I guess I was just cheap!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mphy98

I put new shocks on the class A a couple of months ago.  I do not know if Iwas just being cheap or stupid not doing it before.  I was always told that a gas shock was not worn out unless it is leaking oil.  NO WAY!  I just got back from a canadian trip and the difference was night and day!  No more bump bump bump on every tar strip and crack.  The ride was quiet and beautiful.  So just because someone tells you your shocks are good, go with your gut.  I should have changed them a few years earlier.  I only have 30k miles on her and she is a 1999.  So if your ride is stiff, change your shocks. You and your wife will be glad you did!  1999 Ford f53 chassis by the way.

What shocks did you chose?

I have a '97 F53 and changed to Monroe gas shocks last year and, I too, noticed a big improvement in the ride.  I also added front air bags inflated to about 23psi to get a smooth ride without bounce. 
I was a few years too late on the upgrade also.  The old girl is actually a pleasure to drive now.

Ours always look like they're still good but we've learned that when the RV keeps rocking  when we turn into a store or gas station entry that it's time to change them. It does make a big difference!

The shocks were about $85.00 each and I installed them myself.  It would take a shop about an hour for the front and an hour for the rears.  Easy job.  You just need the BIG sockets.

Did you need anything wrench-wise beyond a 1/2" ratchet?  Extension bar?  Was anything rusted shut in a crazy way?  I might attempt this job eventually, although my front Monroe shocks ('94 F53) were replaced by the previous owner and SHOULD still be in pretty good shape.  That was in 2006-2007 but I think I've put less that 5k weekend/vacationer miles on the RV since then.

I definitely needed a breaker bar AND an impact wrench, but I'm also 74 yrs old.

Just Lou said:
I definitely needed a breaker bar AND an impact wrench, but I'm also 74 yrs old.

I hope I can still do my maintenance when I'm 74.  There's nothing like the feeling of knowing you did it yourself and it was done right.  I see too many "professionals" that take short cuts, which I believe are ill advised.  My hats off to you.

Yes iI used an impact wrench to get the nuts busted loose.  Otherwise it would have been a bear.  But oh so smooth ride now.

I replaced the shocks on a 1975 IH Scout last year.  The ones I took off were made by Western Auto.  I don't believe I've seen a Western Auto Store since the 70s. :eek:

Lowell said:
I replaced the shocks on a 1975 IH Scout last year.  The ones I took off were made by Western Auto.  I don't believe I've seen a Western Auto Store since the 70s. :eek:

If it makes you feel any better, central IL had Western Auto in the 1990's.  ;)  It was later converted into an Auto Zone or Pro Tire I think.  Either way the name had been gone for a couple decades at least.

Sears bought the Western Auto chain and later (1998, according to Wiki) merged it with Advance Auto Parts. Most stores became either a small Sears outlet or an Advance Auto store, but a small number of associate stores stayed in business under the Western Auto name. We came across one in Maine last summer and I recall seeing one in Washington state a couple years ago.

When I replaced the shocks on the Bounder the biggest change I noticed instantly was that it didnt rock in any direction anymore when I went over something.  There were a couple of places in normal use (One of them being where I store my RV) that get the rig swaying left right and front back like sailing a very small boat in the wrong weather.  Once bump and the rig was swaying at least 3 sometimes 5 times.  New shocks and magically it never sways more than once in any direction.  I am wondering if Possibly I should have gone with Monroe shocks because the Koni's are a tad harsh.  (I got the Koni's for a Monroe price, otherwise I probably would have bought the Monroes.)

The wife loves that its not like piloting a boat anymore so less sickness; but the kid misses the rocking, he thought it was great fun!  I guess you just can't please everyone.

Jeff

My 2008 Winne has Bilstein Shocks with 16K miles on it.  Rides seems OK to me.  I like the idea of adding air bags though.

Lou, I didn't know you could get front air bags. I've only seen rear. Are those easy to install? And where would one go for a set? I was planning on doing shocks this year, but my money is Going to the parking brake this year.

farmer dan said:
Lou, I didn't know you could get front air bags. I've only seen rear. Are those easy to install? And where would one go for a set? I was planning on doing shocks this year, but my money is Going to the parking brake this year.

Dan, these are the ones that I installed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom