Ideas about the 'personality' or scope of this 4-wheeling board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
We're off to a rip-roarin' start for rvforum's newest board - thanks to all for jumping right in with posts!

I've been thinking about the persona of this board.  Do we want to be mainly a light chitty-chatty board with little in-depth tech stuff?  Would everybody like to go really tech with build reports, i.e., mods you have documented or had done and documented?  Somewhere in-between?

I'm not sure where everybody's tech capability is, or your desire to get technical.  Marty's post about the transfer case linkage is an excellent example of some very useful techie stuff.

I've documented pulling axles, installing a Rockhard cage, rock sliders, tummy tuck, etc., etc., that I can put up on here, but if most everybody isn't interested in that granular level of detail, I don't want to fill up the board with boring posts that use up a lot of my time.

So let's kick this around - you guys figure out what direction we want to steer the ship.

I think more info is always better. If it is not a person's "Cup of Tea" they will move on.
The space a post takes up on the server is minimal. If you are really worried about it, host the images off site at photobucket. I am so used to inline images that I did that in this post, #13:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=5939.0
I captioned the images and spaced out the links so they made sense in a narrative way.

Nice thing about forum's John, is that you only have to read what interests you. I would like to see it all. Even though I might not be building my Jeep to the same level someone else is, it's really nice to check out others ideas and projects. Sometimes part of someones project fits in with and helps what another is doing. I would also like to see pics and locations of outings, mechanical issues and repairs, and anything else pertaining to 4-wheeling. JM2C

Water Dog said:
Nice thing about forum's John, is that you only have to read what interests you. I would like to see it all. Even though I might not be building my Jeep to the same level someone else is, it's really nice to check out others ideas and projects. Sometimes part of someones project fits in with and helps what another is doing. I would also like to see pics and locations of outings, mechanical issues and repairs, and anything else pertaining to 4-wheeling. JM2C
Hear, hear!

Great!  Thanks for the feedback guys!  I'm going to collect comments for a while longer - need to give folks a chance to discover us and make some (if any) remarks.

"Dear John",

Love the sound of that... never mind.

Scope:  In a way, you are attempting to put in one category the threads and categories that take up entire forums on other sites.  The difference is that this one can have a super strong RV core and a "4-wheelin" theme... whereas the "Jeep Forum" has about 100 categories and thousands of threads, just on Jeeps; the JK Forum is also very large and breaks the JK subject into many categories.  However, try to find a tie-in to RV's and it's rare.  So, if you take this theme and develop it... RV's and 4-wheelin'... I bet it will develop a "life" of its own, somewhat naturally.  There are many facets of "RV's and 4 Wheelin" that certainly not even discussed in the "Jeep or FJ Forums"... like tow bars, or RV parks near great 4-wheelin' places, or which tires tow well, or if you do a lift kit what does that do to the tow bar?, or planning outings, or comparing what to carry in the tow vehicle that is useful when 4-wheelin', or how do older folks even get into (or out of) a lifted Jeep?, etc.  Maybe you want a "sticky" with links to these other sites for technical Jeep or FJ or ? discussions?  There's certainly a large community of RV people who tow 4WD vehicles and then drive 'em all over the place.  For instance, how do folks configure a two door Jeep to do everything needed while traveling in a RV?  A four door Jeep?  A Suzuki?  How to carry dogs, groceries, chairs, shovels, etc. 

It's potentially a large subject area...with special needs when coupled to RVs.

I was on an Xterra forum earlier because that's what I drive. Similar to Jeep they go deep in build threads, etc. However not much on RV related. Just responded to a thread over there on WD hitch.

I foresee this as a spot to share camping/offroad experiences. Nice trails near a nice campround. Trail rating, can you run stock or need a heavy modded rig.

In the end though, it will self define itself by the contributers as they will post on topics they like.

taoshum said:
Scope:  In a way, you are attempting to put in one category the threads and categories that take up entire forums on other sites. ..It's potentially a large subject area...with special needs when coupled to RVs.

Quite so.  Good comments, thanks!

One of the problems of linking to build threads and other pictures in some of the Jeep forums (or other forums) is they require you resister just to view an image (which I intensely dislike.)

I don't even have a Jeep, but the last two years at Moab, I got a strong taste of Jeep envy.

I will enjoy the detail because it gives non-owners some perspective of what is involved if they should jump in. The tips about parks and trails will give a taste of what is out there to do, if I should buy and tow a Jeep or similar off road vehicle.

To a previous poster's point, if you don't want to wander through the detail, there's a button for that.

I am looking forward to watching the thread develop and I also think it will find its own way.

Thanks for taking the time to expand our knowledge. Many of us live vicariously through the exploits of others. :)

John -When Tom announced this part of the forum he said something like he didn't want to compete with 4x4 forums. It sounds like that is your plan. If you do expand the 4x4 section then could we expand the photography section to include a place for Sony users, Canon users, etc? I think you should keep it to 4x4 as they relate to RVs.

Tom S,

I agree with you!!!  If we become a "Heavy Duty In-Depth" 4WD forum it will overly dilute our original forum as it has been for a dozen years or so.  Already John has added 3 or more 4WD sticky topics on four wheel driving and in pushing for more on 4WD.  I feel that the 4WD topics could change the focus of our beloved forum which might leave many of our long time members out.

JerryF

JerArdra said:
Tom S,

I agree with you!!!  If we become a "Heavy Duty In-Depth" 4WD forum it will overly dilute our original forum as it has been for a dozen years or so.  Already John has added 3 or more 4WD sticky topics on four wheel driving and in pushing for more on 4WD.  I feel that the 4WD topics could change the focus of our beloved forum which might leave many of our long time members out.

JerryF

I respectfully disagree. There are currently topics on Hobbies & Crafts, Photography, Music, PC's, On the Air Waves, Outdoor Activies, and On the Water. I don't see the harm for one more activity that many of us are interested in as RVer's, and I don't think it will take anything away from the focus of the forum. While it's true that not evryone here is involved in this activity, that same thing holds true for the others as well. I do have to be honest though, I'm not really sure what a "sticky topic" is.. :)

Oh, btw, the main thing that I like about this forum as opposed to the Jeep forums is that THIS is the friendly place....!

... I'm not really sure what a "sticky topic" is..

Dennis, a 'sticky' topic is merely one that stays at the top of the respective message board. If you click on, for example, this 4-wheeling board, you'll see four messages at the top, each with an icon of a 'stick pin' in the left column. It merely means that these four messages will always show at the top unless/until a staff member 'un-stickies' them.

One advantage of a 'sticky' is that it's immediately visible to a newcomer or someone who doesn't visit the forum or message board very often, and doesn't require them to wade through/past all the other topics to stumble on it.

I see nothing in any of the four sticky topics here that suggest we're planning to do anything beyond what was in my announcement. John is merely  trying to understand what our forum members wish to see/discuss here. Anyone who has no interest can visit their Profile and use the Ignore boards option.

BTW anyone who reads the Winnebago-specific issues board here on the forum will know that John is partial to stickies  ;D

John,

I think this is a useful addition, particularly in the area of RV related issues. A little technical goes a long ways (and its easy to find), but its nearly impossible to find: towing related information, which RV parks are close to whatever (we're currently parked near the Conejo river in S. Colorado for a Fly Fishing episode; many smaller venues nearby that benefit from 4-wheel access), where are RV'ers 4-wheeling, Rallies with a 4-wheel component, etc, etc.

I think the deep technical is not appropriate beyond what you might do to the vehicle (as opposed to how) and why - benefits of a lift? downsides?, etc. It probably is good to provide links to the detailed prodedural information.

All of that said, and as noted above, the forum will define itself as more people find it and start posting their questions.

Meanwhile, thanks for starting a very interesting discussion,

Ernie

We've always had lots of discussions on four-wheeling as it applies to RVing and our rallies and I've liked that content.  We do the same with photography and other hobby-type subjects.  I would hate to see the RV Forum become overly done with content on any subject that is better covered elsewhere.  Even though I like to go four wheeling or off roading, I am not interested in having it become a major content of our RV Forum and I'm already starting to feel overwhelmed with too many Four-wheeling topics and too many stickies in that board.

ArdraF

Water Dog said:
I respectfully disagree. There are currently topics on Hobbies & Crafts, Photography, Music, PC's, On the Air Waves, Outdoor Activies, and On the Water. I don't see the harm for one more activity that many of us are interested in as RVer's, and I don't think it will take anything away from the focus of the forum. While it's true that not evryone here is involved in this activity, that same thing holds true for the others as well. I do have to be honest though, I'm not really sure what a "sticky topic" is.. :)
Water Dog - Jerry and I are not suggesting that the 4x4 section should be eliminated. We just don't think that it should turn into a full blown 4x4 forum. I think the 4x4 section is a great idea. There are lots of RVs with 4x4s and this would be a great spot for info on 4x4s in relation to RVing.

I agree with Jerry, Ernie and Ardra and Tom S. summed up my feelings quite nicely.

I enjoy reading about the framily off-roading adventures and enjoy the pictures.  I would hate to see the RV Forum become overly focused on the technical aspects of this hobby.  Other forums exist which handle this more appropriately.

Margi

I posted elsewhere here about tow brackets specifically for a jeep.  Received a few responses.....not many.

I like the tech aspect of the 4x4 wheeling board, especially how it relates to toads and RVing.....The "framily" chatter, while good, could certainly be posted elsewhere.  ;)

Tom and Margi said:
Other forums exist which handle this more appropriately.

That's true, but there is one big difference. As already noted, this is a friendly, respectful forum. And thus having a certain amount of tech stuff is good for it's members. I am a member of a couple of different Jeep forums, but rarely post there due to the majority of the members are teens and twenty somethings who believe that rude and obnoxious is a normal response. 

I also believe that if a subject doesn't interest you, don't click on it. Precisely why I specifically labeled my tech post so clearly. Some folks won't care about it, and I would expect no interest from them. But the group of folks that have that vehicle may find it invaluable. 

It would be like telling someone in the Photography forum that they shouldn't talk about F stops, Macro Lens', or meters because some may find it boring. If I don't find it interesting, I move on to the next  post. The 4X4 forum should be run the same way.

John Canfield said:
One of the problems of linking to build threads and other pictures in some of the Jeep forums (or other forums) is they require you resister just to view an image (which I intensely dislike.)

It's the same here at RVForum.net.  You can't see the pictures unless you are a registered member.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinldy71
Back
Top Bottom