Ideas about the 'personality' or scope of this 4-wheeling board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm already starting to feel overwhelmed with too many Four-wheeling topics and too many stickies in that board.

Ardra, surely you jest? 14 topics out of nearly 50,000 can hardly be considered overwhelming, especially since several of them are older topics I moved there here to keep this stuff in one place; They're all related to 4-wheeling in one way or another, and they're all on a 4-wheeling board.

Since this appears to be deja vu from prior times when I've previously opened new boards, I strongly suggest that folks visit their Profile and activate the Ignore Boards option. PLEASE let's not have a repeat of what we went through on those prior occasions.
Edit: Fixed typo.

I don't like technical discussions about anything, whether it's 4WD, photography, computers, so I don't read them. Choice is a wonderful thing so read or don't read but why block the things that others want?

Wendy

Nobody is suggesting blocking anything. 

The title of this thread seeks ideas. Did you really want our ideas about 'personality' or scope, or did you just want ideas and opinions which agree with your own?  And, yes, I will exercise my choice and just not read the super tech stuff.

Margi

What I'd like to see related to 4WD, and what I will read here, is tales about 4WD trips, especially easy places that we can go.

Wendy

Wendy said:
What I'd like to see related to 4WD, and what I will read here, is tales about 4WD trips, especially easy places that we can go.

Wendy

I agree, Wendy.  My previous post sounded like I was responding to you but I was really responding to the notion implied by others that we should not have expressed our opinions.

Margi

zzyzx said:
Water Dog - Jerry and I are not suggesting that the 4x4 section should be eliminated. We just don't think that it should turn into a full blown 4x4 forum. I think the 4x4 section is a great idea. There are lots of RVs with 4x4s and this would be a great spot for info on 4x4s in relation to RVing.

Sorry, I think I might have misunderstood the intent..... :-[ I think we all agree, that the forum should not evolve into another 4x4 forum.

.... I was really responding to the notion implied by others that we should not have expressed our opinions.

Margi, just so there's no misunderstanding, nobody has suggested or implied that you shouldn't express your opinion. But, it's clear that some folks have pre-judged this message board and what it might turn into. The last couple of times I opened a new message board, both public and private communications started the same way and soon turned rather sour. It was clear that some folks were close to blowing a gasket, all because some folks they didn't agree with me opening the board.

I'd prefer not to go down that same road again, and I have no desire to see folks get emotionally distressed this time around. So I made my plea for folks who have no interest to take advantage of a profile feature, and they won't see this board again.

Tom said:
Margi, just so there's no misunderstanding, nobody has suggested or implied that you shouldn't express your opinion. But, it's clear that some folks have pre-judged this message board and what it might turn into. The last couple of times I opened a new message board, both public and private communications started the same way and soon turned rather sour. It was clear that some folks were close to blowing a gasket, all because some folks they didn't agree with me opening the board.

I'd prefer not to go down that same road again, and I have no desire to see folks get emotionally distressed this time around. So I made my plea for folks who have no interest to take advantage of a profile feature, and they won't see this board again.

I'm not the least bit interested in stringing out this discussion.  I don't agree that it's clear that some folks have pre-judged and I also haven't noticed anybody seeming emotionally distressed.  That sounds a bit defensive to me.

Why ask for ideas if you don't wish to hear them?  You're suggesting that those of us who are not interested in the technical part of 4x4ing block the new board.  Some of us are very interested in hearing about the adventures and seeing the pictures; therefore, blocking the whole board won't work for us.  I'll just not read the tech messages.  No big deal!

Margi

... I also haven't noticed anybody seeming emotionally distressed.

That was a stated reference to last time around, and an explanation of why I don't want things to deteriorate to that point again.

That sounds a bit defensive to me.

Defensive in the sense that I have no desire or intention of putting up with the nonsense I observed previously, some (much) of it directed at me personally.

How about we see how this board works out. If it strays into areas it shouldn't, we can always do a correction.

My admin/moderator hat off ......

Some things I'd like to see as a regular forum member:

We have a number of off-roading friends, some of whom are what I've considered to be a little nutty. I politely smile when they show or tell me about their latest tricked-out vehicle, but it's often a disguised deer-in-the-headlights look. Reading some of the 'why and how' technical stuff would hopefully give me a better understanding, and maybe I could then have somewhat intelligent discussions with these friends.

I've yet to figure out why folks subject their vehicles and bodies to some of the stuff I see, but I have no desire to join another forum to understand. Hopefully I can gain some insight from not-too-hard discussions here, and maybe will become a convert and participate in more of the activities of forum members.

I'm sure there are other things that don't readily come to mind.

Admin/moderator hat back on .....

Tom said:
I've yet to figure out why folks subject their vehicles and bodies to some of the stuff I see...

As a Jeep newbie, it is quite amazing... both what these vehicles can do and the stuff that people do with the vehicles... our Jeep never ceases to amaze me that it can actually do what it does and in hindsight, makes it seem "ok" to do it again or go on another trail...  All the while, going places that very few people ever see.  Then I see videos or pics of the really tough trails and it scares me to even watch.  BTW, some of them do tumble or roll over during these excursions.  Hard to even imagine being inside when that happens.  And the Jeep modification business and accessories... it is gigantic... we must get a new catalog every week with parts for Jeeps older than me and younger than yesterday.  Kinda like the RV catalogs, I guess.

