their warranty the said that a dealer had to inspect the Jeep within 30 days of the 5 year anniversary to maintain the warranty.  I was never notified about the condition, even though Jeep dealers and Chrysler send me routine emails regularly trying to get me to come in for service or buy more of their products.  What a load of crap.   

kdbgoat said:
Marty,
If Chrysler would deny warranty coverage for a non-stock part, what would they say about your McGyver fix? Seems the same thing to me.
The manufacturer cannot deny warranty coverage for that situation thanks to the Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act.

Since I have replaced the bushing with a brass one the failures are but a distant memory.

Great, but where do you get the brass bushing? Is it a Jeep part, or did you make it? Looks to be specialized, not a generic part.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom