71 gmc 5301

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

treeplanter

Hello, I recently purchased an 71 gmc tdh 5301 conversion with an 8cyl supercharged D.diesel with a three speed transmission with push buttons for F. N. R.About one hour into my drive home on a steep grade the bus kept slowing down and i was or seemed to be losing electrical power,well she came to a stop,engine still running fine,no engaugement of the transmission,had her towed in,the starter was burned out from possibly stuck in the running mode,any ideas or help would be very greatfull,thank you, :-[

yes the starter was rebuilt now the exhaust system needs work,then the mechanic will test drive her,he does not know why the transmission went out of gear yet,he did say when he started it it did want to move,dont want a repeat of what happend again,waiting to hear from him on test drive.

Normally when a starter stays engaged with the engine running, it acts like an out of control generator producing high amperage and voltage, possibly welding electrical contacts together. You might have to replace some switches/relays.Need a wiring schematic to see what is in the circuit through the ignition switch or just plain trace out the circuits affected.

Back
Top Bottom