We've been on the road all day and I see we've had a little activity in this thread  :D.

This is a friendly and gentle reminder to please stay on topic.  As a refresher, the essence of the question for those of you interested in reading/participating in the 4x4 board is:

I've been thinking about the persona of this board.  Do we want to be mainly a light chitty-chatty board with little in-depth tech stuff?  Would everybody like to go really tech with build reports, i.e., mods you have documented or had done and documented?  Somewhere in-between?

Two or three reasons why I haven't mod'ed my Jeep.  1). I spend nearly all my spare cash on my MH.  2). It is hard enough for us old farts to get in and out without adding a lift and/or bigger wheels and tires.  3).  DW ain't too hep with the idea (biggest reason).  So, a trail runner I'll be.  Besides I love poking around old forest and mining roads, which are great as long as I don't make the DW gasp.  I am, however, very interested in doing my own work in making the danged thang keep rolling, so that kind of tech talk interests me. If it gets real deep, I can take it and will enjoy reading about the how-to's in towing, mods and in driving techniques.

John Canfield said:
I've been thinking about the persona of this board.  Do we want to be mainly a light chitty-chatty board with little in-depth tech stuff?  Would everybody like to go really tech with build reports, i.e., mods you have documented or had done and documented?  Somewhere in-between?[/size][/b]

John,
I love  chitty chatty as it is a way to keep up personally with RVForum Friends.  However I think there may be  value in the indepth stuff for those considering such a venture.  I'm certain that the  4x4 discussions will evolve  to the interest and delight of all.

If some have no interest then I suggest they  do as I do with the Fishing Board....ignore it.  My 2 cents and worth every penny!

As many of you know, Pat & I have participated in MANY off road adventures. We've never owned a Jeep and probably never will. We've had a lot of fun taking the hard road with many members of this forum. Not once did anyone complain about these adventures. Some of our most treasured moments were off road such as our first Ridge Ride, about which I have written in the past. :)

I see nothing wrong with having a section devoted to these activities that so many people enjoy. One does not have to read all of the section. You can look at the thread and decide if it's too technical to enjoy or if it's a report of a great ride enjoyed by many. I can't see this taking over the RV forum to the point we will no longer talk about all the other good things that come from this lifestyle.

We may never be able to enjoy these adventures like we did in the past but that doesn't preclude us from enjoying reading about them. Yes, it just might make me jealous that we can't participate as we did. If that becomes the case, I can easily IGNORE the section. It's just another RV related subject!

For the folks who prefer not to view this message board (or any of our message boards) ....

In addition to my prior suggestion to visit your Profile and activate the Ignore Boards option, there's also another option that will hide an entire category of message boards; Depending on how you view the forum, you can click the '-' symbol to the far right of the category name. To restore the category, just click the '+' sign. The attached screen shots show the result on of collapsing and restoring a category.

This is also explained in the Forum Navigation And Usage Tips message board.

Edit: Renamed attachments for clarification.

Attachments

• Collapse_category.jpg
    Collapse_category.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Restore_category.jpg
    Restore_category.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 2
I finally got a chance to look at the topics under the 4-wheeling board and all look reasonable except for the very last one.  It's by Ron Marabito describing one of our Quartzsite rally trail rides (4x4 trip, Tuesday, Quartzsite Rally 07).  See http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=9188.0.  I think it would be more appropriate to keep trail rides at rallies within the Rallies board.  I suspect Ron would be looking for his topic under Quartzsite rallies if he wanted to look for it, as I think most of us would be doing.  I always look for specific rallies to find photos of people and events.

If someone organizes a trail ride that's not during one of the RV Forum rallies and wants to post photos, then I suppose that would appropriately be under the 4-wheeling board.  But let's leave the rallies trail rides within the specific rally topic.  We organize ours by the rally, such as Moab, Quartzsite, or whatever so we can find them easily.  What we don't need is to confuse everyone by posting some rally photos within the rally topic and others within the 4-wheeling topic.

ArdraF

Ardra,

I agree. We should keep rally related subjects to each rally thread. Let's face it, most of our rally rides are not extreme so many folks can go even though they don't have a hard core 4X4.  :)

I'll third that with the proviso that I do think its appropriate to post the fact of an upcoming rally that is also a 4-wheeling opportunity to the 4-wheeling board as well.
Ernie

Thanks for the link Ardra  ;)

I checked the logs, and it was my error in moving that topic to this 4-wheeling board; It was a standalone topic, not part of a rally discussion, which is how such rally-related activities are normally handled. I'd run a search on "4x4", "4-wheeling" or similar, and moved it without fully reading the subject line; Shame on me  :-[ I've now moved it back to the Rallies board here.

With that resolved, hopefully we can return to forum business as usual  ???

.... we can always do a correction.

Note to myself - aye, that's what we just did.

I do think its appropriate to post the fact of an upcoming rally that is also a 4-wheeling opportunity to the 4-wheeling board as well

Agreed Ernie, and we'd probably just a post a link here pointing to the topic on the other board or vice versa, depending on the situation. e.g. some folks might decide to meet up for an unorganized 4-wheeling week(end), and mention it here; Later they realize there might be greater interest and decide it might be an opportunity to invite others, turning it into a rally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom